Vodafone 3G: Difference between regular and iPhone specific 3G plans?

• Thread starter Thread starter hitman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 11,120
But why u need to install the config profile? Its same even if u use corporate plan .. isn't it?

Not if you are using VMC. Like I said, the APNs for VMC & the iPhone plans are different. VMC is "www" and iPhone is "iphone". I need to use the VMC APN else they keep billing me as pay as you go on the iPhone plan. Then I need to raise a billing complaint each month. I try to avoid talking to Vodafone's customer care as it is a very frustrating experience.

I have an iPhone 3GS (Factory Unlocked) with 3G plan activated. Until some time now there use be an issue while using 3G services but now I guess its pretty much okay. Also, Vodafone have started stating a note under their Postpaid Tariffs as

Note:
All Mobile Internet tariffs are applicable for iPhone devices as well.

@GarfieldDC: I used settings through iPhone Configuration Utility as per this thread:
Vodafone India: Set up internet / GPRS on iphone - it worked

Should it be fine?

I have an iPhone 3GS (Factory Unlocked) with 3G plan activated. Until some time now there use be an issue while using 3G services but now I guess its pretty much okay. Also, Vodafone have started stating a note under their Postpaid Tariffs as

@GarfieldDC: I used settings through iPhone Configuration Utility as per this thread:
Vodafone India: Set up internet / GPRS on iphone - it worked

Should it be fine?

Vodafone has changed their pricing structure for their data plans after the launch of the iPhone 4. All of their plans (2G/3G), regular or iPhone, cost the same now. They have discontinued their over priced iPhone plans. This would primarily be because they are no longer an official carrier for the iPhone in India. They have two parallel plans due to the different APN that is configured by default in the iPhone.

Yes.. If you've followed the steps in that thread and everything is working for you then it is fine.

Yes.. If you've followed the steps in that thread and everything is working for you then it is fine.

Thanks GarfieldDC. 🙂

Vodafone has changed their pricing structure for their data plans after the launch of the iPhone 4. All of their plans (2G/3G), regular or iPhone, cost the same now. They have discontinued their over priced iPhone plans. This would primarily be because they are no longer an official carrier for the iPhone in India. They have two parallel plans due to the different APN that is configured by default in the iPhone.

Do you know when / what date this has happened?

----------

You are right. Vodafone does have 2 data plans. One is the regular plan and the other is for the iPhone. In terms of price, data connectivity and speed both of them are the same. The only difference is the APN that is used. The regular plan uses the "www" APN setting whereas the iPhone plan uses "iphone" as the APN.

As of iOS 4.3.3, Apple still had the Vodafone India Configuration file in the iOS firmware (meaning Vodafone was considered an official iPhone carrier). I haven't checked if it has changed in iOS 4.3.4. For this reason you cannot see the "Cellular Data Network" option under Settings when you use a Vodafone SIM. The ability to change the APN is restricted on all official carriers.

So, if you have the regular plan activated on your connection you will still be able to use the data service. But the iPhone will use the "iphone" APN by default (unless you have a Configuration Profile installed with ApN as "www"). Vodafone in turn will charge you like a pay as you go plan. This happened to me and I only found out when I got my bill. They later reversed the charges on my bill after I asked them how I could have two 3G plans active on my connection (Regular & iPhone plans).

Interesting. But we can add a custom APN entry using the iPhone tool or that co.nz site?

@hitman Vodafone is no longer an authorized carrier for the iPhone in India. Atleast not for the iPhone 4 (see Apple website). Official Indian carriers are Airtel & Aircel.

Almost all of the official carriers worldwide restrict APN editing. This is through the setup in the Carrier Bundle files in iOS. Apple has not removed the Vodafone India carrier bundle in iOS. That is the reason we can't see the option when using a Vodafone SIM.

Try any other SIM apart from Vodafone/Airtel/Aircel and you will see the option to edit APN. I also have a BSNL 3G connection. Whenever I use that SIM I can edit the APN.

Which BSNL 3G connection do you have? Which Plan? I am thinking of getting one for when I am out of cities in outdoors as a backup.

Well it's up to Apple to fix it and remove the Vodafone carrier bundle file from iOS. It's actually a pain for me as I'm on a corporate VMC data plan and need to install a configuration profile for the APN.

Your unfilled amount does not include discounts or adjustments. All that gets added when the monthly bill is generated. It doesn't impact your credit limit. I have a Rs 3000 credit limit and there have been months when my data usage was equivalent to Rs 6000 or more. They never stopped any of my services. Although I wish they had a way for postpaid customers to track/view data usage.

I remember a friend who was working with Wipro 2 years back and they had UNLIMITED Data from Vodafone as part of Corporate plan.
Are these kind of deals still available on Corporate plans?

I am on consultative status with a few Corporates so I could avail of these plans but I've got to know what options are available and which Corporate + Vodafone deal offers it.

Garfield if you have any such info and want to PM me that would be great.

Do you know when / what date this has happened?

Don't remember exactly when they changed it. But it has been several months since the change happened. I had received a call from Vodafone offering me the new plans a couple of months before the iPhone 4 officially launched in India.

Interesting. But we can add a custom APN entry using the iPhone tool or that co.nz site?

Yes. That is what the two tools are for. They help you setup a custom APN for your data services. Although the iPhone Configuration Utility offers more options.

Which BSNL 3G connection do you have? Which Plan? I am thinking of getting one for when I am out of cities in outdoors as a backup.

I am on their General plan. I keep recharging with the 1GB data pack now and then. I use the 500MB topup whenever I need more data within the month. The BSNL SiM is more like a backup connection for me. I don't use it regularly, only on weekends or when I'm out of Vodafone coverage. I need to use my Vodafone Corporate connection during the week.

I remember a friend who was working with Wipro 2 years back and they had UNLIMITED Data from Vodafone as part of Corporate plan.
Are these kind of deals still available on Corporate plans?

I am on consultative status with a few Corporates so I could avail of these plans but I've got to know what options are available and which Corporate + Vodafone deal offers it.

Garfield if you have any such info and want to PM me that would be great.

Most companies have the data plans on offer these days. It is basically the same Vodafone data plans but with cheaper rates. The cost of the data plan depends on what the company has been able to negotiate with Vodafone. For example, I know of a company that had the unlimited 2G data plan from Vodafone on their corporate connections at Rs 199 whereas for my company the same is offered for Rs 399. It is just a discount on the existing Vodafone plan, which offers unlimited 2G data for Rs 599.

I am waiting for their corporate plans for 3G data. Unfortunately they don't have any as of yet. I have been checking regularly with the Vodafone store at my office. Right now, Vodafone's 3G data plans are not attractive in any way when compared to the competitors.