• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 4,610

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
So felt even Rs.195/28 days is too expensive for my very limited usage of 3g. So, decided to try 2g for a few days. Reharged a 5 day pack of 2g & casually browsed to see H+ showing & also it looked pretty fast (on Tapatalk & browser). Is 2g decently fast and I can expect almost same "performance" of 2g as compared to 3g as far as casual chatting/tapatalk & basic browsing goes? Or is it some anomaly I experienced here?

Tapatalk should work fine on EDGE. Opera Mini should work Okish on EDGE. Anything else would be quite painful. Of course, instant messaging would also work fine as long as you are not sending or receiving photos.

But am I expected to see 3G/H+ even on a 2g plan, I thought it will always show "E"dge.

There was a time when Airtel allowed you to use 3G on Edge plans. Probably a misconfiguration on their servers. Maybe same is happening on your network 😀

As long as your balance is not being deducted... Enjoy 😀

Yup.. I think since I was in 3g plan till midnight, it has not been deactivated, but 2g plan is active, so its sort of in mixed state and I expect things to get sorted out by itself soon

Didn't know VF allows this.

Basically, you're connecting to the 3G network, but your speeds are capped to 2G levels. However, being on H+, latency is much improved, and, hence the faster page load times.

Yep, airtel did allow this. Still does in the Mumbai circle. Not sure about NCR.

A quick speed test should clear any doubts.

Don't want to download Speed test app for this. Will see a day and do the testing if it continues.

On a separate topic, opera mini is better because it compresses pages? Because even though I downloaded it, never got to using it...

MDMA is another option if you have a dongle 😛

I believe even chrome with off road enabled does the same thing.

Chrome's savings is more in the range of 10-15% because it does not reformat the page so the savings are minimal. Opera Turbo can save as much as 80% because they reformat the page. You still get the text content but the AJAX functionality is lost.

Airtel still allows to latch to 3G network when one is subscribed to 2G services even though they use Idea and Vodafone's 3G network in Maharashtra. Speed is capped to ~15 KB/s with high latency of 3G.

Lets see.. I also recently found Idea is using Vodafone 3G network in Chennai. And as we heard Reliance will be connecting to Aircel's.
On a separate note, have been wondering why all these operators change prices purely based on what the other is offering right now. I see most operators offering 190-ish for 1 GB on 3G now...