Vodafone Idea & Airtel AGR Fiasco

• Thread starter Thread starter pothi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 233
  • Views Views 28,147
Today's economic times has some v interesting articles on this issue regarding the history & now consequences!!!

It is not like they don't have money to pay , actually they don't want to pay... Just threatening the government.

To add to it, Vodafone took away all the profits indirectly, years ago. So, currently, they don't have cash reserves. Banks don't want to provide further loans, either, due to high NPA in recent times.

I wanted to point out a few things

1. Problems in our judicial system. How prepared are Airtel, Vodafone Idea to face the Rs 93,000 crore AGR shock? The actual principle amount is < 25%. The initial case started in 2003. Our judicial system is the only government office that has 2 months paid leave in the summer. And 50% of judges are related to past judges. Ref 50% HC judges related to senior judicial members: Report and many other links.

Supreme court is now like bollywood / political families. They struck down the NJAC. And some other scheme to make junior judge appoinment transparent, by appointment based on an exam score(like IAS).

2. Everyone in the country, be it an humble tea seller, or a scion born with a silver spoon in his mouth, has a political opinion. We must respect that, and be considerate. No one has ever won a debate on religion or politics. That is why Elections are done on the ballot box and not on social media. 😅🙏

@sanke3 Been saying that for 20 yrs. I have always maintained that they shed crocodile tears & went laughing all the way to the bank. It's been happening from day 1 when mobile phones started in India.

Last edited:
To add to it, Vodafone took away all the profits indirectly, years ago. So, currently, they don't have cash reserves. Banks don't want to provide further loans, either, due to high NPA in recent times.
any proof/article of how they took away profits Or just a statement like that?

Everyone is blaming the Supreme Court but why is no one deliberately not talking about these companies hiding their revenue since last 20 years? Kamra catches up.
Why don't they first collect money from govt psu like GAIL first & set example of law compliance then collect from pvt cos. Trust me GAIL would go bankrupt with this payment without govt help. The clause itself is draconian, anyone with unbiased common sense know.

I am myself against voda/airtel previous way of working. But punishing someone like this to make them stop operations and losing the whole option of itself is not right from consumer point of view. Already miss MTS n aircel , after voda stops operation hardly an option exist.
Voda stops operation sbi n psu bank would lose more than voda at current value.

These companies bid exorbitant amounts in their greed to corner spectrum. Then to escape the huge amount they influence the government to convert the upfront fees to a revenue sharing mechanism. Now they say the law is draconian. What's next?