What happens after the one year of 249 plan is over (users of plan 249 please )

I got my bsnl 249 plan in aug 2017. Will it automatically moved to higher plan after completion of one year or its not applicable anymore as bsnl introduced even lower priced plans like 45gb for 99rs.

BB249 plan was introduced in September, 2016 as a "promo" plan for a period of 6 months only. It "still" is a promo plan and NOT an annual or a long-term plan. But it has been receiving extensions of 6 or 3 months ever since. The last extension of this plan was announced in March, 2018 for a period of 3 months effective from 01/04/2018 to 30/06/2018 for both new and existing customers. (BSNL Broadband BB249 plan period extended up to 30-06-2018 for ALL existing and new customers | BSNL Broadband) The extension announcements are generally made a couple of days before the last date. So, in the next 3-4 days, BSNL would be announcing either another extension of this plan or nothing at all. If it's the latter, it'd mean that subscribers would be moved to the 499 plan as was announced previously.

Having said that, the new 99, 199, 299 etc. non-ftth plans are all @20Mbps "promo" plans (for 6 months) and though they have been launched on a pan India basis, I am not sure if it's available everywhere (at least not where I live) probably because of constraints in old copper lines . So, if BSNL scraps the 249 plan, it might lose a lot of customers who would not want to pay more for lesser benefits than before. BB249 plan has been immensely successful in keeping BSNL's broadband subscribers happy in the middle of the ongoing turf war between airtel and jio cellular plans.

@sniper
I earlier thought 🤔 that the "validity" of 249 plan with one year means that a user who is having 249 plan cannot have it more than one year and the "extension" of the plan for 90 days as they keep on doing it from September 2016 is for new users who can apply for that plan.
thanks for confirming that it will "work" even for existing users.

But even though its promotional plan there is options for up-to 3 year advanced payment in this plan so I guess its almost like a permanent plan now but I don't feel its wise to pay in advance for that IMHO.

And even with the 249 plan bsnl have steadily lost its customers as per trai data since sep 2016 maybe that's why they are desperate now and launched even cheaper plans

@techi ,i too think the same. if it was just a promotional plan they would not have included a 3 year payment option. at first when the plan was launched the webpage did not had that option and clearly mentioned about 6 months validity on the plan.now that clause has been removed from the tariff page. the call center guys have no idea about it.

But what does happen after a promotional plan expires? BSNL introduced 2 new promotional FTTH plans 777 and 1277 plans for 3 months, I am thinking about getting 1277 plan.

@techi I understand the confusion now. What you're saying about the ONE year validity, was introduced after the six months period from the introduction of the BB249 plan from Sept, 2016. I just checked from the BSNL website and the Calcutta bsnl site - the BB249 plan is still under the category of "promotional plan" along with the four new plans introduced recently i.e. 99,199,299,491 (http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/entry_level_plan.html) & (http://www.calcuttatelephones.com/bsnloffer/bsnloffer_promotions.shtml#BB_Promo).

But even though its promotional plan there is options for up-to 3 year advanced payment in this plan so I guess its almost like a permanent plan now but I don't feel its wise to pay in advance for that IMHO.

Do NOT be misguided by the annual payment options of a promotional plan. BSNL has a history of withdrawing plans without notifying it's customers and moving them to other plans, which is why under the plan page they include the clause - "Customer's consent in this regard shall be taken at the time of CAF filling", meaning, when you applied for the plan, you automatically gave your consent to BSNL that they can move you to other plans in case your current plan was withdrawn by BSNL. The deficit/excess amount will be adjusted from that point of time in your subsequent broadband bills. So, annual payment for a plan does NOT make it anyway permanent - especially if the plan is still categorised under "promotional". I have been a victim of this trick in 2012, when they withdrew night unlimited (2AM-8AM) privileges in the middle of the month without notifying the customers and moving me to another plan, resulting in huge bill amounts. The uproar among customers throughout the country was so much that they had to acquiesce to our demand by "adjusting" the bill amount, which in any case was much more than the normal charges which we HAD to pay. So, I agree with you to never opt for annual payment options.

But what does happen after a promotional plan expires? BSNL introduced 2 new promotional FTTH plans 777 and 1277 plans for 3 months, I am thinking about getting 1277 plan.
"promotional" plans can be declared by service providers for only 90 days according to TRAI guidelines which means a customer can "subscribe" for those 777 or 1277 plans within 3 moths times and get the connection and after that period of 90 days you may not be able to get that promotional plan unless bsnl decides to launch(extend) the promotional plan again for another 90 days.

but bsnl have the habit of extending the "promotional" plans like in the case of 249 plan it was a promotional plan for the past 2 years. so because of the tariff war these days most probably the same will happen to the 777 and 1277 plans but can't be sure.

once you got the connection your tariff is "protected" for 6 months according to TRAI guidelines which means bsnl cannot increase the price or reduce your data benefits till a minimum period of 6 moths since you got the connection

Tariff

1277 plans seems ok for users needing high speed with decent data allowance 750 GB/ 100 mbps not bad I guess

Last edited:
@sniper
you make me remember those days of 600 combo plan with night unlimited and I was always cautious making sure the auto disconnected the modem at specified time and later on I moved to 800 plan which was unlimited 24/7 .

and I could feel how frustrating it would be to get such bill shocks especially with no fault on your side. luckily for me I didn't had to go through such harrowing experience. But still I do not trust bsnl based on experiences of others like you and if it was some other country bsnl would have to face some class lawsuits

and one more thing bsnl is notorious for is delaying refund of security deposits in case of surrender.

Last edited:
@InkTone
The bsnl call center guys are the least informed ones and all they do if I ask something they don't know is asking to wait and put the phone on hold and never return. Bsnl twitter handle is better in responding and solves issues and well informed about plans but they would ask phone number even for generic questions and dont care about privacy .

and regarding the 249 plan getting permanent plan status is good and well anticipated after the 45 gb 99 rs plan dethroned it as the cheapest promotional broadband plan. The bsnl official page may need time to update I think.

does anybody know whats the post fup speed is on fibro 1277? Or Happy browsing is still active?