When will BSNL implement TRAI's recommendation of minimum 512 kbps speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter ankur_desai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5,649

ankur_desai

ISP
BSNL BRoadband
As per TRAI's recommendations, all ISP's were supposed to offer minimum 512 kbps from 1st Jan 2011. But none of them have complied with TRAI.
Any idea when BSNL will change their plans to minimum 512 kbps? Are they even bothered about it? Presently, even for plans with 4 Mbps speed, they are offering just 256 kbps speed after fair usage. 4 Mbps to straight 256 kbps is pathetic. This "minimum 512 kbps definition" is a low benchmark by TRAI considering speeds of other countries and our ISP's can't provide even that.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

What surprises me is that the Same BSNL provides unlimited internet on 3G at Rs 700 per month (including taxes) and the 3G speed ranges between 1 Mbps and 2 Mbps. And when it comes to wired Broadband, even for Rs 750 (taxes extra), they provide just 512 kbps unlimited.

at present all the TRAI , DOT , MOIT are into scam issue... so dont expect anything to hit soon... particularly that involves anything in favor of customer... all these months are honey moon to these ISP .. as they can reap huge profits...

The National BB plan was just a recomendation by TRAI which has to be implemented/legalised by the DOT and then only the definition be changed to 512 kbps. If everything goes as per that document then the TRAI has asked the DOT to formulate a decision of this NB Plan by 31 Jan, 2011 but DOT is not bound to follow as its just a request. So there may be some decision on that in the coming month, i guess.The minimum 512 kbps definition adopted by the TRAI is for saving their face in 2012-2014. As they have set target of 75 million by 2012 & 160 million by 2014, the only hope of achieving this is by making more & more people eligible under definition i.e. keep the definition low more people can be called as using broadband. Take for e.g. if they made it 2 mbps say from 1 Feb. 2011, then the no. of BB user will go down below even 1 million which at present is 10 million@ 256 kbps definition. They are acting smart now to save their asses in future, when the ministers in charge at that time(2014) will ask these bureaucrats, why has the target not being achieved ?Also they are keeping the pvt. operators like Reliance, Tata & some others, who have asked the TRAI to make it 512 kbps when Consulation paper on NBP was out and replies were sought. They all demanded that it should be 512 kbps so looks like they got it. And most ironic part is they are not even going to revise it soon as they have fixed 2 mbps for 2015, so we all will be stuck at 512 FUPed speeds for another 5 years.

Hope they will wake up soon. It is high time that the post FUP speed be 512 Kbps.

I wish there was atleast one true 1 Mbps unlimited plan without FUP. Is true 1 Mbps unlimited too much to ask?

I wish there was atleast one true 1 Mbps unlimited plan without FUP. Is true 1 Mbps unlimited too much to ask?

Not actually, if the biggie companies want to provide true 1 mbps unlimited plan they can do so in any plan around or above 1300-1500rs. with a decent margin too as not everyone will download 200 Gb or more on 1 mbps speed.

They all have a typical excuse that most people are happy with 25-50 Gb limits @ 4 mbps/2mbps whatever and don't cross even that. But thats no reason to stop them to offer true 1 mbps unlimited. They all can have this kind of option(1mbps@ 1000-1300rs.) alongside their regular 4mbps FUPs carrying plans. Who is stopping them?

It's their greed to milk the cow till the last drop of milk remaining & nothing else ! which is stopping them.

If due to whatever reasons, they couldn't implement minimum 512 kbps by now, then why did TRAI said that the definition is applicable from Jan 1 2011?I want to change my plan now, I usually go for Annual payment option. I'm still waiting for BSNL to upgrade post FUP speeds to 512 kbps. Can I expect them to implement minimum 512 kbps by Feb end or shall I go for 750 plan where I get 512 kbps unlimited?

A person who can just sign his or her name is called literate in India by the government. Just like the literacy figures are an eyewash so are the broadband figures. They call 256kbps broadband so that they can tell the western world that in India such and such percent of the population using broadband. What a joke!.

A person who can just sign his or her name is called literate in India by the government. Just like the literacy figures are an eyewash so are the broadband figures. They call 256kbps broadband so that they can tell the western world that in India such and such percent of the population using broadband. What a joke!.

Very true. Whole "Broadband" definition and mess needs giant reforms to get us up to date with the world. At the moment every single ISP is exploiting us with their "Unlimited Broadband Plans ". :madness:

MTNL (Mumbai) launched “MTNL FUNDAY” for its Triband, Broadband customers. With its new offer MTNL will make Sunday, a Funday by offering download speeds of 2 Mbps, without and additional charges, on every Sunday to its customers who are on unlimited plans.BSNL wake up :wall: