What is the box that Airtel installs in apartment buildings?

• Thread starter Thread starter rpatel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 16,507

rpatel

ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,I am sure we all know of this mystical box (or device or whatever) that Airtel (and all other Broadband providers) install in apartment buildings (usually in the basements). I was wondering if anyone here knew something about it. I certainly don't. I would like to know particularly if that box is back-up powered usually (meaning, will it continue running in case of a power cut?). The reason I ask this is because I am thinking of buying a UPS for my ADSL modem and router if only I can be assured that it will make Internet work in the event of a power cut.Thanks,RP.

@/rpatel/ THE "box" contains pairs of telephone connections say for about 8 to 16 Telephone connections in a Flat complex.Your Landline Telephone will always work. and the Broadband connection. normally. Depending on the modem/router if there is a power outage, if your UPS switch over time is more than 25ms your BB connection likely to be lost !Presume your modem is Beetel 220BX1

@/rpatel/
THE "box" contains pairs of telephone connections say for about 8 to 16 Telephone connections in a Flat complex.
Your Landline Telephone will always work. and the Broadband connection. normally.
Depending on the modem/router if there is a power outage, if your UPS switch over time is more than 25ms your BB connection likely to be lost !

Presume your modem is Beetel 220BX1

Thanks! So I understand that this is a mechanical device and not an electrical device. So all I have to do is buy an inverter with an acceptable switch over time and I shall have Internet on regardless of whether there is a power cut or not. Is my understanding correct? By the way, I have 220BX.

Regards,
RP.

that box is called DP box as said by ess above...

Aashish,

What does DP stand for?

Thanks,
RP.

@^rpatel
see links for pics
DP=Distribution Point.(not electrical,not mechanical.. simply a junction box to join/crimp your landline wire with thicker company cable)
FWP= Fixed wireless point(looks like a wireless router with stubby antenna and rj-11 ports )
FWT=Fixed wireless terminal(like Indicom walky or Garuda phones)

Ref Esbee above post 2;he's right

But if its a MUMBAI MTNL landline based DP or even Airtel land line DP;it will nor require a backup power supply as its powered via the local exchange
Landlines are not based on your 220v power supply like the modem or desktop which need a quick response time UPS

Even in power failures as long as MTNL/Airtel landline exchange is on backup power you will have seamless connectivity
It will only fail if your desktop/Modem UPS has a slow switchover and resets the connection after the drop.

I never heard about wireless DP's.
Those would be the FWP boxes..NOT DP... we see at Reliance or Indicom PCO's in Mumbai
One FWP tranciever for multiple FWT phones with separate numbers
Ofcourse they would need back up in places outside Mumbai, that have loadshedding

@^
DP=Distribution Point.
FWP= Fixed wireless point
FWT=Fixed wireless terminal(like Indicom walky or Garuda phones)

Ref Esbee above post 2;he's right

But if its a MUMBAI MTNL landline based DP or even Airtel land line DP;it will nor require a backup power supply as its powered via the local exchange
Landlines are not based on your 220v power supply like the modem or desktop which need a quick response time UPS

Even in power failures as long as MTNL/Airtel landline exchange is on backup power you will have seamless connectivity
It will only fail if your desktop/Modem UPS has a slow switchover and resets the connection after the drop.

I never heard about wireless DP's.
Those would be the FWP boxes..NOT DP... we see at Reliance or Indicom PCO's in Mumbai
One FWP tranciever for multiple FWT phones with separate numbers
Ofcourse they would need back up in places outside Mumbai, that have loadshedding

There is quite a bit of load shedding where I live. So I was thinking of buying inverter for continuous internet connectivity. But I have to make sure that my understanding is correct and hence, this post.

I remember the Airtel tech guy telling me that they come through MSAN exchange (sp?) in my area.

Thanks for all the info. Not sure I understand all of it though.

Regards,
RP.

MSAN= multiservice access node
A device typically installed in a telephone exchange, a multiservice access node (MSAN), or multiservice access platform (MSAP) connects customers' telephone lines to the core network, providing telephony, ISDN, and broadband such as DSL all from a single platform.

Dont get confused.
Anything beyond your Telephone wall socket is absolutely irrelevant for connectivity in case of load shedding

Just buy a fast switchover UPS like Sricky's model above ( for modem and desktop) and you'll be all set.

INVERTER MAY NOT WORK,COZ IT NOT A UPS!!!!!!!!!
Inverter means supplying power via batteries,when manually switched on by the user...good for AC,Fridge,fan,etc
Computer grade UPS-UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY is an inverter that does this automatically and in micro seconds

Dont get confused.
Anything beyond your Telephone wall socket is absolutely irrelevant for connectivity in case of load shedding

Okay. Thank you very much for your guidance. That is what I wanted to know.

Regards,
RP.

yeah thats called DP or distribution point box they can accomodate 20-40 connections depending on their size ...some dp's are small and some big...one point in dp is spare and left for service ......i think they are connected to the DSLAM in ur area via fiber optic

The broadband operator has asked to put DP box at my home and power supply is given from my home. My question is what is the power consumption of this DP boxes? They have proposed to give 20% discount on the plan amount. Should I allow to put DP at my terrace?

DP for the landline and broadband does not require power. It is just a terminal box from which different lines are drawn to each individual customer's house. I have one installed in my house by Airtel but I get no discount. Not sure if they are Airtel's but I have even seen a few DP boxes tied to trees near my house.😀

This is what it kind of looks like....the box will have a cover and the terminal block will the fixed inside. The underground cable comes through the bottom pipe and the wires are punched to the terminals and each pair will have another pair from the lines going into the customer's house.

K7D0oFO.jpg

Last edited: