Vivaldi Browser Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 19,241
Can anyone suggest me a good browser for desktop. My priority is mainly speed and responsiveness , and some decent customizations to go with.
Thanks

Considering most desktop browsers run on same engine (Chromium's Blink Engine) now a days, you won't find much difference between most.

I've been using Firefox Nightly for a long time now mainly because its one of the few browsers that don't use Chromium base. Firefox has userchrome.css thing to make it look different.

Also, uBlock Origin blocks ads and trackers on Firefox compared to Chrome due to preventing cname cloaking.

Firefox is also open source unlike Chrome or Vivaldi or Edge. Though, Chromium itself is open source.

However, it may not be as fast as Chrome in some cases. But for pretty much everyone including myself the performance is perfectly fine.

I avoid Chromium based browsers as much as possible mainly because of the influence Google has on it.

address bar thing is kind of hard to explain. there is just too much scrolling involved the way it prioritizes history, bookmark and suggestions.

lsBQagm.webp

there are a bunch of other issues. like if you are doing a site search (custom search), it does not highlight the custom search engine.

lxofrQA.webp
5JwFFaZ.webp

there are a bunch of other things.

when i talked about tab closing, i was talking about which tab you land on when you close a tab. vivaldi has provided a bunch of options but none of them matches chrome's behavior. vivaldi lets you decide where you want to land which is nice in 99% of the cases. chrome decides which tab to land on when you close a tab and since one is using this for so so long... vivaldi gets annoying to use.
Well, just on that address bar thing...you can choose what you want in the Vivaldi settings..

1606504750875.webp

For me, it's just that there are far too many options on Vivaldi to customize but it's just that the browser is way too resource hungry. Edge Chromium has been such a breeze in comparison and has come a long way, IMO.

Vivaldi's mail is performing much better. It doesn't slow down the browser as it used to when they introduced it.

yeah they do it very well. i used to use it as my primary email client in opera 12.x and it worked wonderfully even back then.