What To Expect From The Airtel 999 Plan

• Thread starter Thread starter karanp1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 8,870

karanp1

I am currently using the mtnl triband 590nu plan. I heard about the airtel 256 kbps unlimited plan for 999.I have a few questions1] What are the max and average speeds2] Does airtel throttle your connection if you download too much (caus i pplan to leave my connection on all day downloading)3]What kind of modem does it give:usb,ethernet and does it hav multiple ports4]Are there any hidden costs,I mean above the Rs.9995] Is MTNL coming up with any unlimited plansThx in advance

Cant give you exact answers,but this is what i heard from the guyz i know who use airtel.1) Dont expect speed to be stable.Its soly on the mood of airtel. From the most cases i have heard,its generally lower.Though people do not complain much cause they generally get what they dowload.2) Well as you see from above...the speed is low so there is no point in throttling unlike sify, so you can breathe easy about that.Airtel does not throttle.3)I am not quite sure on that,somebody else has to guide you for the specific model,but from what i can analyze...its generally a standard modem with usb, ethernet and all the package.But i seriously doubt it having multi ports.The reason would be that airtel is givin you a connection for single user.There is no use providin a multi port modem .4)There are no hidden costs.What you see is what you get.Do note that your bill would be 999+ taxes.And any outgoing calls from the airtel phone will be billed to😵therwise its all well in the open.5) No Idea..xD(Though i would really like to be enlightned on that....any MTNL fan around here...anyone??

Where are you from? In chennai,1] What are the max and average speeds?I download everything in torrents. During day, max speeds is around 30kBps and average 27kBps. At night, since I have night dowble speed plan, I get max 50kBps with avg around 47kBps. With http download, it goes upto 54kBps. Also, the upload speed is the same as the download speed, so it's great for torrents.2] Does airtel throttle your connection if you download too much (caus i pplan to leave my connection on all day downloading)No. And believe me, I'll know.3]What kind of modem does it give:usb,ethernet and does it hav multiple portsBeetel 220bx. It has both ports.4]Are there any hidden costs,I mean above the Rs.999Other than taxes, no.5] Is MTNL coming up with any unlimited plansScroo mtnl.

Sirius, not right to say "scroo MTNL". He is prolly in Mumbai and we have only MTNL available right now...

MTNL has an unlimited plan at Rs. 1399/- per month...they say it's open for registration till May 31, 06...so hurry if u want to get it...

1] What are the max and average speeds
Day: 30 KB/s Max, 23-25 KB/s avg.
Night: 55 KB/s Max, 40 KB/s avg.

2] Does airtel throttle your connection if you download too much (caus i pplan to leave my connection on all day downloading)
Not taht I know of, but I would warn you that many people have been observing slow browsing speeds, i.e. for example, even though you may eb able to download a file at 25-27 KB/s during the day, while you are surfing sites, that speed may not go beyond 15 - 18 KB/s. Keep that in mind, as it affects things like streaming video and voice chat, but on the other hand if you just want to download a bunch of stuff, it's great.

3]What kind of modem does it give:usb,ethernet and does it hav multiple ports
They have a bunch of modems, but from my understanding you should go for the Beetel 220bx as long as you have an ethernet port (especially if you plan on downloading torrents etc.). I have used a ZyXEL USB as well as a R.B. Comtec USB modem, and they both are fine too. But I will be shifting to the 220bx one soon because of torrents etc.

4]Are there any hidden costs,I mean above the Rs.999
No hidden costs, but remember tax, as well as phone charges in case you take a landline from them too.

5] Is MTNL coming up with any unlimited plans
Don't know, but even if they did, I would be surprised if they were better priced than Airtel ones.

thanks for the quick reply. There is one more prob.My laptop's ethernet doesnt work.If I take an ethernet modem then it wont work on my laptop.I have heard that many ppl are complaining of unstable connection through usb interface. is there any modem that comes with the airtel plan that has an ethernet as well as an usb port. I use my current MTNL router to connect my laptop to my pc as it has a usb as well as ethernet

QUOTE(coolbuddy_79 @ May 15 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]51400[/snapback]
MTNL has an unlimited plan at Rs. 1399/- per month...they say it's open for registration till May 31, 06...so hurry if u want to get it...
[/b]
Its being offered only in Delhi....

yeah...they've not announced it on their site or otherwise, but i think there must be one...one should go to the sanchaar haat and enquire there...

QUOTE(vebmetal @ May 15 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]51410[/snapback]
1] What are the max and average speeds
Day: 30 KB/s Max, 23-25 KB/s avg.
Night: 55 KB/s Max, 40 KB/s avg.

2] Does airtel throttle your connection if you download too much (caus i pplan to leave my connection on all day downloading)
Not taht I know of, but I would warn you that many people have been observing slow browsing speeds, i.e. for example, even though you may eb able to download a file at 25-27 KB/s during the day, while you are surfing sites, that speed may not go beyond 15 - 18 KB/s. Keep that in mind, as it affects things like streaming video and voice chat, but on the other hand if you just want to download a bunch of stuff, it's great.

3]What kind of modem does it give:usb,ethernet and does it hav multiple ports
They have a bunch of modems, but from my understanding you should go for the Beetel 220bx as long as you have an ethernet port (especially if you plan on downloading torrents etc.). I have used a ZyXEL USB as well as a R.B. Comtec USB modem, and they both are fine too. But I will be shifting to the 220bx one soon because of torrents etc.

4]Are there any hidden costs,I mean above the Rs.999
No hidden costs, but remember tax, as well as phone charges in case you take a landline from them too.

5] Is MTNL coming up with any unlimited plans
Don't know, but even if they did, I would be surprised if they were better priced than Airtel ones.
[/b]

I will back Vebmetal views .... I fully agree and experience similar speeds here... regards

Latter, but u can always use bridge-mode like with MTNL. Refer to cyberwiz's guide for UTStarcom. The Beetel 220BX which Airtel provides with its connections is essentially the same thing (broadcom core if am not mistaken) with an identical firmware.

Just got airtel today (999 plan ) . Speed not more than 21-23 KB/s in day time. Have to check what I get in night time. Although speed doesn't matter much, all i want is uptime and I hope airtel will provide the service as stated in this forum 🙂