Weird Phenomenon when Using 4G.

Lolita_Magnum

ᓚᘏᗢ
ISP
AS17665
AS11158
This is really weird to which I have no backing except for the fact I see it every day.
This situation is only when indoors, ie my home.
I have one Jio Postpaid and one Airtel Postpaid. Both are of the highest tiers.

The thing with Jio is, that the speed test results are amazing and so are the ping times. eg avg. 30-45Mbps and 20-30ms but...
Youtube on Mobile, the resolution usually stays at 480p when forced 60fps video it usually buffers. (Use Higher Picture quality is set to default) and when used as a hotspot, at best it goes for 1080p (when set to Auto). There was a time when I used it as a means of playing multiplayer games (PC GAMES) when the only option I had was Hathway and Jio used to lag after playing for about an hour, but browsing is fine and smooth.

And the thing about airtel is, that the speed test results are generally poor ie, eg avg. usually 5-8Mbps sometimes 15 and 40-50ms of latency.
Youtube on Mobile easily climbs to 1080p60, sometimes even 1440p60 to which I bring it back down to 1080. There have been many times when using it as a hotspot I lose realization and the video plays at 4K, and even the multiplayer remains unaffected but while light browsing is fine, very heavy websites (sites with too many HQ images or even gifs) airtel chugs.

Call it a rant I guess, I don't know why it happens.

Same here, Airtel sometimes buffers even when speedtest shows good speeds & same with Jio. Speedtest speeds are good but real life speeds are pretty slow. Haven't tested this on hotspot yet. But I highly doubt speedtest is paid actor... Even after exhausting Jio's daily data limit it shows full speed I guess it's done by jio when they detect speedtest running they just ramp up the speeds. These days speedtest isn't showing up accurate results & it's hard to trust it. Even on broadband it always shows higher speeds than the actual download speeds. Man who know we all need an open source speedtest software (where we users host our own servers 😁). Because every damn company is doing shady stuff... Can we make something like that? I mean is it possible?

There has been something like that for a very long time.

They also have sponsored speed test servers, but are mostly international.