Web browsing Not that fast ?

• Thread starter Thread starter rango
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 6,021
Hi,

Been using railtel since 3 months. I am in 10 mbps connection.The download speed is full 10 mbps consistently.

But web browsing speed is far less then that. 200-300 kbps average, which isn't great for 10 mbps connection.

Do you guys have any tips to improve that? that would be great! any software and internet settings etc?

thanks.

Use a better DNS like Google DNS.

Thanks for the reply. But used google dns, open dns, and many others. No changes.

how much speed you are getting for web browsing if i may ask ?

Browsing of websites is poor in Railwire, i am also using 10 Mbps plan. The speed is constant but loading of many websites are slow and lags a lot. I am not able to find a solution for it.

Browsing is also downloading. Our browser is downloading html pages.

@meetdilip I agree, but loading the same page again or visiting a link inside a simple design website should take long?

whatever the process is for general web browsing, its way slower then downloading a document or a video or a mp3 file (you get my point).

except web browsing, everything is super fast. (10 mbps consistently even for hours)

so, for sure there is a problem in web browsing (using any browser)

would be great if anyone have any methods to improve the speed

web browsing is very different from downloading. a web page could be made up of 100 things. images, css files, javascripts, web fonts and of course the html code. the larger the number of files, the slower the page would load. because every single element needs an independent connection and that adds to the time. downloading a larger file is faster because once the connection is made, you are using your full bandwidth. you can just test it by downloading 100 small files and one large file of the same size. 100 files would take a lot more time because of the number of handshakes required.

@ ouch, i understand all these points. Still 3 mbps 3g internet through reverse tethering works faster then 10 mbps of railtel when it comes to web browsing.
Anyone using other broadband like airtel face same problem or loading of web pages work faster?

btw, thanks for the detailed explanation @ ouch.

i can only recommend getting a VPN. i have to use vpn on reliance at times because it has messed up routing with some cdns like Amazon cloudfront. it's little users like me and you can do about it. because the problem probably lies at their data centers where the connectivity with international routes is configured. giving raw speeds is easy i guess. giving optimized routing is not. you need people who understand what they need to do working at the right positions.

@ ouch, Your 100% right. They have all the tools, still they lack in technical part of it, i noted that with few calls i had with them. But far better then bsnl for me. So have to take it.

Will test with free VPN, if that works, like you said, will go for a vpn.

Thank you so much for your inputs, sure helped me and believe others too. thanks again !

its way slower then downloading a document or a video or a mp3 file

Those websites which give 3gp and mp3 files normally give very slow speeds.

@meetdilip I agree, but loading the same page again or visiting a link inside a simple design website should take long?

Your browser ( most of them ) caches already visited page. So revisiting should be faster. As for clicking on a link, you have now started an altogether new process of page downloading.

i have been using bsnl for 3 years and i feel browsing is smooth on 512 connection and i cant feel it on railwire 512 its laggy some times but ok with youtube bufferging

@teamgbz I think they have some latency issues, i used 512kbps for 20 days and it was very bad. Most of the time page load very slowly, but sometime very good.

Nowadays it has become worse, after FUP most of the time my railwire speed is 0.07 or 0.10 Mbps in speed test result.