• Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 23,013
Status
Not open for further replies.

swaps22

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
In the month of February there was some rumors in Media, about Virgin Mobiles entry into GSM market But now its confirm news that Virgin Mobile is ready to enter in the GSM space of India. Headquartered in the UK, Virgin Mobile will go ahead with its alliance with Tata Teleservices to enter the GSM network.

Jamie Heywood, deputy CEO, Virgin Mobile India, said that the company was trying to expand its reach in the GSM telecom arena. “We are getting into the GSM segment via the Tatas network. We have a commercial agreement with Tata Teleservices to offer our service on the GSM network. The agreement is technology-agnostic,” he said.
Tata Teleservices has GSM licence for 19 circles and has received GSM spectrum for 13 circles. The company has announced its investments to roll out GSM services in the 16 circles.

A year after its launch, Virgin Mobile still hasn’t been able to pull enough subscribers with its MVNO model CDMA service.Heywood said that the entry of Virgin into the GSM space would give the operator an edge to reach out to a larger subscriber base. “At present, around 70 per cent of the total mobile subscriber base in the country is GSM and entry into that space will help us expand our business reach,” he said. He said that the offerings of the company in GSM would be based on the franchisee model. The company is not looking at an entry as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) in India, Heywood added.
“Globally we have been offering services in both the models — as an MVNO and also as a franchisee. In India, we will be offering our services as a franchisee operator. We have been a GSM operator in the UK, France, South Africa and Australia. We offer CDMA services in the US and Canada,” he said.
The company offers handset bundling offers with Samsung, Spice, Fly mobile, Huawei, ZTE and Haier. At present, the operator offers 12 handset models which include six exclusive handsets for Virgin.

tata is yet to launch their own gsm operations...

yup! even i was wondering how can they launch gsm when tata has not launched yet?Maybe they would collaborate with some other operator like aircel or idea:huh:

they are likely to stick with tata gsm whenever it is launched coz it would have a nationwide coverage.

can happen any day now.

the latest news for tata indicom was their collaboration with facebook...

Tata Indicom

AFAIK tata indicom does have some gsm networks :ashamed:though not nation wide, they are present in some circles

well yeah. even reliance had an operations GSM network before the nationwide launch earlier this year... 🙂i went to dharamsala 2 years ago... reliance gsm was all around...

In the month of February there was some rumors in Media, about Virgin Mobiles entry into GSM market[/COLOR] But now its confirm news that Virgin Mobile is ready to enter in the GSM space of India. Headquartered in the UK, Virgin Mobile will go ahead with its alliance with Tata Teleservices to enter the GSM network.

A year after its launch, Virgin Mobile still hasn’t been able to pull enough subscribers with its MVNO model CDMA service.Heywood said that the entry of Virgin into the GSM space would give the operator an edge to reach out to a larger subscriber base. “At present, around 70 per cent of the total mobile subscriber base in the country is GSM and entry into that space will help us expand our business reach,” he said. He said that the offerings of the company in GSM would be based on the franchisee model. The company is not looking at an entry as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) in India, Heywood added.
“Globally we have been offering services in both the models — as an MVNO and also as a franchisee. In India, we will be offering our services as a franchisee operator. We have been a GSM operator in the UK, France, South Africa and Australia. We offer CDMA services in the US and Canada,” he said.
The company offers handset bundling offers with Samsung, Spice, Fly mobile, Huawei, ZTE and Haier. At present, the operator offers 12 handset models which include six exclusive handsets for Virgin.

thanks for this important information.....

Today i emailed to virgin mobile for virgin gsm , their reply was very quick and their reply is
Hi Gourav

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your interest in virgin mobile India.

We are shortly launching our GSM services in India.

This would take a little while to do so, as soon as it gets launched it will be informed through relevant mass media.

You have to wait for some more time to taste the Virgin flavor.
Please visit our website www.virginmobile.in for more information.

Kind Regards

Jithu

The Team at Virgin Mobile

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:43 AM
To: Care
Subject: Virgin Gsm

Dear Sir,
Are u going to launch gsm services very soon?Thanks....

I hope they launch their services soon. Their ads are awesome and they have some nice offers, in CDMA category.

I will definitely take a GSM connection as soon as it is launched in my place...:yahoo:

virgin in GSM wow!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:😕😕😕but i dont think they will have their own network virgin will use tata indicom's network in GSM technology

virgin in GSM wow!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

😕😕😕

but i dont think they will have their own network
virgin will use tata indicom's network in GSM technology

yeah,hope they launch it soon..they are pretty good in cdma..🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.