What DTH to get?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 8,499
Only way to confirm is to hook up two more speakers to a setup with an amp that is capable of decoding 7.1 or 9.1 audio.

Wud try when I wud have one. In present scenario, I can't have Home Theatre or AMP in rented Mumbai flat . Society will start sending notice every 2nd day and society secretary lives just below mine flat so sound effect remains limited. 😉

But dont u think that if its 7.1, then the amp shud show it 7.1, irrespective of the speakers connected? Coz i dont think Amp shud be dependant on the no. of speakers connected!And another question that has come is.......does it mean that when u turn to SD channels it shows "Stereo or 2.1" and for HD it shows "5.1"? I have no idea how this device functions!

Thats what i m telling.....what else do u want in multi channel audio? It gives u the ryt audio from ryt satellite, so doesn't it qualify as multi channel?

No it frankly doesnt. I gather from another thread that your speakers connect directly from the TV(which recieved it in stereo incidentally over HDMI). The satellites/woofer are rated to output the particular frequency they do. There is no sound monitoring that happens in this case. as a 2.1 signal is being reallocated to a 5.1 output.

On the other hand the AVR "decodes" the original 5.1/7.1(as the case maybe) and sends out the sound meant to come out of that particular speaker to it. No more and no less.

Well thats as much layman as I can get on this topic.

----------

But dont u think that if its 7.1, then the amp shud show it 7.1, irrespective of the speakers connected? Coz i dont think Amp shud be dependant on the no. of speakers connected!

And another question that has come is.......does it mean that when u turn to SD channels it shows "Stereo or 2.1" and for HD it shows "5.1"? I have no idea how this device functions!

You are right here on this. Though some AVR setups (especially those HTiB ones) get cranky if the right speakers arent connected.

----------

only NGC on TS is 7.1

The AMP can figure out the mode of Audio Stereo(2 channel), 5.1, 7.1 etc and use the speakers accordingly.As soon as you move from SD to HD ....the Center Speaker, Sourround/Rear Speakers and Sub Woofer will have sound and vice versa.

But dont u think that if its 7.1, then the amp shud show it 7.1, irrespective of the speakers connected? Coz i dont think Amp shud be dependant on the no. of speakers connected!

And another question that has come is.......does it mean that when u turn to SD channels it shows "Stereo or 2.1" and for HD it shows "5.1"? I have no idea how this device functions!

That depends on how you set-up the amp and what your input source is. Yes, when you switch to an SD channel the amp shows that it is receiving a Stereo audio feed and when you switch to an HD channel it shows that it is receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio feed. This is what I meant earlier when I used the term multi channel audio.

You can use any home theatre amp to simulate multi channel audio over 5.1/7.1/9.1 speakers even when your input signal is only stereo. As you might imagine, this is not true multi channel audio. Today, only a properly coded 5.1/7.1 audio feed is a real multi channel audio feed. Back in the day there were other standards such as Dolby Pro Logic which gave you discrete front left, centre and right audio and a combined rear audio channel, but these are now obsolete. The current multi-channel audio standards are Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master, both of which offer uncompressed audio over 5.1/7.1 channels and are the current Bluray audio standard.

Edit: Also the SD channels are Stereo only. There is no .1 in a stereo feed. The .1 in any multi-channel audio format refers to the LFE (Low frequency effects) channel which feeds only low frequency info to a subwoofer(s).

Ok, thanks for the info guys! So i learnt about a new gadget today! My next target wud be to get hold of 1 such system........but the approval of family members for another jumbo jet getting placed in front of the TV is a distant dream for me.Someone had shared about it before, but i hadnt gone into its details.

Hello little bit different question...We know that we can buy HD recorder stb to record video but we can not transfer to pc.Now my question is that is there any other way to record video from HD STB to computer using HDMI port of stb

Yes u can directly connect ur STB to ur PC thru TV Tuner & record the stuff. And for this, u dont even need a DVR. An HD box wud suffice as well.

Yes u can directly connect ur STB to ur PC thru TV Tuner & record the stuff. And for this, u dont even need a DVR. An HD box wud suffice as well.

Now, which HD tuner option available in India and which is good.Most of time these tuner creates problem they hang the machine frequently.Now the main query what will be the cost of these HD tuner with HDMI input.

Now, which HD tuner option available in India and which is good.Most of time these tuner creates problem they hang the machine frequently.Now the main query what will be the cost of these HD tuner with HDMI input.

Are you sure you can copy from HDMI port on PC?

As per my experience when I worked with STBs, HDMI has copy protection technology (HDCP) due to which they don't allow copying on any non-compliant external device. HDMI checks for complaint TV, and only then it outputs the Video/Audio. So if you try to copy through HDMI, you will not get any Video/Audio (though operator has to enable copy-protection on the STB).

Also I guess HDMI doesn't support Surround sound output. It only supports stereo sound. For surround sound you need to connect S/PDIF optical output to Music system to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

I just mentioned what i had read around, on few threads.......so its not my experience, and it might be wrong. I shud have mentioned this.....Someone with good technical knowledge - can u please xplain this?