which foreign language to take in school???

• Thread starter Thread starter Toocool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 11,968
Can't we allow a kid to do what he wants than force our opinions on him? All we should do is advice him, that's where our duty finishes.

Well, why not one just hand over kids some money and let him decide which school to go to and decide his own means of transport, wear whatever he wants (get nose piercings at that age, etc) . Maybe let him smoke weed as well if he wants?

no one suggested here mandarin? plus i am also in favor of kid picking his own choice of language.

^My point here is - Are you able to make him understand the pluses and minuses of each language? Will he understand? Are getting marks the objective? Or something that may help him learn a culture is important? Career advice? If you do end up explaining all this - Do you seriously believe the kid would be able to judge what is good at this point.Now, lets say your company has self-improvement programs and they ask you to learn one of these. Are you (leave aside cases where one just wants it done and dusted) seriously able to judge what would be good for you, so easily? *** This is not for Toocool's kid - But generally most kids mentality,At this point, for the kid the most fanciful sounding reason would be the deciding factor. If someone throws a scare about a language, he is likely to switch . If someone tells him the teacher is strict & beats up students who dont study, he might switch, someone tells him the teacher is often on leave, he might want to switch, his best friend or group wants to be part of a particular class, he will want to switch. *****In conclusion, my view is that what you learn now cant really a deciding factor for career at so early an age. Its only for scoring marks and/or learning about a culture (provided they would teach something of that). But, having said that, one needs to definitely involve and decide or help decide what would be good for him/her as they have not reached an age wherein they would be capable of judging whats good for them.

German is bitch to learn and If he stops it, he'll pretty much forget the language. But its his choice ..but do tell him about french benefits eh monsuier?

my nephew has taken german and the parents dont even look at the books and the nephew gets A+ marks😛

select french , its bit easy and little bit widely used

like manu and mhsabir was saying in earlier posts , taking foreign language in schools will come less handy in later stages of life
but if a person does a crash course later after schooling it will be easy to pick up compared to others

i did a 3 months crash course on hindi and i can speak fairly better than my sister who had hindi right from her school
but she has the basics which i dont

no one suggested here mandarin? plus i am also in favor of kid picking his own choice of language.

thats not even an option man............look at op ;-)

^ bad admin and his eyes 😀

In conclusion, my view is that what you learn now cant really a deciding factor for career at so early an age. Its only for scoring marks and/or learning about a culture (provided they would teach something of that). But, having said that, one needs to definitely involve and decide or help decide what would be good for him/her as they have not reached an age wherein they would be capable of judging whats good for them.

i think thats why toocool opened this thread , he is asking suggestions from others right .

^My point here is - Are you able to make him understand the pluses and minuses of each language? Will he understand? Are getting marks the objective? Or something that may help him learn a culture is important? Career advice? If you do end up explaining all this - Do you seriously believe the kid would be able to judge what is good at this point.

Now, lets say your company has self-improvement programs and they ask you to learn one of these. Are you (leave aside cases where one just wants it done and dusted) seriously able to judge what would be good for you, so easily?

*** This is not for Toocool's kid - But generally most kids mentality,
At this point, for the kid the most fanciful sounding reason would be the deciding factor. If someone throws a scare about a language, he is likely to switch . If someone tells him the teacher is strict & beats up students who dont study, he might switch, someone tells him the teacher is often on leave, he might want to switch, his best friend or group wants to be part of a particular class, he will want to switch.

In conclusion, my view is that what you learn now cant really a deciding factor for career at so early an age. Its only for scoring marks and/or learning about a culture (provided they would teach something of that). But, having said that, one needs to definitely involve and decide or help decide what would be good for him/her as they have not reached an age wherein they would be capable of judging whats good for them.

Maybe the kid might make a wrong decision, but so can toocool. (no offense lol)
It's not life and death, only 5th grade, He can always change if he's not comfortable now. Maybe if toocool is willing he can keep an eye on the kid's progress, and if realizes that german isn't working he can talk it out with the kid for a possible switch. Board exams are 5 years from now. But at least he will be satisfied he did what he wanted to.
Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, let the kid make one, it's a harmless one.

Fair enough. But even that is also what I am saying - If you leave it to the kid, the reasons why he will choose one may not meet the objective of the query & intention. Whats the real objective behind this query? Marks? General Knowledge? Heritage (Sanskrit)? . So unless the parent doesnt really care about those things, leaving it to the kid may not be a good idea.

thread title is wrong because sanskrit is not forign language :Shabbo:take french because easy or like some people say sanskrit can score well. japanese and german is required only when taking specific job.

did i not update here that ................i told him to get french and his heart sank and he said "papa i want german ,but if you say french is easy and scorable let me take french" and he made sad faces......................so i told him you can take german if you wish no problem.
and he took GERMAN 😛

because everybody(most) was taking French ..............German was different from the crowd 😛layful:
what else coud be the reasons of an 8 year old 😀

Well... yeah.. I was just trying to get that sort of an answer from you to prove to some others that the answer would for sure not have been
"German, because it will help me build an illustrious career in the field of engineering"

well not that because even i am not into F1.......but he is a fan of doremon ,kitrestsu, and what not 😛layful: