VOIP with Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter william9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 6,683

william9

ISP
BSNL
Hello Guys,I am new here and this is my first post. Hope would get solution to my problem here.I am in Pune currently and my brother stays in USA. I have been using my cellphone purchased here to call to my brother but two major problems I am facing.. 1. Voice quality is so bad. Just half of communication gets through. 2. Call charges of course not justifiable for the quality I am getting.I have BSNL broadband with 799 UL Plan with 256Kbps. I am not a technical person so don't understand anything about this. So questions I have :1. Which is the best way to call USA to get best quality?2. I heard VOIP is something I can use. Is it? and How?3. How can I use my Broadband internet connection for that? Btw, speed of broadband sucks.4. If VOIP is the best way (Please suggest if any alternative best way), what all I need to know and get for getting this done?5. Is conferencing possible with VOIP? What if I want to invite two or more people on talk?6. BSNL provides this service? or do I need to change the provider? I am open to that as well if good provider available in Pune.7. Any additional equipment would be needed? I have my Laptop and Internet connection as of nowI understand this is huge list of questions but please help me to figure out best.

The best way for you to talk is using your computer. Right now, almost all of the software for audio chat is mature enough for you to have a very pleasant overall experience. You can use any of the following: Google Talk (this is my favorite), Yahoo Messenger or Skype. Second option is to ask your brother to send you a VOIP adapter from either phonepower.com or Ooma.com or Vonage.com With Ooma there is only one time payment and you don't have to pay them again. With Vonage, you can make unlimited calls around the world for about $30/month. Once you get the adapter, all you have to do is just plug them into your router and you can start making/receiving unlimited calls to/from US.Third option is to get a VOIP adapter like Linksys PAP2 (usually it costs about $50 or Rs. 3000 to Rs. 4000 in India) and manually configure it to receive calls from US or anywhere else in the world. Your brother can make unlimited calls to you and you don't have to pay a penny. But this solution is only for experienced users for are adept at VOIP and SIP concepts and it would not fit really well in your situation. I think it is best for you to try to use first and second option.

1. Which is the best way to call USA to get best quality?
2. I heard VOIP is something I can use. Is it? and How?
3. How can I use my Broadband internet connection for that? Btw, speed of broadband sucks.
4. If VOIP is the best way (Please suggest if any alternative best way), what all I need to know and get for getting this done?
5. Is conferencing possible with VOIP? What if I want to invite two or more people on talk?
6. BSNL provides this service? or do I need to change the provider? I am open to that as well if good provider available in Pune.
7. Any additional equipment would be needed? I have my Laptop and Internet connection as of now

I understand this is huge list of questions but please help me to figure out best.

1. alternative to your PSTN network(landline n/w) there exist a VOIP alternative.
2. yes. Having a broadband connection is must. In addition to this you can have either of these devices to make a voip calls. they are IP phones OR PC OR cellphones OR VOIP adaptor.
make choice yourself.
3.256kbps is enough to make a good quality VOIP call. I had 256 connection and I used to make call to my bro in usa without any prob. Latest compression techniques makes sure that voice quality is not compromised.
4. yes VOIP is only and also the cheapest alternative to PSTN (Btw satellite phones alternative also exists but call charges are just 100 rs /min 😀)
5. yes its possible
6 dont know abt BSNL but MTNL do have voip service.But I recommend you to not to go for them. These services are only for those persons who either dont know how to run pc/laptop or want a dedicated VOIP line. you dont fit on either of these two.
7.I have already answered.

now my recommendation:
Just install skype and buy unlimited usa pack. link:https://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/?country=US#|allSubscriptionsTab. just 7$ per month !!!
or u can call per minute basis at 1rs per min(2.2 cents/min).just browse all the packs. CHOICE IS YOURS 🙂
lots of other voip solution exist like GIZMODO, GTALK,YAHoo chat etc you can try them if u want. My choice is skype.or gtalk
There is VOIP provider called icall who provide you free 5min call to usa!!! worth giving a try. Let me tell you what I used to do when I wanted to talk to my bro in usa.
I used to call from icall to his mobile in US. Then I used to tell him to come to skype and then we used to chat for hours!! .So , 0.00 rs spend with unlimited taliking.even cheaper than local calls to delhi. lol

I can help you in mobile VOIP solution also, if you tell me that which handset you are using.

