What's the best way to wire up my router to multiple devices with a 50-100 feet gap?

Ok, I'm back on this project now.

So summarizing the advice till now:
  • Cat 5E cable with shielding + PVC pipes preferred for cabling
  • Unmanaged Gigabit Switch with the number of LAN ports I need
Updates:
  • Parents won't allow the PVC pipes and the route outside had no place for the pipes too. So I would need the best shielded and quality cable. Can someone drop online links for this so I can begin to understand the cables? Will try to find local sellers too post lockdown.
  • Switch: Since I'm not a tech guy, want to check if the different ports on a switch allow theoretical max speeds of 1 gigabit? Like if all devices except 1 that are connected are off, the device that is on should get the max possible speed of my plan right?
  • Also, if my cable is cut in the middle (say by outside elements) then can it be repaired or will full rewiring be needed?
Might have to do wiring myself, should not be hard but it won't be as professional 🤐

Last edited:
Might have to do wiring myself
Check with local electrician as well. Your home might already have concealed ducts for telecom (such as intercom, cable TV etc.). Witt that, all they have to do it to put in the "snake" and pull wire via existing duct.

I checked, we don't have those. Or rather space for new wires. (House is old)

• Parents won't allow the PVC pipes and the route outside had no place for the pipes too. So I would need the best shielded and quality cable. Can someone drop online links for this so I can begin to understand the cables? Will try to find local sellers too post lockdown.

Online prices will be way too high. Cables boxes are heavy, so shipment is expensive. Call D-Link dealers, they might be able to deliver.

• Switch: Since I'm not a tech guy, want to check if the different ports on a switch allow theoretical max speeds of 1 gigabit? Like if all devices except 1 that are connected are off, the device that is on should get the max possible speed of my plan right?

Yes, device will operate at max speed in this scenario.

• Also, if my cable is cut in the middle (say by outside elements) then can it be repaired or will full rewiring be needed?

You can patch the cable.. There are two options :

1. Jugaad

Source

2. Proper way (coupler) . This costs 400 Rs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea on calling dealers. Will do that after lockdown finishes. Thanks for the videos too, yeh sab toh in case of emergency hai.

Saw some stuff online and unsure if i should go with cat5e, cat6 or cat7 assuming budget permits to purchase all 3.

nail it to the wall with cable clips (itll be uglier but will still work).
Yeah, planning for that. It's outside the house so don't care about how it looks.

Good idea on calling dealers. Will do that after lockdown finishes. Thanks for the videos too, yeh sab toh in case of emergency hai.

Saw some stuff online and unsure if i should go with cat5e, cat6 or cat7 assuming budget permits to purchase all 3.

Yeah, planning for that. It's outside the house so don't care about how it looks.

Price are almost same for these cables. Primary difference in terms of cost is shielding + armor.

Get the cable that has best outdoor shielding in your budget, cat5e is good enough. To be sure, ask dealer to crimp it and test cable for 1 gbps with laptops (before payment).

I ordered a Webcam sometime back and it turned out fine. Better to go with Amazon. But flexibility of options is not much I guess over there

Yeah
I measured the length today, it's around 45m. Guessing that they'll sell a 50m roll, not 45....

I don't think there's a 50m roll, you'll have to buy at a per metre rate (which would be higher than the per meter cost when getting the box as is)