Which modem should I purchase ?

• Thread starter Thread starter bimal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,934

bimal

ISP
MTNL
Hello , I am a new user and I have applied for MTNL 848 NU. I have opted to purchase an adsl modem. Which is the best among D-Link -502t ,airtel-beetel 220x and Linksys am300 . I am sceptical about d-link due to past experience with lan router.I have a few queries1) If I choose to use bridge connection wherein i manually start the connection from windows (the modem will be left on 24/7) is it still necessary to switch on & off the modem physically at 12:00 midnight to avail unlimited access as instructed on mtnl website2) worst case scenario if for some reason my pc hangs and it fails to shutdown/or i forget to switch off modem at 8:00 am ,all the data downloaded from 12-8am will be billed. Is this true? pls help

Pls post a suggestion 🙁

1.The modem/router you intend to buy can have facilities for future use.
For info about modems/routers. prices may be lower in India.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3870

2.For instance do you intend to buy a laptop computer and work in wireless mode ?
3.Do you plan to start a server and upload your own web pages ?
4.You buy a plain modem and later buy a WIfi router or
5. Buy a three in one now itself ? modem+router 4 lan port+ wifi
6. Your budget. Price wise Netgear seems lower priced and Buffalo costlier.
Para two :1 recommended. auto schedulers are available. In search type " schedulers"
2. No idea about MTNL usage records. 1 above should take care of this.
will give a link.
link-removed.com/files/136130113/iBroadBandHelper.zip.html

Hello , I am a new user and I have applied for MTNL 848 NU. I have opted to purchase an adsl modem. Which is the best among D-Link -502t ,airtel-beetel 220x and Linksys am300 . I am sceptical about d-link due to past experience with lan router.

I have a few queries

1) If I choose to use bridge connection wherein i manually start the connection from windows (the modem will be left on 24/7) is it still necessary to switch on & off the modem physically at 12:00 midnight to avail unlimited access as instructed on mtnl website

2) worst case scenario if for some reason my pc hangs and it fails to shutdown/or i forget to switch off modem at 8:00 am ,all the data downloaded from 12-8am will be billed. Is this true?

pls help

U can buy D-Link dsl-2640t it is great.

I suggest the Linksys AM300. Expensive compared to D-Link but never read about a problem with it anywhere. As for Netgear I could not find a wired Netgear ADSL2+ modem in India with one port. D-link is problematic and its something I keep reading and hearing quite frequently. The AM300 is also the most compact among modems from respectable brands like Linksys, D-link,etc