What are the implications of mobile phone continuoulsy switching bands.

• Thread starter Thread starter Tejas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,356

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
So i have Airtel prepaid in Mumbai circle. I observed that my mobile Poco X3, transitions from Band 40 and 3 most of times while once in a while switches to B1 or 8. Also my signal strength is very low on high frequency bands, B40(110-115dB), B3(100-105db), B1(103-105db), B8(100 and above).
Should I change my operator provider based on above values? From my reading on net, anything above 100 db comes close to poor signal. My speeds are also average, with 10mbps or less average on B40 with CA. My dad also has Airtel on non-CA phone and he get good speeds, both uploads, downloads. My uploads are horrible, 500-700kbps.
Also does switching between bands has an impact on battery? I mean is one tower limited to only one band or multi-bands? If this is the case then switching between bands would be switching between towers means phone wasting more battery to get the best signal.

Last edited:
Switching between band generally happens depending on the usage scenario.
For data heavy tasks , operator switches to high frequency bands and for call related, low frequency bands.
Try other networks which has better signal quantity at your place .

Nope, in my case switching happened when it was idle. I was just observing the app(Network cell info) and my phone was switching between the above mentioned bands. I would have agreed with the latter part as this happens with Jio(B40 for data, B3 on standby or call).

Tried on another handset, Nokia 7 plus, while it was more stable at B40(dual antenna lines hence it signal in the range 98 to 104db), it also switched to B3. I think it was also in this group because 7+ supports only two bands here.
X3, on the other hand, jumped across all the bands supported by my device, B1,3,8,40. That it has less antenna lines also meant B40 was less stable (going beyond 110db at times).