Visiting Tirupati for darshan. How to go there from Bangalore or Chennai?

• Thread starter Thread starter Topweb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 16,325

Topweb

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I went to Tirupati Balaji for darshan way back in 1999-2000. Took Tamilnadu express (train) from Delhi and reached Chennai in around 35-36 hours. From there took a bus and reached Tirupati. I once again want to go to Tirupati for darshan. To save time on travel, this time I want to travel by air. There are very few direct flights from Delhi to Tirupati and they are very expensive. So I'm thinking of taking a flight to Bangalore or Chennai and from there taking a bus. Needless to say, there are more flights between Delhi-Bangalore or Delhi-Chennai and they are much cheaper. I'll prefer going via Bangalore because last time I went through Chennai, roads of Tamilnadu were very bad.I have been told to take a late afternoon flight from Delhi to Bangalore and from Bangalore take a Volvo bus for overnight journey to Tirupati. Can anyone who is from that region or has been to Tirupati Balaji for darshan in recent times help me by telling the following:1. Is this a good idea to go via Bangalore to save on air tickets or is going via Chennai a better option?2. Where will I get the Volvo bus in Bangalore for Tirupati. Is there any website where I can check the timings of the bus and may be even book online?3. How to get to the bus stand from Bangalore Airport?4. Once in Tirupati, old procedure was that you were allotted a token number on Tirupati bus stand for regular (ordinary) darshan. Your time slot for darshan used to be mentioned on that token and one had to take a bus to travel to Temple around a couple of hours before that time slot. What is the procedure for getting such token now? Can we get such tokens online now before traveling? 5. Any decent but inexpensive place to stay in Tirupati? I assume that I'll have to wait for say 12-24 hours for my time slot for darshan? I'm going alone. Anything else that I should know about?I'm planning to start from Delhi on 20th or 21st July, 2012.

You can find buses almost every 30 minutes from Bangalore. If you want an AC bus, please check the schedule from the following sites

Book Bus Ticket Online - KSRTC

APSRTC Official Website for Online Bus Ticket Booking - APSRTConline.in

I guess the frequency of Volvo buses from Airport to Bus station is 1 hour. They charge 200 per person. Real good service!

Had been to Tirupati to attend a marriage hence cant say much about accommodation...

1. You have 3 realistic options. Travel via Bangalore, Chennai or Hyderabad.

2. From any of these places very regular buses and/or trains to Tirupati. Check www.erail.in for trains(availability/fare) and www.redbus.in for buses (availability/fare/booking)

3. From Bangalore Airport, there are a huge number of buses which bring you to the Kempegowda Bus Station. They city service and mofussil service terminals are adjacent to each other.

4. Ideally you can go in for a faster VIP darshan which costs Rs 300 per person. There is no pre-booking required for the same. You get into the queue and purchase the ticket.

5. There are many guest houses in Tirumala (on the hill) but accomodation is through a token system on reaching the place. Alternately, you can stay in Tirupati town in many Hotels of varying budgets including 5stars ones. You can travel early in the morning to Tirumala and after darshan, get back by evening.

--

Do remember that on weekends, it will be extremely crowded and flights get costlier.

Thanks for the replies.

1. You have 3 realistic options. Travel via Bangalore, Chennai or Hyderabad.

2. From any of these places very regular buses and/or trains to Tirupati. Check Indian Railways Time Tables, PNR, Route, Fares, Arrivals/Departures, Running Status - eRail.in (Better Way To Search Trains) for trains(availability/fare) and ONLINE BUS TICKETS BOOKING SERVICE » ONLINE BUS TICKET RESERVATION for buses (availability/fare/booking)

3. From Bangalore Airport, there are a huge number of buses which bring you to the Kempegowda Bus Station. They city service and mofussil service terminals are adjacent to each other.

4. Ideally you can go in for a faster VIP darshan which costs Rs 300 per person. There is no pre-booking required for the same. You get into the queue and purchase the ticket.

5. There are many guest houses in Tirumala (on the hill) but accomodation is through a token system on reaching the place. Alternately, you can stay in Tirupati town in many Hotels of varying budgets including 5stars ones. You can travel early in the morning to Tirumala and after darshan, get back by evening.

--

Do remember that on weekends, it will be extremely crowded and flights get costlier.

I'm planning to book air tickets to Bangalore today itself because early bookings are likely to be much cheaper than last minute bookings.

Where can one buy these Rs 300 VIP darshan tickets? I mean where is the ticket window? In the Tirumala (on the hill) or in Tirupati town?

Last time I went there, I was told that the accommodation in Tirumala was not easy to get. So we stayed in a small guest house in Tirupati town itself. Planning to do the same this time also. I guess, I won't stay in the room for long. Will just take bath in the morning before going for darshan and may be short rest after return.

Where can one buy these Rs 300 VIP darshan tickets? I mean where is the ticket window? In the Tirumala (on the hill) or in Tirupati town?

Last time I went there, I was told that the accommodation in Tirumala was not easy to get. So we stayed in a small guest house in Tirupati town itself. Planning to do the same this time also. I guess, I won't stay in the room for long. Will just take bath in the morning before going for darshan and may be short rest after return.

As I mentioned, the tickets are available at the entry to the temple queue complex in Tirumala itself.

