What if somebody gets my Tel/No and CA/No ?

• Thread starter technotrix
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 108
  • Views: Views 20,598
T

technotrix

I had been wondering if there is any possibility of missusing somebodies login details on the ADSL account. One has to simply visit the "register.mtnl.net.in" and put the following login details to see your usage . What if somebody gets your Telephone_number and your CA_number ?. Can that person do harm to your ADSL Account or missuse your Identity..... OR in other words what else can he do with your Login details ( TEL_No & CA_No) ?????RegardsTechnoTrix

M

mario_a

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Yes, if a person knows your Tel and CA nos. he can login into the MTNL website using your credentials, and access your account. He can also connect to the internet using your MTNL account, and you will be billed for it !

That is why MTNL strongly recommends changing the default password (i.e. your CA no.), as soon as you get your connection.

See the following section - "How to change password of Broadband Account ?" in the MTNL Triband User Guide for the steps to change your password:
http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/internetservices...ewuserguide.pdf

(S)aint

(S)aint

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband
Ten points for smartness...........................out of a billion B) well that's primarily the reason why you're supposed to change your login password in the first place........................................................And in case your wondering you're wondering about the router password............ yes you should change that tooAnd Don't forget to change your login password in the router too..... once you change it on the MTNL site that is...

M

mario_a

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Originally posted by (S)[email protected] 28 2006, 05:47 PM
Ten points for smartness...........................out of a billion B)
I hope you weren't referring to me :p

V

vishal_j

Regular
ISP
MTNL
If somebody gets your tel no and ca no?Two words: You're Screwed.

M

mario_a

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2006, 06:11 PM
If somebody gets your tel no and ca no?
Two words: You're Screwed.

Yes, but not if you've already changed your password :)

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
if someone gets hold of CA no, that person can login as you and inflate data transfer figures. Even if you change your password, it gets reset to CA no whenever there is some issue with MTNL :(

C

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
ISP
TriB 749NU @ 2 mbps
and if someone does illegal stuff from ur id, u'll be caught...

R

rex

ISP
MTNL TriBand
I agree with netfreak, it happened with me. I changed my password, including creation of email, secret question etc. on the very first day and second day it was not accepting. So I tried my CA number and it was working. LOL.1 more thing can somebody explain how i am billed? I have TriB200 at my place.

M

mario_a

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2006, 07:03 PM
Even if you change your password, it gets reset to CA no whenever there is some issue with MTNL :(

Does MTNL send you some sort of notification when they do this ?

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2006, 12:29 AM
Does MTNL send you some sort of notification when they do this ?
[snapback]43186[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are expecting too much from Sarkari Babus

R

rightnow

FOOL You doesn't seems Professional!!!"register.mtnl.net.in" and put the following login details to see your usage . They Keep Track of which Ip is checking the Acc usage!If u happen to check 2 Acc then you are F*cked!

C

cyberwiz

Member since 2005
ISP
Jio Fiber @ 150 Mbps
@ rightnow ..nobody is a fool please be a little restrained.

And MTNL doesnt keep track of ur IP.

(netfreak @ Feb 28 2006, 07:03 PM)
Even if you change your password, it gets reset to CA no whenever there is some issue with MTNL sad.gif [/b]

That happens ONLY in mumbai. I have been using Triband in Delhi since july last year and not once has my password been reset to the CA number.

Another unique feature that u mumbaiiites have the pleasure of having is the golden hour. We dont get it here..even if the Data recording server of MTNL gets screwed up, its for a short duration only.

P

powerontop

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, but not if you've already changed your password  :)
[snapback]43156[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually changing password to something else does not help. We are at a bigger risk since anybody can sniff your transfer( conditions apply) and if they are lucky when u r logging onto register.mtnl.net.in then they can find your username and password(yes the latest one also). This is all the more easy since login is NON-SSL currently and thus ur username/password is transfered in plain text.