• Thread starter Thread starter arnav_ch
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,596

arnav_ch

Regulars
ISP
2 mbps @ 849NU(MTNL)
which will be the best modem to purchase for mtnl.i want to use it for my desktop pc.also , please tell me the approximate cost and where i can get it in mumbai.

I'm not sure which is the best modem to buy. I'm considering a cpl of options right now. D-Link DSL 200 modem:The biggest advantage of this modem is its USB powered (no external power source needed). It will work even if there is no electricity (laptop running on battery). The only problem being it is an ADSL modem (not ADSL 2+). What do u think guys? Will it still work on MTNL Tri-Band ADSL2 +? I'm convinced it will work, since I only will be subscribing for 256Kbps speed...but just need more answers. Lemme know guys !Cheers.

I think it is a better option to purchase modem as risk involved is nil also the rental for modem has been slashed from 80 to 50rs in delhi.

@alecsmarti don't think it will work.the best option is to go for the ones mentioned by mtnl. the list is# D-Link 502 T# Comtrend CT-564# Westell A –90-30199-07# ZyXEL Prestige 660 H –61# Erricsson HM410c# Xavi(7722+)

Dear Arnav,The best thing to do is to rent the modem from MTNL as then they cannot hold you responsible for any lack of service that they might have.Among the modems my experience with D-Link GLB502T has not been good(The original DSL502T is not available nowadays ?out of production). I have heard good reports about Westell A –90-30199-07 but I know of only one person using it(also not a lot of support on the net about it).

There are no two ways about it - Rent the modem.

but in mumbai, they are telling high waiting times to rent a modem.anyone of u using a self bought modem.did u have any problems.

If you're going for the 256kbps speed plan, then an 'ADSL' modem should be ok.Unless MTNL brings out higher speeds at affordable rates for home users... then u might consider getting an ADSL2+ modemDo you have frequent power cuts in your area? If so, u could opt for the USB powered modem, else you should be fine with an externally powered modem... and go for an ADSL2+ modem (there isn't much difference in the price anyways) I purchased a D-Link DSL-502T last November in Mumbai (Borivli) for about Rs.3000. You should be able to find one in any PC hardware store or try Lamington road. No problems with it so far. If it fails on you for some reason, u can fix it by pushing a reset button on the modem. I probably done that just 3-4 times when experimenting with some settings on the modem. The only issue I've had with it is after I switched to Linux. The firmware interface buttons do not respond in Firefox. Got that solved by using Opera. I haven't used the other brands of modems, so can't comment on 'em. However, the D-Link modem is supplied with DSL comnnections by major ISP's worldwide, so you're more likely to find support on tech forums in case you encounter problems.

i got it for r.s 2500 last year[aug] .ppls buying modem should go for two ethernet port router keeping iptv in mind.

but they have stopped production for DSL502T.now they make GLB502T which many users are having problems with.also after buying your own modem, did u have any problems like u had to replace it etc.

I have a UTStar 300R2U modem. No probs at all, works fine for me. the best solution is to rent the modem.The reason behind this is that you don't get proper customer service from the MTNL guys, and you can't even hold them responsible for any incompatbility problems that might arise later on. So the best way (according to me) is to rent a modem.

UT300r2U running continuously for past 3 months, no glitches, no heating probs, running fine ..D-Link 502T model is crap.

thank you for all ur replies.i have bought a Netgear router DG632 for 1665 incl of all taxes alongwoth a 2 yr warrenty.will get a connection by today.