Thanks a bunch for your replies buddies. So if I summarize both of your opinions and If I am understanding it correctly:

I have three options, either use software like Skype or gtalk OR use VOIP Adapter OR IP Phones.

If I selects Skype, I would have to purchase the plan but I suspect if I could do the conference with skype. I think, I would need headphone and mic to communicate and only one person can talk using it. So conference is not possible. No? Sorry for my limited knowledge, but conferencing is one of imp. thing for me, as I used to put speaker phone on of my mobile so that my fam. here and my brothers' fam. there can communicate.

If I select VOIP Adapter, I would have to pay approx. 30$ monthly. I would either get the Adapter (Vonage, Ooma or Phonepower) from US OR purchase it here (Linksys).

So if I purchase it from US,
1. What is the cost of instrument/adapter? or is it just pay for service and no cost for instrument?
2. Will it be compatible in India? I mean power voltage required, plug design etc.
3. I have used a D-Link Ethernet Switch between by computer and modem so as to split and get internet on two machine at a time. Something like LAN. In this case, plugging the adapter in switch will work? or I have to plug it in modem only and then can't use PC Simultaneously?
4. What about the phone number? Does these people provide me a number as well on which my brother would call?
5. If I will be paying $30 monthly say for example, still, my brother would have to pay his regular charges if he calls me on this? Like, he will be paying as well as I will be paying for that communication?

And If I purchase Linksys here in India (As of now I can't see anyone coming from US for me to bring it from US and I dont think, Vonage, Ooma or these guys deliver it in Pune So keeping this option also open)
1. I will be purchasing it for 50$. Then how call charges will be worked out? Like If I call using this, how much would I be paying per min and to whom?
2. I have used a Dlink Ethernet Switch between by computer and modem so as to split and get internet on two machine at a time. Something like LAN. In this case, plugging the adapter in switch will work? or I have to plug it in modem only and then can't use PC Simultaneously?
3. What about the phone number? If I use linksys, who would give me phone number on which my brother would be calling?

If I select IP Phone,
1. What are IP Phones? and Where can I get them?
2. Dont know how it works so might need a better insight from you guys on this option like where to get, how to use, advt. or disadvt. etc.

BTW, almon your trick is very good. Free yet fine. In fact, I used to chat only but I started hating typing and finds much easier to talk. Spending hours on typing than finishing in hour by talking is I feel good and hence is this post. If you see how long I have typed this post, it proves how badly I need this VOIP thing. haha.. :grin:

Plus you get your dear ones to hear and its always not possible for people to make available on skype and yet you want to communicate so calling is only option left. 🙁

I am so sorry again for such huge huge analysis and questions.. Please take me out of my misery..

If I selects Skype, I would have to purchase the plan but I suspect if I could do the conference with skype. I think, I would need headphone and mic to communicate and only one person can talk using it. So conference is not possible. No? Sorry for my limited knowledge, but conferencing is one of imp. thing for me, as I used to put speaker phone on of my mobile so that my fam. here and my brothers' fam. there can communicate.

dude you can always put SPEAKERS instead of headphones 🙂..I used to do same thing so that my whole family can talk with my bro..infact U can have good speakers with 5.1 channels and can have surround sound...lol ...just kiddin..
BTW, u can have conference with skype users without any prob..BEST SOLUTION ACC TO ME FOR YOU...

1. What is the cost of instrument/adapter? or is it just pay for service and no cost for instrument?
2. Will it be compatible in India? I mean power voltage required, plug design etc.
3. I have used a D-Link Ethernet Switch between by computer and modem so as to split and get internet on two machine at a time. Something like LAN. In this case, plugging theadapter in switch will work? or I have to plug it in modem only and then can't use PC Simultaneously?
4. What about the phone number? Does these people provide me a number as well on which my brother would call?
5. If I will be paying $30 monthly say for example, still, my brother would have to pay his regular charges if he calls me on this? Like, he will be paying as well as I will be paying for that communication?

