Want to buy a LAN Card

mreccentric

Addict
I got banned!
ISP
Airtel / ACT / BSNL
A week ago, there was a thunderous rain in my city, so my router and the LAN card got burnt due to it. Now, i need to replace my Router and LAN card. Luckily, the modem is alright. But, i dont know why nothing happened to modem, while router and LAN card got spoilt. I guess i can buy a LAN card for 250 bucks here in my nearest store. Please tell me about the specs that i need to see while i'm buying a LAN card. Also tell me what USB to LAN cards are? BTW, i was using Netgear WGR614 Router?Am also not sure what's happened to LAN Card. Can it be fixed in anyway?

First of all, get your house earth'ed. I mean get earthing done by local electrician.

Upvote 0
my house is earthed.. i'm sure about this at least for the computer connection plug. The issue, i think, is not related to earthing at all. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Upvote 0
so your on-board lan card fried but the motherboard itself is safe? try to go for a gigabit card. and also make sure that it has drivers for 64bit windows 8 and linux in case you plan to use them in the future :\

Upvote 0
THANKS... but i already bought a LAN Card from a store nearby. Motherboard is proper but the LAN port on it is burnt, so installed a new PCI LAN card.@bobbyguitarist i didn't get what you said (about grounding).

Upvote 0