• Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 4,395

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Just curious... when was the last time your PC (of course Windows OS) got infected with a virus or a worm or a spyware...I mean real infection. Not the instances when your antivirus catches a file while surfing or downloading or checking emails.

About a month back. I was infected with smit fraud worm. I got this exe pic file through yahoo messenger. I was using NOD32 v3 by then and i thought why not run the file, because NOD might block it. But i was wrong. NOD didnt act up and I got infected. Had to remove NOD and go back to Kaspersky 7.

heh. whenever i want to check out suspicious files... i download them first and manually scan them. u can never tell when an antivirus fails to detect a virus...

2 weeks before. I had to format my entire HD to get rid of it!

i think it is 2 months back. it happened before i bought my new hdd. it made me format the hdd 🙁

so what way did you end up getting the virus? using internet explorer?playing with a risky file knowing it's risky?

heh. whenever i want to check out suspicious files... i download them first and manually scan them. u can never tell when an antivirus fails to detect a virus...
After i came to know that i was indeed infected, i tried manually scanning the exe picture file. Still NOD didnt find it as malware. And i thought it was one of the best AV around.

4 yrs back on Win 98, that too some relative got some viruson email and opened some scr or pif file.After that using Linux, windows partition deleted completely.Anyone comes they HAVE to use Linux and FF

😀 i would love to put linux on my relative's machine. but i have realized that it is pretty hard to get reliance datacard on it 🙂and some other obscure hardware...and if i install linux on it... he would be totally dependent on me for support as his local guy would be totally incapable of helping him with a linux powered machine.i have a question... my friend has his HDD with a major virus infection. installing an antivirus on it is not helping... if i install that clamAV thingy on my ubuntu machine and use that to scan his hard disk... would it work?

I don't use antivirus software any more at all. Just use Hijackthis. Keep on monitoring your pc on a regular basis by keeping it clean. Scan it using Hijackthis. Any Suspicious file you find. Remove it

Yesterday... got it from a pen drive, it was that "Funny UST Scandal.avi.exe" virus. Had to search google and manually remove it. Don't know why avast wasn't able to detect it.

if i install that clamAV thingy on my ubuntu machine and use that to scan his hard disk... would it work?

If you can connect the hdd as a local disk on your machine, then it should.

clamav does not clean virus.. just detects.btw even if it does not clean, its one of the best AV

its the same Funny UST Scandal.avi.exe thingy found that clam wont remove the virususing comodo for the time being... lets see if it works 🙂

it would not clean the registry i guess. that's a risk that i would have to take i guess. 😀