Vodafone Idea News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 444
  • Views Views 68,288
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has proposed a four-year moratorium on adjusted gross revenue (AGR) and spectrum payments apart from a reduction in spectrum usage charge (SUC) prospectively
What fuckery is this?? Jio hangs around here for 5 years and suddenly government realises oh no need for non-telecom related dues now PROSPECTIVELY!
reduction in bank guarantees, redefining AGR to exclude ‘non-telecom’ items, again prospectively,
WTF? Crores of rupees in litigation for over a decade over this fact. No one, not even SUPREME COURT thought it's unfair. They can uphold retrospective tax claims till they're humiliated in international courts, but can't recalculate AGR and its interest retrospectively!? Unbelievably fu*ked up, nonsensical arbitrary rules. How does anyone have any faith in investing here?! Who would even want to invest in the telecom market at this rate. Say one thing today, 5 years later something else, and a decade later, yet something else entirely.

This was the reason why BIT/BITA was brought so that investors are protected against arbitrary govt policies. After losing against White industries (Australia) and other companies we withdrew BIT after 2016. So now, even if an investor invests, there is no guarantee if he will be safe from arbitrary policy as you mentioned. One thing today, another thing tomorrow.

Long story short, govt is of the motabhai, by the motabhai, for the motabhai.

didn't the supreme court say...

No Thank You GIF by Karen Civil

Both vi and airtel had plenty of time to pay AGR in time. They are the ones that reduced the charge of phone calls in the late 90s and early 2000s and introduced prepaid to get more customers but they underestimate the Indian jugaad most people recharge with lowest denomination I had a friend in my college who recharge his airtel number with ₹10 per month before the jio era. Instead of reducing the charge of phone calls they should've come with plans similar to jio and bring 3g early in the 2000s they would've cleared their agr dues already

Both vi and airtel had plenty of time to pay AGR in time. They are the ones that reduced the charge of phone calls in the late 90s and early 2000s and introduced prepaid to get more customers but they underestimate the Indian jugaad most people recharge with lowest denomination I had a friend in my college who recharge his airtel number with ₹10 per month before the jio era. Instead of reducing the charge of phone calls they should've come with plans similar to jio and bring 3g early in the 2000s they would've cleared their agr dues already
Before this validity of 28/56 days came into picture, I used to recharge my Primary Idea number by Rs 100, and it would last me for over a year as I had secondary sim for calling/data 😀
Even after validity plans were started, I followed same. Recharge by Rs 100-200. After 28 days, Rs 24 (or similar amount got deducted) and validity increased by 28 days.
But now minimum amount is gone up (around 75~79) for even 28 days.

Perhaps Airtel/VI underestimated AGR dues decade ago and ignored to pay, and now begging to govt to reduce or let go. But they forgot how much they charged before Jio arrived for data/calling. I remember paying Rs 100 for 1 GB 3G data when 3G was launched.

People bad mouthing airtel and Vodafone here are turning blind eye to the fact that it was them who paid thousands of crores just to obtain the spectrum which jio paid peanuts for.

They are operating from the legacy tech which was not that flexible as the tech nowadays.

Yes I also believe by international standards what airtel and Vodafone was giving, were quite okay, as no one really questioned the high cost of paying for a gig of data. And people used to say, heavy internet user? Get a broadband connection.
Since the introduction of Jio, government has shown to be quite biased.

Govt can have a stake in that company for a percentage decided by a company (VI in this case).

Last edited: