• Thread starter Thread starter priyoban
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 13,130

priyoban

Regular
ISP
DataOne Home 500
Hi i just stumbled upon this this... but I think the sify bb client sets your mtu.Can some of you just post back with your mtu. I just want to confirm. Mine is always being set as 1448

wat is mtu? :huh:

Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) : A maximum transmission unit (MTU) is the largest size packet or frame, specified in octets (eight-bit bytes), that can be sent in a packet- or frame-based network such as the Internet. The Internet's Transmission Control Protocol uses the MTU to determine the maximum size of each packet in any transmission. Too large an MTU size may mean retransmissions if the packet encounters a router that can't handle that large a packet. Too small an MTU size means relatively more header overhead and more acknowledgements that have to be sent and handled. Most computer operating systems provide a default MTU value that is suitable for most users. In general, Internet users should follow the advice of their Internet service provider (ISP) about whether to change the default value and what to change it to. In Windows 95, the default MTU was 1500 octets (eight-bit bytes), partly because this is the Ethernet standard MTU. The Internet de facto standard MTU is 576, but ISPs often suggest using 1500. If you frequently access Web sites that encounter routers with an MTU size of 576, you may want to change to that size. (Apparently some users find that changing the setting to 576 improves performance and others do not find any improvement.) The minimum value that an MTU can be set to is 68. For more recent Windows systems, the operating system is able to sense whether your connection should use 1500 or 576 and select the appropriate MTU for the connection.

Originally posted by priyoban@Apr 16 2006, 01:31 PM
Hi i just stumbled upon this this... but I think the sify bb client sets your mtu.
Can some of you just post back with your mtu. I just want to confirm. Mine is always being set as 1448
[snapback]48485[/snapback]
[/quote]

Its 1500. That's default right? But I'm using Linux with antidialer so my statistic won't be useful to you I guess 🙂

Yeh 1500 is default.Now whenever I set it to that and say do a fresh install of the sify bb client... it is again reset to 1448 so I think that the client is doing because I think that is the optimum setting for their wireless connection. I just want to find out whether this is the case for everybody... so please post ur mtu immediately after a fresh install of their client.

How do I find it out?

The easiest way to do that is to download dr tcp. Heres a link https://www.dslreports.com/drtcp. Otherwise heres the registry path. Open regedit, type it in run and then press enter. Then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, currentcontrolset , services, tcpip, parameter, interfaces, then just check one of the entries for the mtu.

Originally posted by priyoban@Apr 16 2006, 05:12 PM
Yeh 1500 is default.Now whenever I set it to that and say do a fresh install of the sify bb client... it is again reset to 1448 so I think that the client is doing because I think that is the optimum setting for their wireless connection. I just want to find out whether this is the case for everybody... so please post ur mtu immediately after a fresh install of their client.
[snapback]48506[/snapback]
[/quote]

hi. i'm from patna,bihar. my mtu is also set to 1448 by default. i use xp pro sp2.

Shammi.

Ok so I think 1448 is the optimum mtu for a sify bb connection. Anyone using alternate bb clients should then set it to this value and also adjust the rwin value. I adjusted the rwin etc. and now the video streaming quality has improved a lot.