• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,303

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,I know the very basics of Linux, self-taught though, what do I need to set up a Linux based (Fedora 12) network of 4-5 computers that I have as spares in my friend's office. All are working well, just 2 years old. What hardware I need? Routers, switches whatever. I know nothing about networking. I only have a few old Linux books that talk about print server, LAN server, web server, mail server etc. If you know someone who can help me set up the network, then please tell me as to how much it will cost. Please guide me. Thanks..

Please help me guys, any open source volunteers? Thanks...

Just a 8 port switch is sufficient.Rest is software part. You can set up anything, FTP, SMB or even NFS to share files.

Just a 8 port switch is sufficient.

Rest is software part. You can set up anything, FTP, SMB or even NFS to share files.

Thanks Amish.

So there is no need to buy routers or anything else? Good. How much does a 8 port switch cost? Any idea? Thanks

Hi,

I know the very basics of Linux, self-taught though, what do I need to set up a Linux based (Fedora 12) network of 4-5 computers that I have as spares in my friend's office. All are working well, just 2 years old. What hardware I need? Routers, switches whatever. I know nothing about networking. I only have a few old Linux books that talk about print server, LAN server, web server, mail server etc. If you know someone who can help me set up the network, then please tell me as to how much it will cost. Please guide me. Thanks..

First things is first ... your question is not clear
1 . you need to setup a fedora on a master computer .. and you wanna share the network form that computer to others .....
2. or you just need all 4 system's on fedora,,,connnected to router or switch ...

in second option you need a switch of 8 ported preffered gig-bit ... ( definately u will suffer if u work more on lan .if u opt 100mpbs switch ) ...
and configure the ip address on the computer's 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.10 mask 255.255.255.0 ( easy to type 🙂 )