Vodafone Idea & Airtel AGR Fiasco

• Thread starter Thread starter pothi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 233
  • Views Views 28,219
Secretly I want these asshats to do well because I own some shares of Idea when they were doing well and not merged with Fraudafone. Realistically I know they won’t survive in the long run.

From a technological standpoint, it sounds nice. But the biggest hurdle would probably be the work culture, which would be drastically different in Vodafone and BSNL. But if this means a good way to prevent a monopoly, or even a duopoly, I’m all for it.

Even if Vodafone survives, we can forget about 5G or even a good 4G network from anybody in particular. Chide me all you want, but Jio has destroyed the whole telecommunications sector to the extent of customers becoming mere puppets in their hands once they attain monopoly. I honestly don't know what good the whole "giving everybody internet" fiasco has done. For one, not even 1% of the whole population uses it for enriching oneself. All I find on public forums these days are blokes who do not have any idea of the basic internet etiquette.

The only thing these days is "cheap data." To some extent, cheap data is good for the general consensus, but if it comes at the cost of reduced capital for technological advancement and a sabotaged PSU, what good is that?

Yes we have gotten cheap data, at the cost of a HUGE economic loss in the telecom sector itself, hundreds of thousands of job losses and no security of our own data because obviously, data protection laws are a far cry in India.

It's funny how people still do not seem to get the bigger picture, how speaking against the popular opinion makes one an attractive target for the 'know-alls.'

Even if Vodafone survives, we can forget about 5G or even a good 4G network from anybody in particular. Chide me all you want, but Jio has destroyed the whole telecommunications sector to the extent of customers becoming mere puppets in their hands once they attain monopoly. I honestly don't know what good the whole "giving everybody internet" fiasco has done. For one, not even 1% of the whole population uses it for enriching oneself. All I find on public forums these days are blokes who do not have any idea of the basic internet etiquette.

The only thing these days is "cheap data." To some extent, cheap data is good for the general consensus, but if it comes at the cost of reduced capital for technological advancement and a sabotaged PSU, what good is that?

Yes we have gotten cheap data, at the cost of a HUGE economic loss in the telecom sector itself, hundreds of thousands of job losses and no security of our own data because obviously, data protection laws are a far cry in India.

It's funny how people still do not seem to get the bigger picture, how speaking against the popular opinion makes one an attractive target for the 'know-alls.'

Will Jio not advance forward due to their other 'ventures', I think its not that big for them compared to what they think they will make in future. Maybe they will become monopoly in 5g time.
Also Internet spread in India has mostly had an ill effect, people take any graphic/message like its from a newspaper and very little usage for actually beneficial things like grievances and tracking

There needs to be some balance in the views about this judgement. And we need to stop railing against a particular telecom company and the current Govt to consider the facts of the case. It pertains to agreements signed with the govt. in the 2000s and we all know who was in power back then and state of India's business environment too. Telecom companies tried to dodge the demand by filing cases in the courts. And guess what? They lost in the SC and the plea has been rejected.

I have relatives working for VF-I, Airtel and they are very aware of the possibility of losing their jobs should the company shut down...as Birla said it would. It is a sad consequence of the business leaders not paying up Govt. demands, something THEY had signed up for. I am sure the Govt. will take steps to prevent a closure as neither it or the Indian public can afford to see VF-I or Airtel shut down. These are critical infrastructure companies.

Why should the government take the blame for a company that willingly fails to pay taxes? Why should Jio a new operator take the blame when the existing operators have always banded together to raise the prices, provide lesser benefits, hogging all the profits but not update their networks and let the customer suffer. No, we should not blame the Government, nor Jio. The only ones to blame are the managements of Vodafone and Airtel. While Airtel has survived due to the generosity of Singtel, the management of Vodafone is left on people like like Birla who only likes to keep profitable business to inflate their pockets. Vodafone has no one to blame but itself for making bad business decisions like merger and network integration at the wrong time, and then when their own decisions turn against them they blame the government, people in turn blame Jio. Reminds me of the Ant Grasshopper story. We should be thanking Jio for making entry into Indian Telecom sector and providing us the freedom of more speed and data. For India to grow and businesses to thrive, faster communication and more data at cheaper prices were very much needed. I would prefer Vodafone stay, but if Birla wants it to go, then it can go. Having a Grasshopper in the Indian Telecom space would do it no good except hinder progress.

Well, the government is responsible for creating an environment that allows businesses to thrive or at least survive. First they charged exorbitant prices for spectrum, then they allowed a back door cheap entry for Jio (using Loop spectrum which was data only) and allowed it to offer free services followed by predatory pricing. Now they want to collect huge dues with exorbitant penalties and interest. It is not just Vodafone. All other companies have folded due to these reasons. What happened to Tata Docomo, Reliance Communications, MTS, Maxis, Aircel, Videocon, Idea and so on? Did they all practice mismanagement or do you think that perhaps government policies might need a change?

Please stop worshipping Jio.
Do you think Ambani is gonna stop at this, they entered business at a fraction of cost compared to the incumbents. They used backdoor ways to get spectrum at dirt cheap prices which were actually meant for only Data. But using their clout they liberalized that spectrum to provide voice and data.
I agree on the airtel and Vodafone mismanagement issues but you are not looking at the bigger picture. Ambanis are the most delusional industrialists, their plan is to wipe out the competition and create a monopoly in India.
I'm not sure how strong the anti-trust laws in India, even if they are charged for monopoly they have ivy league lawyers to bail them out.

Its never a good idea to open a grocery store in an area full of grocery stores, unless your business policy involves applying something new, something that will attract customers.
Vodafone had customers who were loyal for years, it wasnt Jio's fault i moved, I moved because Vodafone's network became pathetic to the point of unusable. And no I did not move to Jio. I moved to Airtel.
If there is no policies for favouring new business then you complain, you say the government is favouring the Mittal's the Birla's. And if there are, and people like Ambani's come in you start calling it backdoor. You say Jio's implementation costs is fractions, do you know that the so called incumbents are running on old infrastructure that cost them a lot more to maintain and integrate into newer technologies? Every industrialist is a delusional, and presented with the opportunity who wouldnt? So how does this becomes Mr. Ambani's fault alone?
Honestly I cant believe it, just point out some facts, present the other picture and I get labelled as a Bhakt.