Which Bank is best in India for a regular Savings Account?

• Thread starter Thread starter AgentX
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 5,009

AgentX

The Secret Agent
ISP
Airtel / BSNL
I'm looking to change my bank account from Axis (or at least have another one on top of Axis!) as their service has gotten kind of bad recently and I've lost faith in them.

Looking at Citibank or ICICI as of now, but any suggestions would be great. I seriously want to avoid visiting the branch as much as possible and there must be mobile apps or easily accessible internet banking access.

As for the problem I have with Axis, they recently cancelled my FD attached credit card citing that an account holder can only hold 1 cc from now on. On top of that, they didn't cancel the FD for 6 months and it was stuck (according to their system) and when it was finally credited, the amount is from 6 months before (i.e FD amount for Aug 2015, without the interest from Aug to Jan).

That's probably not grounds for changing an account, but seriously, they didn't notify me of that discrepancy. I had to lookup my accounting to see why its lower than its supposed to be! Had I not checked it, I wouldn't know anything about it.

/end rant...

If you have accounts with ICICI or Citibank, please share your views too.

assuming you are looking for a personal savings account... you do realize that firang banks like citibank have quite absurd requirements for quarterly balance?

I'm aware of the absurd requirements, but in the end it's just there for comparison to see how they fair in terms of other banks.

Recommend a swadesi bank too? 😛

I am quite happy with Yes Bank. Except for one thing that they do not offer MasterCard/VISA credit cards yet.

I would suggest looking at other younger banks too. Kotak and IndusInd. ICICI and other biggies have way too many customers and as a result, they do not give out benefits that smaller banks do. For example... 6/7% interest, unlimited transactions on all ATMs, free paper statements, free text alerts and stuff.

HDFC is probably recommended amongst the oldies.

Though services vary from branch to branch still you ask then its Idbi Bank.

kotak for me all the way. and if you maintain balance above 2 lacs you will get a privilege account with services like cash from/to home, cheque pickup,

demand draft absolutely free.

I'm looking to change my bank account from Axis (or at least have another one on top of Axis!) as their service has gotten kind of bad recently and I've lost faith in them.

Looking at Citibank or ICICI as of now, but any suggestions would be great. I seriously want to avoid visiting the branch as much as possible and there must be mobile apps or easily accessible internet banking access.

As for the problem I have with Axis, they recently cancelled my FD attached credit card citing that an account holder can only hold 1 cc from now on. On top of that, they didn't cancel the FD for 6 months and it was stuck (according to their system) and when it was finally credited, the amount is from 6 months before (i.e FD amount for Aug 2015, without the interest from Aug to Jan).

That's probably not grounds for changing an account, but seriously, they didn't notify me of that discrepancy. I had to lookup my accounting to see why its lower than its supposed to be! Had I not checked it, I wouldn't know anything about it.

/end rant...

If you have accounts with ICICI or Citibank, please share your views too.
If the amount is large, complain to the ombudsman

Yes Bank anyday! I never go to the bank. The bank comes to me anytime I need to give/take documents etc. It was a salary account at my first job and they did not revoke the status after I changed jobs as I still use Yes Bank account as my primary. Yes Bank beats all other banks hands down! Free benefits FTW.

I always make sure to visit branch to handover the docs. With so many frauds its worth the trouble.

HDFC Best of both worlds :xD
Yes bank is good . as you get benefits.
But i personally prefer IDBI Bank . They have auto Sweep in facility when u do FD .
you don;t even need to specify.
Bank aaise dost jaisa :xD

@chromaniac - Can we have this as bank experience thread/ which bank thread?.

I had opened a basic account in Axis like 6 months ago. Things were pretty good initially. Now I am not getting even OTP properly. Need to move away from it soon. Requirements: Basic account with lowest possible minimum balance requirement and an international debit card which allows me to buy from US sites, reliable internet banking, mobile banking. Don't need CC.

Prefer not to go to bank after opening account. Too much chaos to handle.

All I need from Yes Bank is the auto FD creation facility (auto create sweep in enabled FD if balance in Savings acc is above a threshold).