Vodafone speeds on 2G - Chennai Circle

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 4,611
Cartel! No one wants to start a price war because it hurts everyone involved especially after Mobile Number Portability was introduced.

Got confused, because when I googled I got this

As expected, I am on edge now. Speeds are terrible and it almost feels like a crime to be charging for this. Looks like my short stint with Vodafone 2g is as good as over...

Yup. 2G was quite usable before 3G launched. Now they have messed up 2G speeds to push customers to upgrade to 3G. From what I understand, EDGE technology is quite capable of providing decent browsing experience.

Yep. Edge if run uncapped can easily deliver 30kBps. Case in point, after their network upgrade, Tata GSM easily runs at 25-30kBps here. Since they don't have 3G here, edge speeds aren't capped.

I have IDEA 3G plan of 300 MB. At first I used to switch data ON/OFF to save phone battery which would drain fast if I kept data ON with 3G whole day. But due to this my mails/weather/whatsapp etc won't sync automatically (obviously as data is off).
Then I started keeping data ON continuously, but kept mobile in 2G mode. So battery lasts whole day, and all apps mentioned above sync well with 2G. When I want to browse FB/Twitter or through browser, I change from 2G to 3G mode.
(Sometimes I forget to change from 2G to 3G, yet I am able to browser some webpages or apps like FB/Twitter, but images won't load as quick as on 3G 🙂)
So I can say IDEA 2G speed is also good. 😛layful: