Which BSNL FTTH Modem to purchase?

• Thread starter Thread starter partymonger
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 12,219
You could use it in bridge mode so the MAC of the ONT wouldn't matter, and can be replaced. If you want to change your router you could always clone the MAC.

Either way in some deployments they check the ONT serial number also, and only whitelisted devices will be able to connect to the OLT. (Not the case with my LCO though)

Hello,

I have a local LCO supplied Netlink n2801sg. It looks like a el-cheapo ONT with a Single E port, no wifi, not even a power switch 😛. Was charged 2k for this and fiber install. One advantage of this is you yourself can then get / upgrade to a good quality dualband / mesh etc router as per your requirement. I'm currently using my old TP-Link adsl modem as a router.

Local LCO was pushing for me to take a wifi enabled ont costing 2k. He even sarcastically remarked about no one else except me bothering for all the extra power and ethernet connections.

@varkey Is there any particular advantage of setting ONT to bridge mode?

@eriek_halenx The advantage is that, you can use the ONT as a dumb modem which doesn't do any routing, NAT etc and you can use a proper updated and maintained device as your main router. You never know the vulnerabilities etc which would exist on these cheap ONT devices. You'd also get full control over port-forwards and all other configurations through your main router and not the ONT.

Also, this avoids one more layer of NAT as compared to connecting the ONT to the WAN port of your other router. Other way would be to connect the ONT to the LAN port of the router.

Yes, the security purpose makes sense. The ont device is accessible from outside using its IP. And I found out after a few days only the LCO had not changed the default password.🙄

Reg the WAN or LAN port option, which is a better option say for speed, security etc? I tried both, and could not find any NAT issues. Even with creating a WAN, torrents were working.

@arunkadambanattu 🤔 Are you facing any issues with the device? If not I'd not try any firmware changes. Anyway to answer your question, you might need to get in touch with the Netlink distributor I think. Afterall Netlink is just a rebranded Chinese device, the OEM wouldn't speak directly with you though.

Last edited:
@varkey Now I face this weird issue where my Chennai server pings are constantly above ~200ms, where I've been seeing these for a while and noticed that ping spikes occur whenever there's drop in voltage of bias current. Like when it's near 20v, it was somewhat alright. Does this have any impact? and well yeah, after bridging with your own router, is there any changes in your ping? ie., as your using less nat etc
7IIbyXL.png

Last edited:
It's unlikely the increase in latency just for Chennai to be due to fibre link issue.

Maybe use a tool like mtr and check the continuous traceroute with latency and see if there is any major variations.

Also, check at which hop the latency jumps to 200 ish. It's most likely a routing issue where traffic is getting routed through some other country maybe.

The increase in latency due to one more NAT layer would be negligible, maybe 1-2 ms max, so switching to bridge mode wouldn't show any major differences.

A follow up question to this @varkey
Mac Cloning didn’t work for this ont. Was it the fault of the Netlink ONT per se? Because as far as I know mac cloning is a real thing.

What I mean to ask is did Mac cloning fail because of this particular ONT, whereas it should have worked as it should if the ONT were different?

And if yes to this, then when you do clone MAC address, does the Mac address of the bridged ONT change to something else or does the router’s real/original MAC change to something else, while it adopts the cloned MAC of ONT?