• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 7,667

Smh

ISP
Wired local-AirtelFiber
Device Nokia5.1 Andoid 9

Any images/screenshot I share via whatsapp automatically gets deleted from device or replaced with a lower resolution image. In whatsapp chats I can see those images sent but when I try to open it I get "this media does not exist on your device"

I think its google photos app deleting similar pics

google photo would delete images if they are backed up online and phone is running low on storage. and these settings need to be enabled manually. first you would need to turn on sync for whatsapp media folders and then enable auto clean.

so I reverted all google photos app updates and some images are back but its all messed up. I've disabled backup option and there is plenty of storage available.

When I am trying to view photos with files go app it just shows blank images flickering with diff files sizes. Google photos has stored different versions of original photos and just messed up.

restore whatsapp backup from google drive? i really do not use whatsapp enough to fully understand how it manages media files.
this is one of the most annoying things i find about whatsapp and love about telegram. people should be able to fetch images as long as they are still available on one of the devices in the chat/group.

no it was google photos which messed up whatsapp as the images were available on devices but probably google photos moved them to a different location or something like redirect because I could not explore those pic from files go app too. Available images were those small preview icons.

Now I can see all images but lost some chats and images as back up was few days old.

for some reason there are two folders name whatsapp in internal storage.

how can 2 folders with same name even exist so copied it to my pc and also found about .nomediafile to prevent thumbnail files from whatsapp folder appearing in gallery, may be that will solve my problem.

Now I am confused which app is causing this problem whatsapp or google photos

also just curious... what is more important to you...

having media files available from whatsapp chat? or just the media files?

from what i understand of whatsapp... it might be a good idea to sync all your media files to google photos. and clean them up from whatsapp. the photos and videos would remain available permanently in google photos with all the AI based searching capability. and you can keep your phone cleaner from all that local storage?