What do you think of present India's broadband scene?

• Thread starter Thread starter swatkats
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 8,243
ISP
Act Fibernet
It's been 7 months since we are getting some more cheaper and faster Internet, All thanks to mass roll out of Jio fiber!

So present plans among majority of the operators are as follows with 3.3TB FUP, while BSNL offers 4TB of FUP on some plans:
30/40Mbps - 399/499
100Mbps - 699-799
200Mbps - 999
300Mbps - ₹1325-1499
1Gbps - 3999

We all can agree that 3300GB of data is a lot of data for majority of us do not consume. Since Jio has made 4G affordable and darn cheap in the whole world. Do you think the prices needs to drop more on Fiber?

Practically,We all have fixed budgets based on our 5 digit salary (Most of them under 40k).

I was really hoping for 1Gbps under (excl taxes) 2500, 500Mbps under ₹1500, 300Mbps under ₹1000. I recently stumbled upon 50Mbps article (50Mbps unlimited internet at Rs. 5 per day) - What? 150₹/month?

i2e1 launches PDO Wi-Fi access points across India under PM-Wani initiative; 50Mbps unlimited internet at Rs. 5 per day

I was thinking if the rates of plans should still drop, Considering the rates have fallen and mass adoption is going on!

Why can't we become another South Korea or Romania in terms of Broadband Internet?

I think prices can still drop, but there is no immediate use case for above 100 mbps speeds atleast for majority of normal indian households, so even it comes, we have to spend extra to develop an ecosystem like buying new routers, as the speeds above 100 mbps on wifi is subjecting to many factors.

Above 50mbps you won't notice any substantial diff unless you have too many 4k smart tv or need quick downloads.
Firstly lower middle class need to shift to basic plans .... I see many still not doing it as most say we still need to recharge our mobile monthly and daily data is enough for most. Other who have say fixed BB is temporary till this online classes get over.

500mbps+ you are talking about is not a mass market product so I doubt you'd see big competition there.

I kinda wish they actually brought truly unlimted (not 3300GB) broadband here in India but it'll be quite a long time before that becomes the case.

My TriplePlay 100Mbps is truly unlimited though. I've uploaded 20TB on some months on it (granted normal usage wont be able to exhaust it) but every major major ISP has this silly 3300GB cap (Excitel has a cap where they'll shut down your internet for 'commercial use').

3300GB on Gigabit is quite silly because you can exhaust it in 7 Hours of continuous download.

Truly unlimited is not feasible simply because as soon as it is offered there will be a small number of people who will abuse it and choke the network for the rest of the users.

As per a report on ET Telecom, the growth in Fixed line BB is not much, despite low introductory rates

Truly unlimited is not feasible simply because as soon as it is offered there will be a small number of people who will abuse it and choke the network for the rest of the users.

I disagree, truly unlimited residential internet does exist in Europe and even some cities in the U.S.

For example in Denmark 10Gbit unlimited is available for residential users for ~2500 INR/month.

But yea, not feasible in India right now.

Even those truly unlimited offers abroad come with terms and conditions, if the user starts misuse then they get warnings first followed by termination of service.

The hidden limit though is much higher than our 3.3tb maybe something like 10tb I don't know.

I guess so but not sure. I have only dealt with Hetzner unlimited Gigabit servers (yea its diff from residential connection as its in a datacenter) but you can upload/download as much as you want and they dont care. The whole server is like 30 Euros a month.

Meanwhile, in India servers that come with Gigabit usually have data caps and cost a ton.

Last edited:
I think India will catch up to USA and Europe standards within a few years.

I find it already amazing that we have home Internet with ftth tech and 1gbps speed offers even though right now it's a bit expensive and limited data caps.

You have to realise that for USA and Europe the actual data is located nearby within their borders like games and Linux upgrades etc. Very few companies deploy CDN local to India so our ISP's have to utilise undersea international cables which are heavy investments.

But I don't know all the insider details so I just hope and wait for things to improve.

I guess so but not sure. I have only dealt with Hetzner unlimited Gigabit servers (yea its diff from residential connection as its in a datacenter) but you can upload/download as much as you want and they dont care. The whole server is like 30 Euros a month.

Meanwhile, in India servers that come with Gigabit usually have data caps and cost a ton.

It's about disposable incomes and average usage. My ISP provides 1 Gbps unlimited without any caps for the equivalent of 4400 INR a month. Compared to the average wage in the UK, that's not too much, so 80% of the people take this plan, even boomers who only watch Netflix on their TV. As a result the ISP doesn't care if 0.1% of the people use 20-30TB since there are lots of low usage people to balance.

In India, most of the people who will opt for 1 Gbps unlimited will be the ones who want to use 10-20 TB or more a month making it difficult to average the cost down.

Unless of course, the government invests in all the infrastructure which seems quite unlikely in India

My LCO was initially charging me Rs. 700 per month for 100 mbps unlimited internet usage. Two months ago they asked me to pay only Rs. 500. I think they did it because my data usage is low compared to the rest of the users. They offer 50 mbps for Rs. 500 to others.

I don't think it will choke the network (its ffth😎)the main reason why true unlimited isn't being offered is due to the population density of our country. if someone offers true 1 gig connection a whole apartment can easily share it. So its a financial loss for the company.