• Thread starter Thread starter Amuthan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2,423

Amuthan

US Broadband rox!
ISP
Airtel Broadband - 512 Kbps NU (India) + Comcast 50 Mbps
Hello peepz, I am total Newbie to this Forum and a Newbie to Broadband! Well guys I have the following Airtel Connection: Plan - Home 999 [Unlimited]B/W - 256 kbpsModem - USB - Beetel ADSL 2+ 220BXRouter - NO ROUTERIP - NO STATIC IPWell my question is that whenever I connect to Airtel using the Dialer provided it says Aritel Broadband Connected at 12 Mbps but I get only Download speeds of 28 to 30 kbps Maximum. (Tried it while DL Torrents using ABC)! Can Anyone help me with this? And peepz kindly don't get mad at me coz I'm a total newbie to Broadband and things! Can anyone tell me how to tweak up the speed if possible?Also another question : Well when is Airtel planning to launch New Tariff Plans for 512k? Will 512k be unlimited and can I get 512k at the same plan? 😉 Seems like I'm having a great wish but hope this comes true! Coz now Airtel 512k costs about Rs.2495 per month in my city (Madurai - Tamil Nadu)🙁 So hope some good peepz will reply to me! I need some help from the elders of this Forum! 😉I'm just 21 😛Regards,Amuthan

Don't worry... U hve a USB modem rite??Before I dial... it says connected at 100mbps. 😛So don't worry man... nuthin serious!!U hve a 256kbps pack... so ull get downloading speed of upto 32kBps only. Nuthin more (only if ur lucky 😉 )Enjoy... n oh yeah welcome to the world of sucky indian broadband!!

Thanx dude! Well hmph....u sure are correct when you speak of Indian Broadband as a crap! [I mean the actual Indian BB and not this Forum] 😉

Well peepz I got a frend in Malaysia/Singapore and they get ADSL at the following pricing:

Downstream/Upstream = 512/256
Price : RM 77 ~ Rs.770/month
Limits: Unlimited!
Transfer Rate: 25kbps to 1Mbps {Confusing me! - Please explain this}

Another guy from Canada

Downstream/Upstream = 256/256
Price: Not Disclosed
Limits: Unlimited
Transfer Rate: 25kpbs when busy to 600 kbps (optimal condition) and his
best speed was 1Mbps? -Again need explanation for this!

Well I asked him if he tweaked his Modem and all!
He is asking me how to tweak it! 😛

How is this possible? Well he recorded these speeds while Downloading Torrents!

When I do I get only 25-30kbps in my Airtel BB!! 🙁

Please explain this to me guys! 🙂

Regards,
Amuthan

Oh Yeah, I asked him that too....he said 1 KBps = 8 kbpsAnd he told me he is getting speeds in kBps only and not in kbpsif in kbps he is getting around 477kbps it seems!And I'm getting speeds of 240kbps then? 😛Well still confusing me guys! 🙁Please help me out! 🙂Regards,Amuthan

eh? 12Mbps is the max speed of the ADSL technology!

Max: 12Mbps thing has been cleared.Amuthan: The rate variation could be due to many things. The higher speeds may be some uncapped connection like how some members are getting here, and the low speeds may be because the torrents' speeds depend on the peer/seed's upload speed.

Thank u so much peepz..Thanx for all the replies!Now I get it! @leomax = Thanx pal for getting me clear with the 12Mbps thing@SiriusB = Thanx for clearing me with the Torrents thing!Max Bhai, uthfull bhai and sushubh bhai for clearing all my doubts!You guys are great! 😀Regards,Amuthan