Visiting Mumbai next week. Have some questions.

• Thread starter Thread starter Topweb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 10,729
Btw, one good news for Topweb - Auto strike was for only 1 day. Looks like the union leader Sharad Rao has got scared of the public ire if he had continued such nonsensical strike! I mean the Auto guys already tamper with meters. Refuse fares. create unnecessary traffic on the roads, and every 2-3 months they want a fare hike.Such luxury is not enjoyed even in "white collared" jobs!

The business meeting I was supposed to attend on 21, April got postponed to 5th, May. So I visited Mumbai last Saturday. I took a Kingfisher airlines 7:15 AM flight from Delhi airport terminal-T3 that landed in Mumbai airport terminal 1A at around 9:20 AM. I took an auto rickshaw from the airport and went to Ramada Plaza hotel that is right on the Juhu beach. There I had to pick up someone who had flown in from Bangalore a day earlier to attend the meeting I was also going to. Since there wasn’t much time, we went to the beach for about 5 minutes and then had a pizza at the Domino’s near the hotel and took the auto to Vile Parle station. From Vile Parle station took the train to Churchgate. First class tickets now cost Rs 80. From Churchgate took a yellow/black cab to the client’s office. Being a Saturday, there wasn’t much rush in the train’s ordinary compartment also. After the meeting was over at around 2:30 PM, we went to the Gateway of India. Took photographs of Taj Hotel and Gateway of India on my iPhone. It was difficult to believe that we saw bloodshed happening right inside that building on live TV just a few years back. It was actually a reminder that life is tentative. Then took a short ride on one of the wooden boats that operate from Gateway of India. A 20-30 minutes ride on a makeshift boat with diesel engine costs Rs 60.From Gateway of India walked to Leopold Café on Colaba Causeway but didn’t go inside because the other person who was with me was scheduled to take flight to Bangalore at around 6:15 PM. So took train from Churchgate towards Andheri and got off the train at Vile Parle. From Vile Parle the person who was going to Bangalore went to the Airport while I was left alone and my flight was at 8:50 PM. So I had some free time. I took another auto rickshaw to visit Juhu beach again and reached there at around 6:15 PM, right around the time of sunset. Beach was fully crowded with families at that time. I walked on the beach for around 45 minutes and took an auto rickshaw for airport at around 7:00 PM to reach airport in 25-30 minutes. I believe that the 45 minutes that I spent on the beach in the evening was the best time I had during the whole day. Overall I found Bombay much better than Delhi. Here in Delhi offices in suburbs like Gurgaon and Noida are totally deserted at 5:30 PM because employees who are afraid of poor law and order situation don’t want to stay for even a minute after their hours on the clock are up. Talking to female employees in the client’s office, I gathered that some of them commute from far away locations like Andheri to Nariman point or Lower Parel and are not afraid even when they have to stay in the office till 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM . Here in most parts of Delhi NCR women can’t even go out of home alone after dark. Situation in Gurgaon and Noida is actually very bad.Overall Mumbai felt like a much more liberal and cosmopolitan city than Delhi is and my first impression was that Mumbai is a better city than Delhi is for living provided you own a decent house in Mumbai because rents are much higher in Mumbai than they are in Delhi leading to a higher cost of living in Mumbai. Or may be grass is just greener on the other side?I’m thankful to everyone for providing information in this thread. This is what makes this forum great. The posts about Vile Parle to Churchgate by train and about taking auto rickshaw to/from Mumbai airport helped a lot. Thanks again.

Totally agree with u regarding nightlife and women safety in Mumbai .. U find police almost at every place in mumbai ..Apart from tht I find mumbai very boring .. So much dirty, congested and polluted .. crumbling infrastructure ..People r so ill mannered.. locals and migrants equally ..Safety of women gives one an impression tht how liberal the city is .. But its very opposite .. Most people r so conservative and very discriminatory ...And we know how dirty and congested delhi is and MK BK is so common here 😀But mumbai make delhi look like NY ..

Train is life line in mumbai .. first train of around 4.30 Am is same crowed as the last train at around 1 AM .. so mumbai never stops .. you will always find people on road .. Our daily schedule is fix .. always follow clock .. like leave home at 7.30 .. catch the train of 7.50 .. same compartment where we have all common friends .. then get down .. for schedule bus at 8.35 .. make sure reach office before 9 .. and then same back journey if you leave on time .. every thing is scheduled ....

Yeah! Clocks dictate how we live! 😀Btw i m surprised to know that u find Mumbai safer for women. I can just imagine what it could be in Delhi. Coz here too women feel they arent much safe. 1 day when i was returning with 1 of my office colleague at around 9:30.....we were just near the Churchgate station, when a taxi went by and the goons passed a lewd comment! So i thought, in an area like Churchgate station just at 9:30 PM, its not good for women, even when they are accompanied by a male!

Yeah! Clocks dictate how we live! 😀

Btw i m surprised to know that u find Mumbai safer for women. I can just imagine what it could be in Delhi. Coz here too women feel they arent much safe. 1 day when i was returning with 1 of my office colleague at around 9:30.....we were just near the Churchgate station, when a taxi went by and the goons passed a lewd comment! So i thought, in an area like Churchgate station just at 9:30 PM, its not good for women, even when they are accompanied by a male!

There are areas in Delhi NCR (most parts of "posh" Gurgaon and Noida) where you can't even step out of your car after 9:00 PM with your gal. So yes, situation in Delhi NCR is much worse.

In Noida and Gurgaon, we have kids of farmers who have sold their land to builders for huge amounts and these farmers have suddenly become filthy rich. They don't know anything about decency or law and order. They are not educated, don't hold any jobs and they certainly don't respect women and they create nuisance of themselves all day long.

Around a couple of months back, I went to New Delhi railway station. It is the biggest railway station in Delhi and may be even in India in terms of number if people that pass through this station. There was not even a single policeman of any kind visible anywhere in station at around 12:30 PM. Metal detectors were unmanned. So lack of police presence is a major problem in Delhi. On the other hand cops were visible on all stations in Mumbai and may be they act as a deterrent to the thugs.

Then how is tourism doing good in Delhi? I mean people wont have tags attached to them that they are tourists. Even if they have, the miscreants do not "distinguish" as such!

But to me, that should be a consideration. Coz after all u dont want to spoil ur vacation by landing into any sort of trouble like that! Anyways, we are going off topic now!

How I see it is that someone on a vacation would rather not step out of his hotel after 9PM (or whatever) than skip the city itself. 😉OT is our speciality, and you know that very well 😛

Hahaha! But not everytime people go as couple for a vacation! 😀 Many times people travel to actually explore the location!

What i meant is, there are people who would have travelled with the intention of exploring the locales. And so may be they wouldnt want to stay in their accomodation even in the late parts of the night.

Not really getting you.

u didn't get me in the Domnoze thread either u sure you are ok ? not on some medication lately hehe 😛