I would recommend that you leave for Tirumala as early as possible in the morning which would enable you to beat the rush which starts around 10-11AM. So maybe you can check in to Tirupati the previous night itself. Select a bus from Bangalore which leaves around 4-5PM and drops you at Tirupati by dinner time.

I went to Tirupati Balaji for darshan way back in 1999-2000. Took Tamilnadu express (train) from Delhi and reached Chennai in around 35-36 hours. From there took a bus and reached Tirupati.

I once again want to go to Tirupati for darshan. To save time on travel, this time I want to travel by air. There are very few direct flights from Delhi to Tirupati and they are very expensive. So I'm thinking of taking a flight to Bangalore or Chennai and from there taking a bus. Needless to say, there are more flights between Delhi-Bangalore or Delhi-Chennai and they are much cheaper. I'll prefer going via Bangalore because last time I went through Chennai, roads of Tamilnadu were very bad.

I have been told to take a late afternoon flight from Delhi to Bangalore and from Bangalore take a Volvo bus for overnight journey to Tirupati.

Can anyone who is from that region or has been to Tirupati Balaji for darshan in recent times help me by telling the following:

1. Is this a good idea to go via Bangalore to save on air tickets or is going via Chennai a better option?

2. Where will I get the Volvo bus in Bangalore for Tirupati. Is there any website where I can check the timings of the bus and may be even book online?

3. How to get to the bus stand from Bangalore Airport?

4. Once in Tirupati, old procedure was that you were allotted a token number on Tirupati bus stand for regular (ordinary) darshan. Your time slot for darshan used to be mentioned on that token and one had to take a bus to travel to Temple around a couple of hours before that time slot. What is the procedure for getting such token now? Can we get such tokens online now before traveling?

5. Any decent but inexpensive place to stay in Tirupati? I assume that I'll have to wait for say 12-24 hours for my time slot for darshan? I'm going alone.

Anything else that I should know about?

I'm planning to start from Delhi on 20th or 21st July, 2012.
If ur travelling by bangalore u can go through Via service(package tour). Cheap Air Tickets, Online Booking For Flights, Hotels, Bus, Rails, Holidays Packages

10 days back i visited turupathi, through vai tour package which includes food, accommodation, quick dharshan service(and to mention its cheap service, that too by volvo bus).

For quick Dharshan it will take u upto 4 hrs, as u know this is holiday season so it will take more time.

I prefer going via Chennai. Since you are going by flight, trying to reduce the travel time is what is advisable. We usually go one day prior to the Darshan, and return the day after the Darshan. If you are in Delhi like your profile states, you can take the Sudarshan tickets worth 50 each from the TTD counter in AP Bhavan near India Gate. If you want to attend one of the Sevas, you can book online, but you should book well in advance. The 300 worth tickets are available only in Tirumala. Most of the time, I haven't found much difference between the 50 and 300 tickets. May be a difference of 15 minutes. Roads from Chennai are pretty good for the most part of the journey, and it takes approximately 4 hours to reach Tirumala, with a 15 - 20 minute stop for breakfast in between.

I am getting return ticket on Air India direct from Delhi to Tirupati for around Rs 10500 (both sides of trip included). There is a 40-45 minutes or so stop at Hyderabad, which will not bother much. This is the lowest price that I have seen and I have been checking for price on makemytrip and yatra.com since last 2-3 weeks regularly. All other return tickets are costlier by Rs 6000 or so.Departure is on 21st July (Saturday) at 9:50 AM from Delhi and arrival in Tirupati at 1:40 PM. Return flight from Tirupati is at 2:30 PM on 22 July (Sunday).If I booked tickets for these flights, then there will be no need for changeover to bus at Bangalore or Chennai BUT the question is that will I be able to do darshan in the temple (on the hill) in this time period? Basically I'll have a little over 24 hours between arrival at Tirupati airport and the departure from Tirupati airport.

Do not fly direct to Tirupati. Three reasons - the cost of the tickets, the odd timings (you land in the afternoon), and it is Air India. Not worth the risk. A Chennai return ticket with a car booked to Tirupati might cost a little bit more than this, but would be well worth the peace of mind.

Make sure you book accommodation and darshan before hand. You can do it online Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams

Both accommodation and e-Sudarsanam are not available on my travel dates as per the info on website.

It appears that I'll have to book hotel in Tirupati town itself in advance and buy Rs 300 ticket for darshan.

Both accommodation and e-Sudarsanam are not available on my travel dates as per the info on website.

It appears that I'll have to book hotel in Tirupati town itself in advance and buy Rs 300 ticket for darshan.

As 22 July darshan (9-00 - 10 AM ) available. May be you can consider taking return flight from Chennai/Bangalore. If you add 6 hours for waiting time may be you can take very late or early morning flight to delhi.

Tirupati is 268 km and 160 km respectively away from Bangalore and Chennai. KSRTC and SETC provide bus daily bus service to Tirupati. Private travel companies run daily volvo buses from Bangalore and Chennai. Train is also available from both cities. There are 12 trains from Bangalore in weekly and 10 from Chennai.
Some important trains from Bangalore as follows.
17209, 12864, 56213
Some important trains from Chennai as follows
16057, 12164, 66015
You can easily access car on rent from Bangalore as well as Chennai also. Several private car rentals provide cars to Tirupati for one days and two day.