What Can We Do Together To Improve The Broadband State In India?

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,338

Abhishek

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I am sick of the awful speeds, the promises made in the name of "Broadband". We as users have been taken for a ride BIG time and I hate the snail pace. We are being ripped off without any safeguards.I am proposing to all the members to get together and fight for our rights instead of getting on the forums and complaining about the ISP's. We have done it earlier when couple of members got together to petition BSNL to introduce 256kbps unlimited. It works when all of you would get together on a common platform. The broad contours of my idea is to file for information under Right to Information act to BSNL, TRAI, Department of Telecom, MTNL to reveal their plans for the following:1)What steps have you taken to ensure the quality of services? 2)What is the actual cost of bandwidth, how much bandwidth is available, where do you source your bandwidth needs, what does it cost to provide the same to the end consumer?3)What is the basis for such high user charges?4) What is the grievances redressal mechanism? What actions do you take to ensure that the complaints are handled in a time bound manner and that the orders passed by the authority are binding on the concerned officer?5)This one for TRAI: What have you ensured that your recommndations are binding on the concerned telecom companies and how do you ensure compliance to reign in the offending companies?As I mentioned, these are the broad ideas under which I intend to work on. I would be glad if you could bounce on in some ideas here. Frankly, the world is moving beyond the kbps speeds all over and I find no end to the miserable pathetic narrow band for which I am paying my hard earned money without getting my money's worth. The same thing can be addressed for the mobile services but then we ought to focus on one thing here for the time being. I have been reading horror stories of customers being taken for a ride when they have been promised the earth and instead get peanuts. Why don't you all get together on a common platform and raise your voice against this? As per the TRAI's official documents, they are duty bound to safe guard our interests instead of just drawing their salaries and do nothing. In similar vein, BSNL is duty bound to serve us instead of acting unilaterally the way it does. I welcome more ideas and lets do something together for a long last solution rather than just whine around.

Dude I am with you. Let me know what to do. There is one question I would like to ask the idiot IT Minister of our country. What in the world did he mean when he said Unlimited Internet ?

yay~ lets fight for real broadband speed~ (a minimum of 2mbps with unlimited downloads ^^) let us know what we can do to help o.o

Well for starters let's all pretend that we can actually do something about it, and then let's bitch and moan about it on this forum.

lol moaning? sounds kinky 😛

Frankly, it would take a lot of effort. I am trying to get a reporter interested from Times of India though he still has to revert back to me. However, since this is a policy decision, we ought to fight for our legitimate rights which are due to us. I propose that we fight for the setting up of an effective ombudsman who would be legally empowered to enforce the resolution of disputes between the telecom companies and the customers on the pattern of Ofcom. The customer is taken very seriously by the companies and it would be stupid to ignore because we are paying them the money. Unfortunately, the companies have cartelised to an extent that you cannot get the required services for which you have paid for. I see this happening because primarily, we as customers, are disjointed. What we need is a common platform to raise our voices. And stick on together despite our differences. One more thing. We don't stop fighting for survival because the odds in life are so much stacked against us. We fight. And we can do that more effectively by banding together. For starters, I would like someone with a legal background here to help me with the process of applying for the information in the respective departments. Any little help would be more than welcome. Any more ideas to implement? Let me know please. We could bounce off more suggestions.Cheers and I have faith that we can do it together. May our God be with us.

TOI? they fight for consumer rights? i never knew. i think all they did was post 2 days old news and naked chicks.

😀 even i thought so ,btw we have to do sumthingthe broadband situation is pathetic maybe all of us should email the TOI ppl and then theyll do sumthing

What more can one expect when even the `Minister of Communications’ Mr. Dayanidhi Maran promises and yets fails to deliver? We have been seeing the era of the Internet being ushered in on the 15th of August 1995. At that time a dial-up 56kbps was the defacto standard, yes, that my `dear’ friend in the Netherlands had a 512kbps broadband connection was a matter of envy for me…Today, while I have a broadband (sic) connection of 256kbps (unlimited) and pay roughly U.S.$20 (assuming one Dollar to be equal to Rs.50 for calculation purposes) for the same.. my `dear’ friend pays U.S.$40 for his 1gbps connection. sweet? So, during these years while we have progressed approximately 4.5 times from 56kbps to 256kbps, my `dear’ friend has jumped 2048 times.. time to say Mera Bharat Mahaan!The starter of this topic.. my `frustrated & bandwidth starved’ friend has just pointed out what is the `tip of the iceberg’ of the callous services with which we are treated to (and what hurts me more.. is that we accept the same silently like `sheeps being taken to slaughter’).. what the hell?Are we not paying for the Broadband Services.. If yes, why are we paying so much more?Purchasing bandwidth is the same all over the world.. give or take a fraction of a ignorable percent.. so it is obvious who is reaping the moolah at the cost of whom.. moreso when the `public owned’ BSNL too does not live up to its own statements.Come on dear friends.. its high time we started the ball rolling.. yes you have to believe that `together we can achieve’.. it has been proved in the past.. the biggest mistake was to relax once we had achieved our previous goal.. we should have kept up the pressure right from then itself..Sorry for the slow speed at which I am typing.. but, I am on Narrowband ™ IndiaP.S.: Abhi, did you connect with the TOI reporter.. am also taking up the case with a Deccan Herald reporter.. will also try to talk with some local reporters as soon as health gets a bit better

i heard that vodafone plans to launch broadband services within one year ?
Is that true ?

Btw : i thought ill compare broadband in india with other countries

In INDIA the max u get is 2mbps with a 16 GB limit for Rs.10000/-

In UK you get 24 mbps broadband unlimited for 24 Pounds (approx.Rs1900)

In USA you get 4 mbps unlimited for 15$ ( RS.750/-)

In Japan you get a 1 gbps line for ¥4,200 (RS.1543.41)

In Sri Lanka you get a 2mbps unlimited line for Rs.2726.2

In China you you get a 10 mbps line for approx. Rs 1500/-

In Pakistan you get a 2mbps line for Rs3000/-