Vodafone 3g on iphone 4S - eating huge data

• Thread starter Thread starter pb2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 13,101
ISP
MTNL
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am having issues with Vodafone 3g plans. I subscribed for Vodafone 3G plan for Rs 650/- which gives 3 GB of data at 3G speed and after that it is 64 KBPS for unlimited use (For my iPhone 4S). Just after 9 days of month, my limit got exhausted. I do not use my phone for videos, music or games at all, so I was very surprised to see 3GB exhausted in 10 days. After that I have been on 64 KBPS which could not even download my email. So today after 5 days of trying to get my office emails on my phone, I again subscribed to 1 GB additional data plan for Rs 250. Within 15 mins of my activation, apprx 10 MB was again exhausted. I only downloaded few emails, nothing else during that time.
I am not sure why is it happening. I called up 111 and asked them for details of my data usage, which they refused saying that our system does not give any such information. Their executive had no idea as why was it happening. When I insisted to talk to any supervisors, after 15 mins of waiting, I was told that I will get a call back in 2 hrs. As expected, nobody called up.
So now it seems that if I want to use my office email on my phone, I have to use 3G speed on phone, otherwise it will not download those emails. I will end up paying for 10 GB at this speed.
Vodafone seems to the most helpless operator who has no concern about customer issues. They should change their tagline "happy to help"....
Can anybody help me why is this happening.

iPhone does not have a bandwidth manager I believe. Others might have a better idea. Fact is smartphones can consume bandwidth at a very fast pace if you have loads of apps running in the background.

Yes, I understand, Today I actually switched off all the apps except phone and emails and still I am having this problem. I am not even using Facebook, Maps, Location services, Siri or anything which will consume data... I was on a Blackberry earlier and my spouse is on iPhone 4, but never have seen such issue....
I am unable to use it even as a basic phone with just phone and emails...
I am not sure about bandwidth manager....

log on to my vodafone using you account. create using your phone number if you already haven't. You can then check your data consumption logs in the usage menu. That may tell you how you consumed data so fast. I have experienced high usage but then i have surfed using chrome which builds a big cache and also downloaded. your usage seems to be unaccounted for !!

Can you post here what all apps are installed on your phone?

Try downloading one of those data monitors from the app store and see if the data consumption shown by the App matches that listed by Vodafone. Also, as mentioned earlier, create a My Vodafone account (works only for postpaid I think). They show the data usage and the time period when the data was consumed.

pb2013 said:
Yes, I understand, Today I actually switched off all the apps except phone and emails and still I am having this problem. I am not even using Facebook, Maps, Location services, Siri or anything which will consume data... I was on a Blackberry earlier and my spouse is on iPhone 4, but never have seen such issue....
I am unable to use it even as a basic phone with just phone and emails...
I am not sure about bandwidth manager....
Im on iphone 4 and i use Rs 102 topup which gives me 300 mb of 3g usage per month, i use maps, facebook, location services and even youtube but i turnoff 3g after my usage and i still dont complete my 300 mb quota. Just make sure you turn off 3G when not in use.

The only apps I have - Linkedin, Facebook, Dhingana which I am not using at all. Surprisingly, since last night and today morning, the phone is showing additional 48 MB used. I have not used my phone at all during this time. It seems that it downloads something in the background, which I am not clear about. Is it a phone problem or Vodafone problem?? Because earlier on my blackberry, Vodafone had this Vodafone live in their settings for which I used to be charged. I do not know if there is something like this on iPhone also.
I also checked my Vodafone account and it is showing the time of data usage which has very high usage of 7 MB - 8 MB at some points of time, when I was not using phone at all.
I have deleted my icloud account, switched off Siri, location services etc.
I will try to download some download manager today and try to see usage there.

Are apps allowed on the iPhone to monitor data usage? I mean they would need permissions to monitor consumption by other apps on the phone?

It works as a proxy server so all your data is routed through their servers. Not sure if it is a good idea.