VOIP with Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter william9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 6,682
Thank you essbebe. I did follow the links provided by you. Those are great. I configured my modem as per the first link, but I lost the WiFi on my laptop. I was able to use the PPPoE userid and password. I am connected using LAN now, my WIFi is not connecting.I tried the connections from vonage and modem as per the instructions, but still I keep getting Error [008]. Also, by DHCP enable did you mean DHCP server in enable mode. That is by default ON. Sorry, I was thinking of posting a screen shot but I could not do it on this page. I thought Prt scrn and paste would do it, but it did not.I feel like I am bothering you but it also sounds like you are the person who knows how to set this up. Thanks for any feedabck.

Thank you essbebe. I did follow the links provided by you. Those are great. I configured my modem as per the first link, but I lost the WiFi on my laptop. I was able to use the PPPoE userid and password. I am connected using LAN now, my WIFi is not connecting.
I tried the connections from vonage and modem as per the instructions, but still I keep getting Error [008]. Also, by DHCP enable did you mean DHCP server in enable mode. That is by default ON. Sorry, I was thinking of posting a screen shot but I could not do it on this page. I thought Prt scrn and paste would do it, but it did not.
I feel like I am bothering you but it also sounds like you are the person who knows how to set this up. Thanks for any feedabck.

PLease see:
18 month/12months back: MY OLD POST:
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/3686-setting-up-vonage-with-bsnl/4/#post365223

for reference

LCD Error Messages

One of the following error messages displays if a problem occurs when installing or using your V-Portal. Each message identifies the problem and provides the most common solution.

* Internet Port Error [Code 001]
Unplug blue cable and securely plug it back into the blue port
* Indicates that one of the following errors occurred:
o Internet cable is loose, disconnected or bad. Unplug the blue cable and securely plug it back into the blue port. In rare cases the blue cable is faulty. Try another Ethernet cable in its place.
o Your modem is not functioning. Often caused by a loose cable. Make sure the cable connecting your cable/DSL modem to the Internet connection on your wall is secure and the modem is powered on.
o All cables are functional and securely connected but the message still displays. Pull the power cord out of the back of your cable/DSL modem, wait for 30 seconds and plug it back in. The modem will take a few minutes to complete its start-up process. Most modems have a light that should be lit solid when start-up is complete. The error should be cleared up.

* Internet Connect Error [Code 002]
Check if your Internet is down. Try restarting modem. For DSL: Check PPPoE setup.
* Indicates that one of the following situations occurred:
o Your V-Portal can not reach your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

This indicates that your modem’s connection to your ISP is down or your ISP’s servers are down.

Unplug the power cords from the back of both the V-Portal and your cable/DSL modem. After about 30 seconds, plug the power cord back into the cable/DSL modem. Allow enough time for your modem to complete its start-up process. Most modems have a light that should be lit solid when start-up is complete. Then plug the power cord back into the V-Portal.
If you still can’t access the Internet, check with your ISP to see if they're having connection issues in your area.
o You use cable service and the V-Portal can not get an IP Address from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

When you receive your V-Portal it’s set up to use DHCP for dynamic IP address assignment, the typical setting for cable service. Click Basic Setup and verify that the Internet connection type is DHCP. If it is not, change it following the directions provided in “How do I setup a DHCP connection?”

With the Internet connection type of DHCP, your V-Portal asks the ISP to automatically assign an IP address to your V-Portal when the Internet port is connected. The Internet knows where to direct calls placed to your phone number once an IP address is assigned.
The “Internet Connect Error [Code 002]” message indicates that the ISP couldn’t assign an IP address to your V-Portal. Simply pull the power cord out of the back of your cable modem, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. The error should be cleared up when the cable modem finishes powering up.
o Your ISP (cable company) requires you to register the MAC Address of your V-Portal with them but you previously registered the MAC Address of a different networking device (router or computer).

A MAC address identifies a device (such as a V-Portal, router, computer, or printer) in your home network (LAN or “Local Area Network”). If your ISP required you to register the MAC address of a PC or router on your LAN when you set up your cable service, keep the registered device connected in your LAN when you install your V-Portal. Your V-Portal can adopt that device’s MAC address by using a process called MAC cloning. Make sure the original device is turned on then unplug the power cord from the back of the V-Portal. After about 30 seconds, plug it back in again. The V-Portal automatically searches for the MAC address of the other device and adopts it so that the V-Portal can connect to your ISP on behalf of all the devices connected to the V-Portal’s yellow port.
If you still get the “Internet Connect Error [Code 002]” message, call your ISP to register the V-Portal’s MAC Address.
o You are using DSL service and your ISP requires that you use Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) as your method of connecting to the Internet but you didn’t select PPPoE from your V-Portal’s Web UI.

If your DSL service provider requires that you use PPPoE, as many do, navigate to the Basic Setup page (click Basic Setup) and choose PPPoE as your method of connecting to the Internet. Complete instructions are provided in “How do I setup a PPPoE connection?”.

