Want to install Vonage(VOIP) in Delhi

• Thread starter Thread starter ashinusa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 23,656
Hi Folks,Just wanted to let you know that I had given this setup a shot with Broadvoice service as well and it worked great. I brought the Vonage adapter back with me and left the Sipura adapter for Broadvoice out there. It is working fine for me for talking to my parents. Voice quality is just great.

well, if u want PC to PC talk, don't go further, just check out the new beta version of Yahoo! messenger...

http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

it's realtime, crystal clear, and u can hear ur gf's sighs as well 😉

it's got PC to Phone thing as well, if u've got the money 😛

Hello.. guysI am trying to do the same thing, my dad got the airtel connection, I think its the 128 kpbs package, and I sent him the Vonage ATA as well... Is the setup smooth in India, or you have to play around with things? ...any suggestions? Thank you people...

Hi All, I was trying to setup Vonage with BSNL connection (128kb). For some reason I am not able to make it work. When I run ipconfig I get an private IP address like 192.168.1.5. What do other successful people see?. Do you get a pubic IP address (not starting with 192, 127, 10...). I would appreciate if other successful users give details on how to make vonage work. What was the connection type you used (PPoE/Static/Dynamic)?. Did you have to tweak the vonage router settings. If so, please provide details. Any help is appreciated.Ramesh.

Hi,I took a connection from Vonage recently and returned to India. When I tried to connect to BSNL using Linksys adapter from my cousin's BSNL Dataone Home 500 connection it failed. I got an error message Error 678. Later, in the next day, I could get connected to BSNL without the Linksys adapter but when I tried with Linksys Adapter it failed and I got the same error message Error 678. Can someone help me in this regard? I appreciate if someone could help me with a step-by-step procedure to connect the Linksys adapter using BSNL Dataone Home 500 connection and make it working. It would be a great help if someone can guide me asap.

Hello Ashinusa,I have the same airtel connection as you have, the same modem you are using, Linksys phone adapter from Vonage and D-Link's wireless router. In my phone adapter(Linksys) the PHONE LED doesn't become stable green, so I am not getting the dialtone from my phone and thus unable to place a call. I was getting the dialtone when I had not connected the wireless router (Dlink) and was able to place calls to U.S. and Canada.Can you help me with the settings of my coonections. Airtel people are not able to help. Say that their internet is working fine and they know nothing about vonage.Thank you in anticipation,Harman in Chandigarh

Originally posted by ashinusa@Apr 23 2005, 05:24 PM
The model number of my modem is WGR614.
[snapback]8369[/snapback]
[/quote]

Your posts have been very helpful. I use Comcast in Calif, USA. I am leaving for Delhi in two weeks. My father also has the Airtel home broadband option. He has to dial-ip to get the DSL connected.
I have bought the same router. I just need to use it to share the DSL between my father's machine and my laptop with a wireless card. My question is - doesn't the router have to do the dial-up for the DSL? I cannot find anything in the router documentation which says it can do this. Is this the right router then or do I need another kind?
I know the posts have been talking about also using the Vonage box - what was not clear was are they using 'always-on' DSL or a dial-up.
I would really appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks in advance

Originally posted by chandrat@May 1 2005, 02:34 PM
Hi KBJKBJ1,

My friend who is in usa, got vonage connection for himself, when he came to india,he bought one more for me,  right now i am using this vonage with BSNL broadband connection  and it is working good.
[snapback]8671[/snapback]
[/quote]

hi chandra ,
i too have the BSNL connection n Linksys router pap2.. but i am unable to get a dial tone on my phone. could u plz help me out
regards,
Kiran

Originally posted by ashinusa@Jun 7 2005, 12:18 AM
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to let you know that I had given this setup a shot with Broadvoice service as well and it worked great. I brought the Vonage adapter back with me and left the Sipura adapter for Broadvoice out there. It is working fine for me for talking to my parents. Voice quality is just great.
[snapback]11623[/snapback]
[/quote]

hi

i have a bsnl dataone braodband and i tried to connect my Broadvoice Phone& router and i was not able to get the dialtone. Did you configre the PPPOE for your router.

