Which is the cheapest broadband in India?

• Thread starter Thread starter Stanley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 30,887

Stanley

ISP
BSNL
Hi all,My home is in Chennai where we have BSNL DataOne. But, I mostly stay at hostel in Vellore where I study.I got a slightly old PC for myself at my room (hostel) recently. I am looking for a cheap internet connection. Since I will be paying for it from my pocket money, I want it to be really really cheap, both initial cost and recurring monthly charges.Please tell me which will work out to be the cheap overall. I need less than 400 MB download per month or less than 200 hours per month. I think volume based plans will be beneficial. I don't care about the speeds as long as it is above 2KB/s (16kbps).My choices so far: BSNL dataone (but costs 350+250 a month min for 400mb and huge setup fee). How about airtel and tata. Do they have cheaper plans? How about Sify?Or, should I get airtel gprs? I currently have airtel pre-paid and with net on phone activated, but I couldn't figure out how to use it with computer.Thanks!Stan.

the cheapest broadband award goes to : http://www.sifybroadband.com/

Also since its hostel... try going in for Airtel.. I heared its good..

I mean GPRS used on pc.. I also need some light on airtel.. I hope someone comes to rescue!! 😛

i suggest u go for nothing !!cheapest broadband is... NO broadband 🙂 zero rupees per month

If you already have a cell phone with GPRS then get your cellular provider to activate your GPRS and use that to connect to the net. my friend uses that and he says its better then dail up and has a fixed cost of only Rs.200 (he has an airtel connection). Initial cost is of only 200 to 400 for getting the cable to connect your pc to your phone. If have reliance ka phone then you can try using that too. the best part is that with GPRS you can have internet on your cellphone too. if you are happy with a 16kbps connection with no download limit and costing only 200 per month with no initial cost then go for a GPRS connection. Also my friend says that it is more reliable. Only hassle is setting up the connection. it is pretty easy on a Nokia phone but on others you would have to do some searching on how exactly to do that.

if you want cheap AND good... check out airtel's new 128 kbps unlimited package which should cost you about 700 per month in all 🙂if you try to go for cheaper you might get lower quality service also... more headaches 4 u

Originally posted by vishalrao@Oct 9 2005, 06:19 PM
i suggest u go for nothing !!

cheapest broadband is... NO broadband 🙂 zero rupees per month
[snapback]27896[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah! ROFL. TOo Funny. Really.

Originally posted by Fred@Oct 9 2005, 06:52 PM
Sify is pretty cheap. or do you mean in terms of money?
[snapback]27905[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nice one 😉 Btw., I just learnt that there's no sify in my place - Vellore. So, option off...

Originally posted by Prophet of the Pimps@Oct 9 2005, 10:39 PM
If you already have a cell phone with GPRS then get your cellular provider to activate your GPRS and use that to connect to the net. my friend uses that and he says its better then dail up and has a fixed cost of only Rs.200 (he has an airtel connection). Initial cost is of only 200 to 400 for getting the cable to connect your pc to your phone. If have reliance ka phone then you can try using that too. the best part is that with GPRS you can have internet on your cellphone too. if you are happy with a 16kbps connection with no download limit and costing only 200 per month with no initial cost then go for a GPRS connection. Also my friend says that it is more reliable. Only hassle is setting up the connection. it is pretty easy on a Nokia phone but on others you would have to do some searching on how exactly to do that.
[snapback]27953[/snapback]
[/quote]

Where do you live? In Tamilnadu, it costs Rs.600 month for post-paid gprs connection in airtel!

Originally posted by Prophet of the Pimps@Oct 10 2005, 03:09 PM
mine is 200 bucks per month in mumbai. its cheaper for those on pre paid scheme i think.
[snapback]28022[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does it work on PC ?? what speed? and lissen they tld me its 12rs per day for GPRS.. airtel!! 🤔 🤔 🤔

well my sister has the Airtel gprs active on her O2XDA mini which features full web surfing capability and not just wap. on that with the GPRS i have gotten good speeds. it takes 10 minutes for me to download a 5 mb file of the net. sometimes on peak hours connection is a pain. As for gprs on the computer my friend has had a good experience only problem is that you have to disconnect after an hour or so because the cell phones battery get depleted.

well buddy we can use airtel unlimited?? il go for it.. plz give me some good info!

Yea I also have airtel gprs (Net on Phone), and it costs only Rs.99 per month. Though I could browse all sites and not just wap ones, I just couldn't connect it from PC to access net from PC. The Customer Service guys told me you couldn't browse from pc using this connection. They said it will be possible only in post-paid which costs Rs.600 per month... 🙁Any comments?Thanks.