WAN light - Default gateway - Speed throttling - all seem related | Syrotech ONU on BSNL FTTH

• Thread starter Thread starter maverick27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,747
ISP
BSNL
Hi all!
I've encountered a strange issue on my new BSNL FTTH connection.

After every 24 hrs. (Apparently, end of IP lease time from BSNL), the WAN light on my ONU goes off. On the status page, WAN state is Up. In other words, it does not affect my connectivity.

However, I have noticed that the speed of my connection is throttled to ~50% (~30Mbps on a 60 Mbps connection), once this happens.

On logging into the ONU settings page, I have noticed that the Default Gateway checkbox gets unchecked in the Internet profile, while that in the VOIP profile gets checked. In other words, Default gateway cannot be checked in both.

I have to manually check it back in the Internet profile, and uncheck it in the VOIP profile. Once I do so, the speed gets restored. Note that the WAN light still doesn't come on after doing this.

Please help! It is very annoying to be doing this every 24 hrs.

Looking forward, especially to @varkey @sloj @Nikhil Sharma

Thanks in advance!

Device model: SY-GPON-1110-WADONT
Hardware Version: V1.3
Firmware Version: V2.0.19-200818

Last edited:
There can only be one default gateway. It's the gateway through which packets flow through by default to get to other networks.

Strange that Internet profile gateway is getting unchecked. This is likely a bug in the firmware.

What are the PPP Types available in the UI? Also, what is the ONT Model number?

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly why its getting throttled. My guess is all the traffic is going through VOIP Interface maybe?

What are the PPP Types available in the UI? Also, what is the ONT Model number?

I got similar one from Excitel initally before going for dumb ONU. It's kind of a mess.

Did BSNL give you the ONT? What did it cost?

Here, connections are provided through LCO. However, i bought the ONU from a local distributor, because the LCO didn't have the dual band variant.
Cost me 3200 bucks.

@JB701 did you just delete your reply?

Anyway, i wanted to do exactly that. However, the local vendor informed me that the dumb onu wasn't compatible with bsnl here. Don't know why. I wasn't aware of Syrotech's shittiness at that time.

In addition, i don't want to go through the hassle of re-registering and authenticating a new onu with the lco. Getting the connection itself was such a pain.

I thought you needed VOIP so thats why I deleted.

I think your vendor might be lying to get more money. Dumb Syrotech ONUs do work on BSNL as far as I know.

What you can do is, put the syrotech onu you have in bridge mode and get a separate router.

Also, someone else here might have a solution for the throttling issue.

Telnet is kinda basic on this anyways. I turned it on by modifying the config file. Don't have the ONT anymore so I can't help you much. But you need to get the config file from backup and restore section, modify the Telnet enabled flag and restore it.

I experimented by making the voice profile static (although i knew at the end of lease time it would become irrelevant).

At the end of 24 hrs, the default gateway box under the internet profile was unchecked again. And this times, since the router didn't have any box to check in the voice profile, my internet just went down. Status of both voice and internet showed up in the status page, but actually net was down.

Theo moment i reverted settings to as they were before, internet was back.

Does this rule out/clarify anything? Am i missing anything?

Hahahaha! I'm fucked that way as well! Cuz then the LCO's autoconfig would kick in 😂

Today i'm going to strictly ask the lco to disable any form of autoconfig for me. Enough's enough.

Hey @JB701 you were correct! Today, i had a look at the routing table, and found that the gateway for 0.0.0.0 mysteriously changes from * to the voice gateway. Also, its interface had changed from internet to voice.

My guess is that when the IP lease time for the internet profile ends, the interface probably goes down for some seconds while a new IP is assigned. And hence, it changes to the next available gateway as a fallback.

Is there a way to permanently set this right from the CLI? Because the web management offers no such option. In other words, the router should not be deciding the route of last resort on its own dynamically! It must be fixed!

Last edited: