What are the qualities to look in Android Phone before purchasing?

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,374

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
As mentioned in title of thread - What are the qualities to look in Android Phone before purchasing?I guess it could be software updates provided by manufacturer, hardware built, battery life, RAM, CPU.Do we need to check if device supports custom ROMs (can all Android handsets get rooted?).And any non-Nexus handset comes with Stock Android? (I guess Micromax, Lava or some Indian brand has stock Android).Which handset would be good for Android app developer?

I would consider *screen resolution* is also equally important...

Yes, Screen resolution is important point to consider while app development. I guess its even more important compared to screen size.

For app devs. Nexus phones are the best bet. In nexus phone the boot loader is officially unlocked. Evn htc andriod phones that shipped after 2011 have the unlocked bootloader. Unlocked bootloader allow the user to modify the sys partition (ROM) Bootloader unlocking and rooting is different. Yes you can root any andriod phone. Other hardware requirements are user & app dependent.

SVK

R u planning to go for Android?
No. My brother is Android developer, so I am thinking to purchase a phone for him, on which he can create and test apps 🙂

SoC (system on chip) and support to it by manufacture in a form of documentation is also an important factor to look forward. Qualcomm's one are preferred in this regard, especially the one being used in latest nexus device.Latest Nexus offerings at any moment are best bet for android app development. Why? Android is very flexible and support various screen sizes by adding just few lines of code. Not much issues there. The app created using latest SDK is by default supported by latest iteration of Android. It can be made compatible with older versions again by adding some line of codes but before implementing that, we need to verify in real time if lower configurations and resources are capable of handling app or not. It can be done by using emulators. But if want to be sure about if our app is finely optimized for higher configuration, the device we are using for development and emulation should itself be powerful and running sufficiently latest and well supported configuration (SoC support is really important as stated above). And emulators and other development tools are best compatible and configured with Nexus devices.