Voip on MTNL Triband

magicsong1321

ISP
MTNL Triband 590NU
Hi, One of my friend in Canada, sent me a Grandstream HandyTone 496 ATA,it is from comwave.net. So that we can talk using VOIP. Comwave.net charged him $15/month for unlimited calling between two ATAs. I have not installed or configured the ATA yet. I am using MTNL Triband 590NU plan with D-Link 502T.Now I know that mtnl have its own VOIP plan & they said the VOIP uses 35kbps and it will NOT BE Count in my regular broadband account. Is there any way I can configure this ATA so that it also dont count in my download limits ?? As I am planning to talk atlest half hour daily ATA Specifications :-Grandstream HandyTone-496 Analog Adapter Ports:1 LAN + 1 WAN + 2 FXSBuilt in RouterSupported Protocols: SIP Two FXS (RJ11) ports Two Ethernet (RJ45) ports Supports SIP 2.0(RFC 3261), TCP/UDP/IP, RTP/RTCP, HTTP, ICMP, ARP/RARP, DNS, DHCP (both client and server), NTP, PPPoE, STUN, TFTP, etc. Built-in router, NAT, Gateway and DMZ port forwarding Device bridge mode support Supports dual SIP accounts via dual FXS ports Powerful digital signal processing (DSP) to ensure superb audio quality; advanced adaptive jitter control and packet loss concealment technology Support various vocoders including G.711 (a-law and u-law), G.723.1 (5.3K/6.3K), G.726 (40K/32K/24K/16K), as well as G.728, G.729A/B, and iLBC. Support fax pass through and T.38 Support Caller ID/Name display or block, Hold, Call Waiting/Flash, Call Transfer, Call Forward, Call Waiting Caller ID, in-band and out-of-band DTMF, Dial Plans, etc. Support 3-way conferencing Support Silence Suppression, VAD (Voice Activity Detection), CNG (Comfort Noise Generation), Line Echo Cancellation (G.168), and AGC (Automatic Gain Control) Support standard encryption and authentication (DIGEST using MD5 and MD5-sess) Support for Layer 2 (802.1Q VLAN, 802.1p) and Layer 3 QoS (ToS, DiffServ, MPLS) Support automated NAT traversal without manual manipulation of firewall/NAT Support device configuration via built-in IVR, Web browser or central configuration file through TFTP or HTTP Support firmware upgrade via TFTP or HTTP with encrypted configuration files. Ultra compact (wallet size) and lightweight design, great companion for travelers(jst fyi...I know only basics in networking)Thank you and looking for quick replies 🙂

No way data's gonna count in every condition!!By the way 15$/month for unlimited between two ata is rip off unless you are getting some calls to canadian landline/mobile free.Use voxalot.com and call between two ata is totally free without any rentals!!

If its not locked to comwave then u can configure it with any VSP..ATA to ATA calling is free and anybody charging for it, is ripping u off.

Now I know that mtnl have its own VOIP plan & they said the VOIP uses 35kbps and it will NOT BE Count in my regular broadband account. Is there any way I can configure this ATA so that it also dont count in my download limits ?? As I am planning to talk atlest half hour daily

whenever u call the MB's used will be counted unless u use MTNL's SIP servers and for that u need to sign up for MTNL's shi**y plans.. they offer only certain minutes free for ATA to ATA calls..if u wanna reduce bandwidth consumption use codec's like g723.1, g.729 or ilbc

No way data's gonna count in every condition!!

actually, if you take the voip provided by mtnl, the data won't be counted. it does not use the internet, it actually connects to one of mtnl's internal servers. it works even if your internet is down due to some reason .. like iptv

Make sure you use g729 codec as recommended codec in ur ATA's settings . g711 will drain tooo much bandwith and little bit of connection loss will cause lot of quality issues . At g729 estimatedly u will drain 13 mb/hour ( i calculated at one of my friends place recently ) since uploading data is not counted in mtnl . Else it will be double this value for up+down .