1.YOU can search us websites like Amazon,circuitcity,bestbuy,tigerdirect etc and check prices yourself.
2.I dont think so. But check its tecnical specification b4 buying that...actually, it depends on device.
3.It will work..VOIP adaptor has ip of its own...
4. they do provide..but you need to keep your internet always on..
5. Depends on his plan, I cant answer this question

And If I purchase Linksys here in India (As of now I can't see anyone coming from US for me to bring it from US and I dont think, Vonage, Ooma or these guys deliver it in Pune So keeping this option also open)
1. I will be purchasing it for 50$. Then how call charges will be worked out? Like If I call using this, how much would I be paying per min and to whom?
2. I have used a Dlink Ethernet Switch between by computer and modem so as to split and get internet on two machine at a time. Something like LAN. In this case, plugging theadapter in switch will work? or I have to plug it in modem only and then can't use PC Simultaneously?
3. What about the phone number? If I use linksys, who would give me phone number on which my brother would be calling?

same question,same answers..Also have a look at this link http://www.indiamike.com/india/electronics-in-india-f15/vonage-in-india-t58324/
vonage provides you USA number. So if u have vonage then your bro can call you and it will be local call for your bro.
see dude, if u are buying voip adaptor yourself then u may have to configure that device yourself...if you really want to go for this option then go for vonage or skype service. dont buy adaptor yourself..

If I select IP Phone,
1. What are IP Phones? and Where can I get them?
2. Dont know how it works so might need a better insight from you guys on this option like where to get, how to use, advt. or disadvt. etc.

Ip phones are nothing but VOIP adaptor + analog phones. Simply speaking ,you need to plug in your phone(ur regular PSTN phone ) to Voip adaptor to
make a call but in ip phones they are packed into single package. in addition to that it may support email,fax etc

well william dont think too much. install skype,create account,attach MIC and speakers to your pc and thats it. Try for sometime and you will love it..😀

you may try this..... visit SPOKN this service is lot cheaper than skype.... i recharged with $10 last january and about $4.18 are still in the green.... once registered, you may download the client to your PC and (or) mobile phone (Wi-Fi enabled)... the voice quality is very good... your brother may also register and all calls between you two are always free.... if you can procure, by any chance, the latest type II modem/router (VMC AN 1020-21) being offered by BSNL, there is no need even to switch on your PC, because it has a VoIP port built-in... just config the modem/router, connect a normal phone and keep the modem/router turned on....
all the best....

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

alternately, ask your brother to send you a "magicJack".... for a onetime payment of $40 (one year) you can make free calls to the US, Canada etc...

almon buddy.. you rock! Thanks for your patience and every effort you put in to help me.. I will go with your suggestion and try Skype. Lets see how well it goes.. Thanks to evelocity and anant as well..

I hope that I can have a resolution to my problem. I have MagicJack and I am using Tatahereby Photon+. Until Nov 28/2010, my calls to Canada were fine. However, since the 29th whenever I place a call I notice that my voice is being "throttled", thereby resulting in distortion and complete unintelligibility. My Tata service is for unlimited downloads.I am of the opinion that a detection circuit in Tata's network latches onto a voip call and proceeds to choke off the upload portion, resulting in unusable calls.Here is a result of a speed test done 10 minutes ago. upload 1.4Mb/s, download 309 kb/sAny help will be gratefully received.

@mytriumphYour upload & download bandwidths are more than enough to make an excellent voip call. The "throttling" or "garbled call" may be temporary.Have you by any chance, upgraded the software/firmware of your magicjack on the 28th or 29th ? My "MJ" was rendered useless after I upgraded mine.

Thanks Anant for your prompt reply. Yes, I did upgrade my MJ software around those dates. I must also point out that I sometimes use Skype, and their service was equally degraded. I feel sure that Tata is interfering with voip calls or I am being paranoid!

