vsnl email problem

• Thread starter Thread starter rooo12
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 26,516

rooo12

ISP
BSNL
the pathetic condition of vsnl is i am virtually no words to say.i got today dataone connection the problem is i cannot send mails through outlook express in XP by smtp.vsnl.neti called up service centre in bangalore they its only possible through vsnl dailup.how pathetic!!!!!!!!!is it possible to configure in modem(HUWAI) to send though vsnl smtp.

Originally posted by rooo12@Apr 26 2005, 04:54 PM
the pathetic condition of vsnl is i am virtually no words to say.

i got today dataone connection the problem is i cannot send mails through outlook express in XP by smtp.vsnl.net

i called up service centre in bangalore they its only possible through vsnl dailup.
[snapback]8488[/snapback]
[/quote]

IP validation is a basic check any ISP would do before allowing access to their SMTP servers !

The world would be a lot worse off with spam if ISPs allowed just about anyone else (coming from another ISP) to send mails using their SMTP relays !

Then again, guess they have Authenticated SMTP, did you try that ?

It is not strange that your attempt will fail for sending/receiving email using any other ISP other than what you are using. Neither BSNL/VSNL is at fault. Your DataOne mail account will run just fine on Outlook ! If you want other mail accounts to function, you are left with the only option - GMAIL.Configure GMAIL for POP access and download the GMAIL Configurator. Run it and you're done ! Try it, works 100% flawless !!As for your VSNL account, configure it to forward emails to your GMAIL account !! Now do the same and post your result below.

Originally posted by rooo12@Apr 26 2005, 05:54 PM
the pathetic condition of vsnl is i am virtually no words to say.

i got today dataone connection the problem is i cannot send mails through outlook express in XP by smtp.vsnl.net

i called up service centre in bangalore they its only possible through vsnl dailup.

how pathetic!!!!!!!!!

is it possible to configure in modem(HUWAI) to send though vsnl smtp.
[snapback]8488[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks for your reply pals
vsnl has smtp authentication. the username and password must be set to "same as incoming server". my question is even after authenticating why they they are inssiting on their ISP.
i now have configured SMTP as gmail's smtp and pop3 as vsnl and i changed the reply address for outgoing mail to the vsnl address. let me see how it goes with our customers to whom we are sending

"our customers" ? maybe you should use a better ISP or a commercial plan for customer emails... does VSNL have good mailbox size...i've seen a lot of commercial people using @vsnl addresses and when you mail them it bouces with mailbox full...just use gmail web access itself for your address, its got at least 1gb/2gb space and its really cool (labels/filters etc)

Your Status - U have a Dataone ISP and a VSNL Email.Problem - Can't send outbound mails thru VSNL SMTP when connected to Dataone.Solution - Set the SMTP to the one given by Dataone ( Shud be nmra.sancharnet.in I guess ), then set it to My Server requires Authentication, the in the settings put ur Dataone email id and Pw.I think this shud solve the problem. Pls do revert back to us all if this works as it would help quite a few others here.

As for me, I am going to get rid of my vsnl dialup acct. after it expires this july. I am quite attached to the vsnl email address though. I have been a VSNL subscriber since end 1996. But it does not make a sense to renew, simply for the sake of the email address as I would not be using dialup. Now that gmail provides POP, the vsnl email losses its utility with the meagre 5MB space.

Unless ur fed up with the 5 MB space, u could continue with VSNL with the settings I gave u. Even I have 2 email ids which are since 1995-96 with me and so I really dont know what to do. I think Ill convert them both to corporate emails ( mycompany.com as I have 2 domains with me ) and drop the VSNL. Old email ids are hard to drop and change everywhere.

Originally posted by agnivo007@Apr 26 2005, 07:17 PM
It is not strange that your attempt will fail for sending/receiving email using any other ISP other than what you are using. Neither BSNL/VSNL is at fault. Your DataOne mail account will run just fine on Outlook ! If you want other mail accounts to function, you are left with the only option - GMAIL.
Configure GMAIL for POP access and download the GMAIL Configurator. Run it and you're done ! Try it, works 100% flawless !!
As for your VSNL account, configure it to forward emails to your GMAIL account !! Now do the same and post your result below.
[snapback]8494[/snapback]
[/quote]

guys, was my solution a flop ?? :huh:

Just for arguement sake - what if Gmail stops POP access unless its a paid service. Right now they are chasing numbers to beat Hotmail and Yahoo.

Before GMail officially started its free POP3 service, there were tools which could enable POP3 access on ur account...so there are always some 3rd. party solutions for u to choose from...and most of them were free...do u get it ??

I dont get it in the long run. Anyways, each one is free to think differently. I dont like to change email ids frequently so a lil compromise is acceptable though I hate to be pushed against the wall. VSNL is almost doing that.

I am think the same for VSNL, not Gmail. If they stop POP3 access, I can get hold of utilities to make POP3 work...I just meant this !! So no change of Gmail ID is required in future !!