your information would be greatly helpfull

Thanks

Originally posted by ashinusa@Apr 21 2005, 06:28 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy visiting relatives here and I don't have a dial-up connection to move around with.
The adapter I am using for the VOIP is the Linksys Vonage adapter with the router built in. But I am using it behind the Netgear wireless router and am not using its routing capabilites. The voice quality is just great. Feels the same as when I use the same adapter on my 3 Mbps connection in the US. Believe me, even a regular phone line doesn't give this much clarity. I have the Vonage settings at highest quality(90 kbps).
I am using an adapter which gives me 220 V AC--> 5 V DC.
I have no idea about the legality of this setup. But  I am not using it commercially so I feel it should be ok. I have seen places which let you place VOIP calls for a charge.

My network setup is the Yozan modem -- Netgear wireless-G router -- Linksys Vonage device. I also bought a Sipura adapter before coming here. I might give it a shot with Broadvoice service as it is slightly cheaper and also gives free calling to UK and Australia. I will update the post once I have done that.
[snapback]8294[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi ashinusa

I saw ur post that u had successfully connected broadvoice at your home. I tired installing my broadvoice at my home and not able to get the dial tone. Can you pls let me know what special configuration you did. I purchased the Broadvoice's Router & Phone adaptor. Your help would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks

dunno specific abt the broadvoice, but typically u need to check if the BV router talks to to your dsl modem via enthernet on a static IP or a PPPoE.If your modem is working on PPPoe then the BV router can be setup for connecting to a static IP (IP of modem)Otherwise U need to config the BV router to make a PPPoE connection to modem.

Hi Folks,
I live in VA, USA. I just helped my relatives in India to get their Vonage working in Delhi.

They have Airtel DSL service and a Vonage Linksys RTP300 Router. All I needed to do was the follow the config instructions here:

But first---Make sure your PC is setup for DHCP.

http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=902&category=90&nav=3

More specifically for the DSL connection follow this:
http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=902...ry=90&nav=3#DSL

Quoted here

For DSL Modem Users

You may need to configure PPP-over-Ethernet (PPPoE) to work with the RTP300 Router. This sounds complicated, but it can be completed in just a few steps. Here's what to do:

Open your Web browser on your computer. Enter http://192.168.15.1 (the RTP300 Router's default IP address) in the address field of your browser and hit the ENTER key.
A screen with fields for your username and password will appear. Enter \"admin\" in both fields for now (you should set a new password later using the Administration tab's Management screen). Then click OK.
Click on the SETUP tab and select \"PPPoE\" as your Internet Connection Type.
Enter the username, password and service name (if required) provided by your ISP. This is the same info you enter every time you log in.
Select KEEP ALIVE.
Click the SAVE SETTINGS button.
Click the STATUS tab and then the ROUTER tab.
Click the CONNECT button to start the Internet connection.
Check for internet access.

[/b]

This works for sure!
I made NO other setting change from the default config of the router. Here is how I got them to connect the things...

DSL Modem >>> Vonage Router >>>> PC

Hope this helps someone
Rajiv

Hi AshinusaCan you please help me. I have an Airtel Broadband Connection. I also have a Vonage Linksys Phone Adapter with 2 ports for VoIP. Model No. is PAP2. I have a local address and phone line in USA. Now i have shifted back to India and my friend is still staying on that address and he is using that telephone number.Can you please tell me how can I install vonage in New delhi and start using it.Would appreciate your help at the earliest.ThanksJas

QUOTE(chandrat @ May 1 2005, 02:34 PM) [snapback]8671[/snapback]
Hi KBJKBJ1,

My friend who is in usa, got vonage connection for himself, when he came to india,he bought one more for me, right now i am using this vonage with BSNL broadband connection and it is working good.
[/b]

Hi chandrat

what extra u pay for the calls to usa and canada in addition to the monthly plan u must have taken