Weird disconnections on excitel during day time

• Thread starter Thread starter Sidharth P
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1,885
ISP
excitel
So, recently I have been having a lot of disconnections with Excitel. I contacted my lco multiple times and he said he has done everything to try fixing it, changing cables, ports everything but still I get disconnections every 10 seconds during day time from 11AM to 7PM then magically it fixes itself and I get stable 25Mbps again, I tried multiple routers yet no avail, neither me nor the lco could figure out the problem here. Is anything interfearing with the cable, like high power lines? I feel like Cat5e for last mile is a bad idea considering that my denboomband connection which uses coax runs perfectly all the time.

@Sidharth P a bad switch can be the problem. I too face the same during afternoon for the past 15 days as the switch get heats up with direct sunlight. I guess yours may be the same case. LCO generally don't change switches until they are dead or gives too much of problem. Yes, coaxial cable are good in comparison to this Cat5e cable, I have a Nextra connection which uses EoC and its always stable without any issues.

Last edited:
@opomiyulen I have been trying to get my cable connected from the front box which is always under shade. Brought my own Shielded Outdoor rated cable, will try to get it connected.

@opomiyulen I brought it from ebay UK, few sellers ship internationally. Search for "Outdoor CAT5e 30m" on eBay, don't look on ebay India as most cables are fake. The original listing I brought the cable from seems to be unavailable.
Another option is to get indoor rated Shielded cat5e as the expected time of life isn't too different. You can find cheap cables on http://bwindia.net or mdcomputers.in

Ebay/Amazon India cables tend to be either CCA or fake. I brought a 305m Shielded cat5e for wiring my house. However you'll need to do bank transfer if you buy from bwindia.net.

ok. i am stupid when it comes to these things. isnt cat6 better than cat5e? why not just use cat6?

CAT6 is indeed better but the price difference is not worth it for Excitel as the distances and speeds are low. Excitel only syncs at 10/100, CAT6 is neefed for Gigabit at 100meters.

i thought the cost was around 20 bucks per meter? if you are talking about 30 meters of cable, it is still around 600 bucks. how much saving do you get? 😛 i can understand if you are wiring your complete house... but even for that, it makes more sense to go for gigabit cable to be futureproof. again, i am clueless about these things 🙂

Agreed, but I would rather go Shielded cat5e vs unshielded cat6 because cat5e can still do Gigabit at upto 55m. In my house I need multiple short cable runs to all the rooms rather than a single long cable, also the wire is running parallel to 240V Power line which can cause packet loss under circumstances on unshielded cables.