what happens if prepaid phone not used for some months?

• Thread starter Thread starter Chuckles
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 26,188

Chuckles

ISP
Aitel
Hello, my Airtel prepaid has 1-year validity through Sep. 2010. However, I am in the US now and not using the phone. I sent e-mail to Airtel but could not get them to understand my question, which is, will they close the account even before 09/2010 if I don't use the phone for some months? If so, what are the specific rules, what is the cutoff period, and what do I have to do to avoid it?Another question: my phone will register on the T-Mobile or Cingular networks here in the US (it says Cingular, not AT&T, even though Cingular was absorbed by AT&T some years ago). But then it says "Emergency calls only", which is what you get with an unrecognized SIM (it allows only calls to the emergency number, 911). Do I have to do anything to enable international roaming?Many thanks for any help,

If SIM Validity not expire u can hold it till end wheather its used or not.

If SIM Validity not expire u can hold it till end wheather its used or not.

I finally received a reply from Airtel that said:

You have inquired about to retain the Airtel number xxxxxxxxxx as you moving out of country.

We would like to inform you that the given Airtel number is in active under prepaid connection.

Please be informed that your validity would be expired on 03/09/10.

We would like to inform you that to retain the prepaid connection active, you are needed to:

1 make outgoing calls
2 receive incoming calls
3 recharge your account frequently

{Apparently "in active" does not mean "inactive", because the phone is currently active.)}

You number will not expire till its validity period. I use my !dea number here. It registers itself with both AT&T and T-Mobile. You can receive texts on Indian Number for free :thumb:, while US companies charge for incoming texts.

Another question: my phone will register on the T-Mobile or Cingular networks here in the US (it says Cingular, not AT&T, even though Cingular was absorbed by AT&T some years ago). But then it says "Emergency calls only", which is what you get with an unrecognized SIM (it allows only calls to the emergency number, 911). Do I have to do anything to enable international roaming?

Many thanks for any help,

could be because your phone is locked to the network and so it cant accept other SIM's??

I have had same problem when I am in UK. Earlier I had 2 handsets so I kept my Airtel SIM in 1 handset and it was continously 'Online' receiving SMS (for free). But for last 8 months (after I had only 1 handset) my Airtel SIM was Offline and it got deactivated 😢. I called Airtel, they said that if SIM is not connected to network (home or roaming) for 6 months, then SIM gets deactivated even though if it is life-time connection.Worst part is they said that my number has been allocated to some body else so I cannot get back same number :impissed:So I take care of putting my new SIM once in my mobile to bring it in network and keep it active :redface:

6 month limitation exists on all lifetime SIMs for all operators. ie. u have to recharge the number atleast once in 6months.

I have had same problem when I am in UK...I called Airtel, they said that if SIM is not connected to network (home or roaming) for 6 months, then SIM gets deactivated even though if it is life-time connection...So I take care of putting my new SIM once in my mobile to bring it in network and keep it active :redface:
I made clear in the original post that I had 1-year validity, not lifetime validity. It is NOT the "same problem".

It is not enough to use the lifetime SIM; depending on your circle, Airtel requires a Rs. 200 refill or Rs. 200 usage in any arbitrary 6-month window.

i once heard from airtel rep.That if there is no incoming/outgoing for more than 45 days.your number will be sent for recycling.it may not be 6 months :isorry:.

well i believe the regulations state that a number cannot be used for 6 months after it is disconnected.

I made a mistake of not using my airtel sim card for prolonged period when I went to USA in 2011 and my number was "recycled" and I insisted on if there is a way to get the same number but they said no. I had to get a new number when I came back to India.As soon as that happened I started using my wife's number every month to ensure it is not deactivated. I made a local USA call every month. Cost me 70 Rs per minute but still it was ok as I needed to keep the number on.