* Vonage Connect Error [Code 003]
Restart and try again. Unplug power connector and plug it in again.
* Indicates that one of the following situations occurred:
o Your cable ISP assigns static IP Addresses, you’ve entered the assigned IP Address via the Web UI of the V-Portal but it was invalid.

Some cable ISPs prefer you use an assigned, non-changing (static) IP Address to connect your devices (such as a V-Portal, computer or printer) to the Internet instead of allowing the ISP to automatically assign them dynamically as needed. It is important that you enter the assigned IP Address exactly as stated by the ISP.
To solve this problem:
+ 1. Verify that the IP Address you entered was the one assigned by your ISP. You can display the IP Address from this Web UI. Click See full device status > on the bottom right of the Home page. The Internet IP Address displays under the heading “Internet Connection Status.”

Or, you can display the IP Address from the V-Portal’s LCD Display. Click the Select> button on the V-Portal to get to the main LCD menu then select System > Network Info > Internet Port.
+ 2. If the IP Address does not match the one specified by your ISP, click Basic Setup and follow the instructions provided in “How do I setup a Static IP Address connection?”.
+ 3. If the displayed IP Address does match the one specified by your cable ISP, check with your ISP to see if they are experiencing network problems.
o Other rare network problems that you can not resolve yourself. If you reviewed the information for Vonage Connect Error [Code 003] and have followed the advice but are still receiving the message, please call Vonage for assistance. You can reach our Customer Care Department at 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357).

* Vonage Register Error [Code 004]
Unplug power connector and plug it in again. Wait until you see the Phone 1 icon displayed.
* Indicates that the V-Portal can not register Phone Line 1 with the Vonage Network. Simply pull the power plug out of the back of the V-Portal, wait for 30 seconds and put it back in. If the problem still exists when the V-Portal has finished powering up, check with your ISP to see if they're blocking VoIP calls.

* Vonage Register Error [Code 005]
Unplug power connector and plug it in again. Wait until you see the Phone 2 icon displayed.
* Indicates that the V-Portal can not register Phone Line 2 with the Vonage Network. Simply pull the power plug out of the back of the V-Portal, wait for 30 seconds and put it back in. If the problem still exists when the V-Portal has finished powering up, check with your ISP to see if they're blocking VoIP calls.

* Vonage Activate Error [Code 006]
If you bought your device at a store, visit the Vonage website to sign up for Vonage. Otherwise, wait a few minutes until you see the Phone icon displayed.
* If you bought your V-Portal in a Retail store and have not activated it on the Vonage website, please visit the Vonage website to activate it and sign up for Vonage digital phone service.

If you receive your V-Portal in the mail it is already activated. In rare instances you might see this error message displayed even though the V-Portal is activated. Be patient. After a few minutes you'll see the Phone icon displayed on the LCD.
* Phone Port Line Error [Code 007]
Phone may be plugged into incorrect green port. Try other green port.
* Typically indicates that you tried to place a call from a phone connected to Phone Port 2 and you've only activated one phone line of the V-Portal. Unplug your phone from the V-Portal and plug it back in to the other green Phone port. The Phone Port 1 and Phone Port 2 icons displayed on the LCD indicate which phone ports are activated.

* Network Settings Error [Code 008]
Unplug all your networked equipment and plug them in again. DSL users, check ISP username and password.
If you get connected to Internet in LAN mode ( wifi later easy not needed for Vonage) )
simply shifting the RJ45 to V Portal BLUE port Vonage will work.
IN BSNL MODEM/ROUTER
ensure 'Always On" PPP/PPPoe mode ( Your UserID/PW stored in modem )
Enable DHCP. enter say 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.10
Apply SAVE REBOOT
Simply shifting the RJ45 from computer end to V Portal BLUE port Vonage will work.
In this mode 192.`168.15.1 ID: router PW: router, vonage settings Help pages
can be seen
All the three icons will appear Telephone(Monitor if desktop connected ) and Globe.
setting up.

:Special case: !!!
If you want ,you can bring the unit to my house for setting up. No fees !!!
Bring the adsl modem/wifi router also . send PM.

Thanks again essbebe. I totally feel like stupid here. I appreciate all your quick responses, but I am still unable to connect Vonage.1. My Internet is working in LAN mode, WiFi not working.2. I have set it up as 'Always on PPP/PPPoE mode'3. I looked at the LAN menu and could not find anything saying DHCP. Do you mean DHCP Server, if yes then that is Eanbled. But there is no room to enter 192.168.1.3 to 198.168.1.10. I am not sure how to post a screenshot,does Print screen work....I tried but it did not.

essbebe, Thank you very much, my Vonage is connected properly and working. However, I am still working on the WiFi. Hopefully I will fix this one. Really appreciate your time and efforts.

essbebe, Thank you very much, my Vonage is connected properly and working. However, I am still working on the WiFi. Hopefully I will fix this one. Really appreciate your time and efforts.

congrats.
Don't hesitate to call on my VONAGE NUMBER !! for any future guidance, if needed.
or post in this forum.