Vodafone Idea offers speed as a key differentiator to lift ARPU via RedX plan

This is a norm in the countries like UK.
TSPs even disable hotpsot feature for certain plans.
A lot of practices abroad are not allowed here. For example in some countries in the 90's a call to a number of a different operator would cost more but was not allowed here though both operators then wanted it.

They lost lots of postpaid customers due to network integration issues. To get them back this kind of strategy is used. Looks like they will throttle speeds in prepaid connections such a stupid move.
Airtel is throttling speeds of Post paid connection in Chennai. I did a speed test in prepaid sim and got 90Mbps and with post paid sim I just got 18 Mbps.

Did you do the test on two different phones? I might be wrong, but even if Airtel starts throttling speeds, they’d throttle on prepaid. Most definitely they wouldn’t do that for Postpaid users.

I did it on the Same phone which supports 3 Carrier Aggregation at 2AM. Actually Airtel wouldn't throttle prepaid coz they have just 1.4GB data per day which would get exhausted very soon. But Airtel postpaid sim especially 999 and 1299 Plans have 150GB data per month so the user can use even the full 150 GB in a day.

Here is the summary of the main benifits of this plan
1)upto 50% faster speed compared to other postpaid plans
2)150 GB Data thereafter unlimited at 1 Mbps
3) Netflix credit of 5988 per year(not necessary to only use basic plan, can activate any plan)
4)Yearly Amazon prime/Zee5 membership
5) Priority customer service
6)one international roaming pack every year for 7 days worth 2999
7) cheaper international calling eg Singapore@₹5/minute, usa and canada@50p/minute
8)1 airport lounge access per quarter out of which one can be international per year

T&C main- once pre-booked you cannot cancel it, if you want to exit the plan( port, discontinue etc) within 6 months you will have to pay MINIMUM of Rs 3000(Inc tax)

I have also faced this issue. For me after consuming some data, speed abruptly goes to 2Mbps all of a sudden from 20Mbps.

I can confirm this.
Though I believe it happens if way too many users in the area are using a lot of data.

For example, about a year ago, every day from 20:00 to 23:59 they throttled speed to 2 MBPS in my area.

Vodafone in Kolkata for me used to show 50-60mbps download on speedtest. But interestingly Hotstar netflix zee5 sonyliv all used to get stuck while streaming, only youtube used to work exceptionally well. Switching to Airtel, speedtest reported around 16-18mbps but I found that all video streaming works really well without any holdup, except youtube which gets stuck a lot in 720p. I am on 499 postpaid.