Hello, I am posting my question in this thread as I am unable to find my way to start a new thread. I have a BSNL connection, Vonage adapter from US andType 2 ADSL Model AR800V v3.0. I would like to set this up with my laptop. I know, there are probably many posts on Vonage but I just can't set this up and get [008] error code. I unplugged all and plugged back in and still doe not work. I am not sure if I have to change in PPOE settings or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

I am posting my question in this thread as I am unable to find my way to start a new thread. I have a BSNL connection,
Vonage adapter from US andType 2 ADSL Model AR800V v3.0. I would like to set this up with my laptop. I know, there are probably many posts on Vonage but I just can't set this up and get [008] error code. I unplugged all and plugged back in and still doe not work. I am not sure if I have to change in PPOE settings or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your PM.
Type : vonage essbebe
in SEARCH box above for old threads.
(a)
If on DIALER( "Bridged") mode change to PPP/PPPoE
( Enter your UserId and PW in wan page of Modem )

(b)Enable DHCP ( see lan page usually ) Range say 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.20

(c)First ensure you are connected to Internet with AR800V. ( wifi mode OK)
( if ethernet port not available )
(d)
connect the RJ45 from modem end and connect to Vonage unit. port.
( BLUE cable )

(e) Reconnect Dark Blue cable from Vonage to computer. ( for desktop)
If you have a U.S number , should work.
Access Ip addresss for Vonage 192.168.15.1 ID router PW router.
Do not try changing settings in the unit, unless you are confident.

(f)
If Internet is not working, when you lift the Vonage telephone
You can also hear a Voice error report.
Mention vonage unit model number.

(g)No need for computer to be on always for Vonage VOIP service.

Feeedback item wise.

Your PM.
Type : vonage essbebe
in SEARCH box above for old threads.
(a)
If on DIALER( "Bridged") mode change to PPP/PPPoE
( Enter your UserId and PW in wan page of Modem )

(b)Enable DHCP ( see lan page usually ) Range say 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.20

(c)First ensure you are connected to Internet with AR800V. ( wifi mode OK)
( if ethernet port not available )
(d)
connect the RJ45 from modem end and connect to Vonage unit. port.
( BLUE cable )

(e) Reconnect Dark Blue cable from Vonage to computer. ( for desktop)
If you have a U.S number , should work.
Access Ip addresss for Vonage 192.168.15.1 ID router PW router.
Do not try changing settings in the unit, unless you are confident.

(f)
If Internet is not working, when you lift the Vonage telephone
You can also hear a Voice error report.
Mention vonage unit model number.

(g)No need for computer to be on always for Vonage VOIP service.

Feeedback item wise.

Thanks for your reply essbebe. I did not understand how to get to (a) change DIALER mode PPP mode using user id and PW.
I am able to get to the modem using 192.168.1.1 and using admin for both userid and passowrd. But cannot find how to get to step (a). Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply essbebe. I did not understand how to get to (a) change DIALER mode PPP mode using user id and PW.
I am able to get to the modem using 192.168.1.1 and using admin for both userid and passowrd. But cannot find how to get to step (a). Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
(a)
Go to management and BACKUP present settings to say
C:/MyDocuments / modem on dialer mode.

(b)
See this post No 6 onwards.(with screen shots.) add to book marks.
or take print out of all pages.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/61886-wifi-configuration-bsnl-vmc-an1020/2/#post416591
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7010/49341747.png
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1184/14531021.png etc

(c)
Select PPP/PPPoE
Enter USERID say zx4422123423 and PW usually password
if you had not changed it. etc

(d) check menu item LAN or DHCP ( Post screen shot if in doubt)
In LAN page Enable DHCP give range say 192.168.1.10 to 192.`168.1.20
SAVE REBOOT.
(e)
Check Internet connection is working in computer.
Then check VONAGE dialtone is heard in handset.

BSNL reference :Teracom Type-II ADSL MODEM MULTIUSER CONFIGURATION