WAN (Cable Internet) on ADSL modems like DSL 2750U / HW-I1 and 2730U / HW-C1

vishalpb

I have been reading multiple threads on how to enable LAN functionality on Indian ADSL routers like DSL-2730U and DSL-2750U that don't have WAN feature activated on these modems. Some have suggested updating firmware to ME version or RU version. I wasn't comfortable doing this firmware jugglery on my 2750U and 2730U routers.
I then found this post of smshashi - How to configure tikona with adsl2+ router (Dlink DSL-2750U) | Tikona Broadband.
I would like to confirm that I have activated WAN (cable internet) without updating firmware using the instructions given in the above post.

I will quickly explain the steps with clarifications:
A. Reset your modems with reset button function and then access modem configuration page through 192.168.1.1 (userid - admin, password - admin)
B. DO NOT connect the cable internet wire to any LAN port before the following configuration is completed.

1. Go to Internet Setup (on 2750U) or Advanced Setup- Layer2 (on 2730U) and add default internet settings with Bridge mode. | This step defines internet routing (selecting 'Bridge' helps assign non-ADSL type internet setup option)
2. Now setup the Wireless SSID name and security (I would suggest WPA-Personal) | This step defines the WLAN (wi-fi) access through the modem
3A. For 2750U: Go to Advanced setup -> Network Tools -> Port Mapping and then enable group mapping. Now, select 'Group-1' and add 'a0' from WAN and LAN-2, LAN-3, LAN-4, wlan to the group selection on the right and then save.
3B. For 2730U: Go to Advanced Setup -> Interface grouping and then define a new group 'Group-1' and then de-select LAN-2, LAN-3, LAN-4, WL0 and the Apply/ Save.
The above step-3 is to help you access the router's config page (for some reason I am not able to access my DSL-2750U config screen after this configuration).
4A. For 2750U: Go to DHCP Server (on 2750U) and select 'Non' and click Apply/ Save button.
4B. For 2730U: Go to LAN settings -> Top right corner, select 'Group-1' and then disable DHCP Server.
The above step-4 is to disable 'dynamic IP addressing' which is a major roadblock in accessing 'Cable Internet' which comes with a pre-defined IP address from the service provider's device.

Now restart the router and plug the cable internet in either LAN-2 or LAN-3 or LAN-4 port. You will be able to access the internet (note that the globe-LED on router won't blink as it is linked to ADSL internet but you will still get active internet connectivity).