• Thread starter Thread starter Prathamesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2,921

Prathamesh

I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai
Hi everyone, I am facing a weird issue with my broadband. From last 3-4 weeks, my internet just won't work on Sundays (twice Saturday too). It would connect to ADSL and lose the line after sometime(without connecting to the internet). Sometimes, it would connect to the Internet too but would go away within 2-3 seconds.

Another interesting thing I noticed today is that, I am on 2 mbps plan and my line rate (downstream) is 2464 kbps instead of 2048 kbps which is the regular speed. Is anyone else also getting this line speed/rate for 2mbps plan?
This change might be one reason that I'm unable to access internet. But I was not able to connect on last 3-4 Sundays too, but don't remember noticing the line rate.

Does anyone know that why would this happen: no connection on Sundays? Also 2mbps plan users, is your line rate/speed changed?

Also, I tried calling 12540, but they say due to bad line you cannot connect to this number.

Call 12540 during working hours. Share the stats too!

Hi x720, my internet has started working again after 10pm today as observed on previous Sundays, it won't work for the whole day. But, as my line downstream rate has increased to 2464kbps, my SNR has gone down like anything. I already face 10+ disconnections per day when SNR was around 10dB (at 2048kbps). Now it's just 5-7dB. Here are detailed stats:

Downstream / Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On / On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 61 / 109
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 330 / 183
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 189 / 124
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2,688 / 924
Rate (Kbps): 2,464 / 512

x720, what line rate (dowstream) do you recommend for least disconnections?

Others who are on 2 MBps plans, please confirm whether your stats have changed or not as mine?

Last edited:
Certainly. You're too close to the attainable rate. Sync at 1999kbps or so and you *should* be good. Will get 1.6-1.7 Mbps.

Hi x720, I called 12540 and to my surprise, the lady said that we cannot change line rate and this is not a complaint number. What should I do now, is there any other way to ask them to do so?

(I am trying to ask them via twitter, let's see if they do something)

Last edited:
Saturdays is usually a BAD DAY for MTNL mumbai users as that's when they do 'maintenance' :swear: but I think your SNR is a border line case & weekends just aggravate a bad situation:devil:

BTW atleast one of the staff who handles their a/c's o FB/twitter also, used to be in the habit of praising this company using his personal id & other fake id's created Only for the same job usually having only one post till @krish_88 & I broke his bubble even though he did try to brazen it out by using rude words but in the end he only succeeded in making a fool of himself in public

Last edited:
ya @socrates no customer can praise mtnl mumbai unless he is an employee or living very close to exchange. I also knew that those tweets were fake.

x720, waiting for your reply

The last two times, I've called 12540, the lady on other side told me that they used this number internally only, and that regular customers shouldn't call them. But, anyway, after a bit of requesting, she got the job done.

So, you could call again tomorrow, or just use pgportal.

Hi, I had asked them to change my line rate to 1992kbps on twitter via DM yesterday, I got a call today, I told him to change it to 1992kbps, but he changed it to 2048kbps from 2464kbps. I was like :mm: (dude I faced disconnections on 2048 too, that's why I told 1992!) . Anyways at-least it's working better than 2464. But one thing: they are trying to solve complaints when posted via twitter DM. So use twitter before pgportal.

Righto, atleast something's better than nothing!

Twitter has been a hit or miss experience for me. Last time I messaged them to increase my line rate to 16mbps, and nothing was done for a month. Ending up calling 12540.

Yes, the person who is managing MTNL mumbai twitter account seems to be misusing the handle . When we broke his bubble, he used to tweet 'Lol' from the official handle. This is the real case scenario behind people handling their social media account.

Also, they do not understand the basics and are Tech Challenged.

Saturdays is usually a BAD DAY for MTNL mumbai users as that's when they do 'maintenance' :swear: but I think your SNR is a border line case & weekends just aggravate a bad situation:devil:

BTW atleast one of the staff who handles their a/c's o FB/twitter also, used to be in the habit of praising this company using his personal id & other fake id's created Only for the same job usually having only one post till @krish_88 & I broke his bubble even though he did try to brazen it out by using rude words but in the end he only succeeded in making a fool of himself in public

Btw I received a call again yesterday asking whether the problem is still occurring. (I guess he saw on his side that it is occurring i.e. the disconnections). Then he asked whether there is a problem with your modem? I said mostly no, he offered to send someone or come with their modem. He even said that I can ask the lineman to rewire if possible if modem is ok. But I told that I have ordered a new modem which I'll get tomorrow or dayafter. I will call him if same is occurring with new modem (I order from Amazon on taking a promise from customer service that I will be able to return if it doesn't work with my connection). I also ensured to write down his name and number to contact. I am surprised with this service from their side. Maybe this guy is a new recruit or maybe the honest sincere employee. He even asked whether I have enabled g.dmt mode (which I did for just making my modem connect).