Vodafone and Aircel not meeting call drop benchmark: Prasad

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said Vodafone and Aircel are not meeting some benchmarks for call drops in Delhi whereas Airtel and state-run MTNL are within the limits.

"TRAI has reported that MTNL is meeting all the benchmarks for all the network-related parameters for 2G and 3G services ... Vodafone and Aircel are not meeting the benchmark of less than or equal to 3% for the parameter worst affected cells having more that 3% traffic channel (TCH) drop," Prasad said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.

Trai measures performance on call drop through two parameters -- less than or equal to 2% call drops and worst affected cells having more than 3% TCH drop.

"TRAI has further reported that all the service providers are meeting benchmark related to call drops for 3G services. For 2G services, all the service providers in Delhi Service area are meeting the benchmark of less than or equal to 2% for the parameter call drop rate," Prasad said.

Vodafone, Aircel not meeting call drop benchmark: Prasad - The Times of India

so what is he going to do about it? take money and shut up? 😀

In delhi currently Airtel 2g network is shit. Don't know what upgradation they're doing.

@x720

MTNL should be accepted AS IS!

MTNL should not be compared with any benchmark!

MTNL itself is benchmark for bare minimum mobile service and good cheap offers. 😀

You take MTNL mobile service only if you want something for cheap and service is NOT IMPORTANT.

(I am talking about MTNL mobile services only and not landline or broadband - where they are best!)

Last edited:
Haha... MTNL is doing good and Vodafone is bad... He is 100% correct... There will be ZERO call drops, if calls are NOT even getting connected...

@igloo I think Airtel is working for Platinum 3G in New Delhi (3G on 900MHz like Idea in Delhi).. I have tried their Platinum 3G in Kolkata, the coverage of 3G is now best, but network gets loaded FULL easily (I have explained earlier in another post) as signal covers vast area, hence more customers + faster congestion..

Thats ok but what about people with 2g only handsets. In evening i don't even receive 2g signal inside my house.

To be honest. I have 5 MTNL SIM cards at home. And never had call drop problem.

But yes - MTNL signal is weak at most places in Mumbai and that time call drops are frequent (if at all it connects! 😀)

Sorry my last post was not clear, talking about airtel 2g.
Mtnl 2g is another story, you get switch off or out of coverage area message even when phone has full signal, 3g network is ok for receiving calls.

Only thing that works for MTNL is the customer service. At least on Mumbai 2G a call can be made with full signal, on Delhi 2G, one literally can't use 2G for either calls or data. The call will disconnect within a few seconds after connecting.

In Delhi MTNL 2G is working like charm, sure data transfer is not possible but calls are never dropped on 2G whereas On 3G i am experiencing Call drops and signal always at 4 bars.

Maybe it's just my place, but putting on 3g only mode solves my problem.
Though 1p/sec without any stv is unbeatable.
And 20rs 250mb valid for 2days.
Is my backup if hathway goes down.