VSNL constructing $250 m express TGN Eurasia cable linking Mumbai and Paris

murphyslaugh

ISP
MTNL 1Mbps UL
MUMBAI: Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL) announced on Wednesday that it is constructing a new TGN Eurasia Cable System linking Mumbai directly to Paris, London and Madrid via Egypt. The new cable system is being built in partnership with SEACOM and Teleco m Egypt (TE), and will provide VSNL with 1.28 terabit of new capacity on this route during 2009.
The TGN Eurasia Cable System will offer express connectivity between India and Europe, and will also have future options for additional connectivity in the Gulf region as well as multiple locations in Europe. The TE North solution was selected based upon TE's long experience in operating this route in a highly reliable fashion as well as offering diversity from both current and future consortium systems.
When combined with the company significant capacity ownership on other cable systems and its privately owned TGN Atlantic and TGN-TIC cable systems, the TGN Eurasia Cable System will enable the company to offer seamless and diverse connectivity between I ndia, South East Asia, South Africa, Western Europe and the USA.
"The plans to build the TGN-Eurasia Cable System coupled and the TGN-Intra Asia Cable System are major steps towards VSNL's vision to offer seamless global connectivity at affordable prices," said Mr. Vinod Kumar, President, Global Data Solutions, VSNL. "The TGN Eurasia Cable System will serve the increasing demand for bandwidth in the region and offer more options for route diversity and redundancy. Moreover, the path will complement the SEA-ME-WE-3 and SEA-ME-WE-4 cable systems and will enable us to p rovide global express capacity solutions from India going West, and with TGN-TIC, from India going East." This system was made possible through the VSNL's partnerships with TE and SEACOM, which will help cater to the surging demand in bandwidth from Africa to both the developed and emerging markets.

http link:
The Hindu Business Line : VSNL constructing $250 m express TGN Eurasia cable linking Mumbai and Paris

Let's pray that speeds increase and net gets cheaper in india 🙂

The govt should force VSNL/Tata/Reliance to drop bandwidth prices drastically so ISPs can offer affordable high speed UL plans. BSNL/MTNL should also buy/build their own links to the outside world what with all these new 8 mbps plans coming online...

I posted some docs from MTNL/BSNL 1 (or was it 2..) years back on some thread. It was related to tender they had issued for buying bandwidth in bulk.Bandwidth price in India was not significantly higher then in US. ANd other lower costs (manpower infrastructure) etc should compensate that.

the point is. what are they doing for us..

Vsnl has heck lot of capacity even now but they never seriously target home users . They are happy leeching exorbitant amounts for lease lines from corporate entities . My tata indicom connection is working great and even at day time i can easily touch 230 KB/s flat . I have never seen congestion or speed drop in my connection ( unless it is local cable guys fault ) .