Voip Service For My Parents In India On Bsnl Data One

• Thread starter Thread starter sumang24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 8,746

sumang24

ISP
BSNL
I am a resindent of United States . Today I found info about a VOIP service named MPINGI that allows to make unlimited calls to US. The requirement is to have a high speed internet connect > 128 Kbps. I saw that BSNL has a startup plan starting from 250 per month . It shows that the download / upload limit is 1 gb per month. Is this limit applicable for VOIP data packets? My parents just use this service for VOIP and will never hookup a computer to this connection. They will just connect a adapter to the modem.Thanks

MPINGI which provider is this before signing up read this link!!

This 250 plan of bsnl is good for low bit rate codecs like g729,g723,gsm,ilbc however i am not sure about g711(u Or a) codec as upload speed is not known.

Yes, Data usage is counted for voip data packets also as it is kind of data only.

Many people are already using it with connected adapter working flawlessly however you have give them configured router as troubleshooting it without a pc would be a big prob!
🙂 Happy voiping!!!

Yep bsnl 1 gb plan is more than enough for just voip .. dont use ulaw/alaw codecs ( even though it would work fine on bsnl 256 kbps but it will use up lot of bandwith for long talks everyday ) . .. i would prefer g729 ( most device support ) or gsm ( free and almost all supports it 😉 ) as they require veryy less bandwith compared to ulaw/alaw .

QUOTE(GSV13 @ Feb 4 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]78499[/snapback]
This 250 plan of bsnl is good for low bit rate codecs like g729,g723,gsm,ilbc however i am not sure about g711(u Or a) codec as upload speed is not known.[/b]

Yeah on 256 K plan g711 is not gonna work coz upload is 64 Kbps and g711 needs about 90 Kbps (actual in use consumption) use a lesser codec like g729a.

Also if u are using a VoIP provider check with them if they support the codec but if its a direct connection between two adapters then u can use any codec that is supported by the adapter and the ISP ie BSNL

Well Cyber bhai it was not possible before.However now after the speed upgrade to 2mbps i think upload speed might also have been increased to 256k like it is done in mtnl!!! if that is the case then might be g711 is also possible.

QUOTE(GSV13 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]78567[/snapback]
Well Cyber bhai it was not possible before.

However now after the speed upgrade to 2mbps i think upload speed might also have been increased to 256k
like it is done in mtnl!!! if that is the case then might be g711 is also possible.[/b]

Thank You for the reply. I am new to all this. What do you mean by g711 codec? Is this the router or modem that bsnl provides or the adaper that the VOIP service provider MPINGI will provide? If I use g711 codes how many hours I can talk in 1 gb limit with the BSNL 250 plan?

Thank You,

QUOTE(GSV13 @ Feb 4 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]78567[/snapback]
Well Cyber bhai it was not possible before.

However now after the speed upgrade to 2mbps i think upload speed might also have been increased to 256k
like it is done in mtnl!!! if that is the case then might be g711 is also possible.[/b]

I dont think they have increased upload speed, if they have then g711 is possible. Any BSNL user can update us in this respect..

BTW MTNL never increased any upload speed after 2mbps upgradation..it was always 256 K for all plans except for 512 kbps plan.

@ Kevin
for knowing what a codec is visit this link

If u use g711, u can roughly talk abt 25 Hrs in 1 GB